Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSA loses power to collect Americans’ phone records after no deal in Senate

NSA loses power to collect Americans’ phone records after no deal in Senate

WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency lost its authority at midnight to collect Americans’ phone records in bulk, after Republican Sen. Rand Paul stood in the way of extending the fiercely contested program in an extraordinary Sunday session in the Senate.

But that program and several other post-Sept. 11, 2001 counter-terror measures look likely to be revived within days. With no other options, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell reluctantly embraced a House of Representatives-passed bill that would extend the provisions, while also remaking the bulk phone collections program.

Although the lapse in the programs may be brief, intelligence officials warned that it could jeopardize Americans’ safety. But civil liberties groups applauded as Paul, who is running for president, forced the expiration of the once-secret program made public by NSA contractor Edward Snowden. Critics call it an unconstitutional intrusion into Americans’ privacy.

The Senate voted 77-17 to move ahead on the House-passed bill, the USA Freedom Act.

Read More...
    Rand Paul is cetrainly putting up a fight. This whole fiasco makes Mitch McConnel look like an idiot. Surely he did not expect that his last minute plans to keep the hated PATRIOT Act as is, would survive in the post Snowden-Era?
    ´
    “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
    Rand Paul is cetrainly putting up a fight. This whole fiasco makes Mitch McConnel look like an idiot. Surely he did not expect that his last minute plans to keep the hated PATRIOT Act as is, would survive in the post Snowden-Era?
    Rand Paul also made the egregious and disingenuous statement during his rants that he believed that some in the Senate hoped for a terrorist attack on the US just to prove him wrong.

McConnel may look like an idiot, but Rand Paul definitely is one. The first can be fixed; the second is a permanent disability.

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Good. They never should have had that sort of power to begin with.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Again, as I pointed out in another thread, this is an empty gesture, typical of RP's zero-substance showmanship.

The NSA can still collect any records they want, but the paperwork will now require a secretary to make eleven extra copies and faxes.

Rand Paul: he has it in for entry level admin.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Most of whom deserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
            Rand Paul also made the egregious and disingenuous statement during his rants that he believed that some in the Senate hoped for a terrorist attack on the US just to prove him wrong.
            McConnel may look like an idiot, but Rand Paul definitely is one. The first can be fixed; the second is a permanent disability.
            Rand is a hypocrite. Enough said.
            you can always count on Rand, when the crony establishment needs a vote.
            http://www.targetliberty.com/2015/05...ian-votes.html

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
              "Rand is a hypocrite"? And your point is...what? That Obama isn't? The Hildebeast isn't? Jeb Bush isn't?

Since when is hypocrisy a crime among politicians? If it is, you'd better start emptying out Washington, D.C. right now. You can tackle the state governments when you have finished pumping out that cesspool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                "Rand is a hypocrite"? And your point is...what? That Obama isn't? The Hildebeast isn't? Jeb Bush isn't?
                Because some people actually believe he isn't and believe he would represent something different.

Comment

Because some people actually believe he isn't and believe he would represent something different.
                  Oh...I see...like they did when they elected Obama. Or "BJ" Clinton.

Riiight....Better keep pumping...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Oh...I see...like they did when they elected Obama. Or "BJ" Clinton.
                    Riiight....Better keep pumping...
                    What can one say. Stupid is continuously recycled and repackaged.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure they just shut down the collection complex and the agents are just sitting around today with nothing to do.

Uh huh...
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                        Yeah, I'm sure they just shut down the collection complex and the agents are just sitting around today with nothing to do.

Uh huh...
                        I think you may be right. I'm glad that the NSA lost the power to get our phone records but I fear it will continue anyway, just even more under the table than it was before.
                        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                          I think you may be right. I'm glad that the NSA lost the power to get our phone records but I fear it will continue anyway, just even more under the table than it was before.
                          They didn't lose the ability.

All they lost was the ability to gather it under a single court order. So now they have to submit twelve identical requests to twelve different courts.

Like I said above, more work for the secretary who operates the fax machine.

Its political grandstanding without substance. In other words, Rand Paul.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

What can one say. Stupid is continuously recycled and repackaged.
                            Obviously...

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              They didn't lose the ability.

All they lost was the ability to gather it under a single court order. So now they have to submit twelve identical requests to twelve different courts.

Like I said above, more work for the secretary who operates the fax machine.

Its political grandstanding without substance. In other words, Rand Paul.
                              Or Barack Obama...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X