Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soldier Killed In Helo Crash Denied Arlington Burial

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Soldier Killed In Helo Crash Denied Arlington Burial

    Personally, I think this is wrong. If he was the flight mechanic aboard at the time of the crash, and the flight was an official military flight, then he was "on duty", period. Sometimes the sheer stupidity of our civilian leadership defies comprehension.

    In this regards, it is noteworthy that the Marines aboard that helicopter are eleigible to be buried at Arlington.

    A U.S. Army soldier from the Louisiana National Guard who was killed in a helicopter crash with 10 others off the coast of Florida has been denied burial at Arlington National Cemetery because he was not on active duty at the time of his death.
    A spokesman for the Louisiana National Guard confirmed Friday to Fox News that Staff Sgt. Thomas Florich, 26, of Baton Rouge, La. had been turned away from Arlington. A Pentagon source told Fox it was “due to his duty status at the time of the crash.”
    A U.S. Army spokeswoman said in a statement that while Florich is eligible to receive military honors and inurnment, "he does not meet the requirements for burial in Arlington National Cemetery."
    Florich was the flight mechanic aboard the Army UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter when it crashed March 11 in the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida panhandle about 50 miles east of Pensacola.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ntcmp=HPBucket
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

  • #2
    Here's the requirements for burial at Arlington National Cemetery:

    http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/eligib.htm
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

    Comment


    • #3
      Being buried in Arlington is over rated in my opinion. Not to mention that unless you are someone important, the wait time is a couple months just to be planted. Why put your loved ones through that?
      Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by drivin-fool View Post
        Being buried in Arlington is over rated in my opinion. Not to mention that unless you are someone important, the wait time is a couple months just to be planted. Why put your loved ones through that?
        Gotta disagree with your opening statement. Regardless of its beginning, Arlington has been elevated to a shrine in itself. Of course the honor is intrinsic and as such, it’s value is open to opinion. In my geneaology research, I have run across a few descendants that would have qualified for internment at Arlington. Burial at the National Cemeteries at the LBH and Laramie National resting places were chosen for some. Most were buried in their local area.
        Due to his DSC, my Avatar was eligible for the honor. My Aunt and I set down and seriously discussed this. She was as patriotic as any woman who lived through the depression and WWII.
        It was an emotional 2 hours. Though I promised to pay for a trip to WDC for the internment, she ultimately realized that she might never visit the grave. She would have been eligible to be buried beside him. We live in East. WA State. A long way from the East Coast.
        Ida decided to bury him in our local major cemetery in the “Veterans Section”. A conservative area (not that liberals do not respect our veterans) our veterans section has a large statuary and meditation center. The VFW and Am. Leg. spend a great deal of time maintaining the area.
        My pride in having Ivan and Ida interred in Arlington would have been immense. However, the honor that I, my children and grandchildren have a chance to display honor to them is beyond measure.
        My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by holly6 View Post
          Gotta disagree with your opening statement. Regardless of its beginning, Arlington has been elevated to a shrine in itself. Of course the honor is intrinsic and as such, it’s value is open to opinion. In my geneaology research, I have run across a few descendants that would have qualified for internment at Arlington. Burial at the National Cemeteries at the LBH and Laramie National resting places were chosen for some. Most were buried in their local area.
          Due to his DSC, my Avatar was eligible for the honor. My Aunt and I set down and seriously discussed this. She was as patriotic as any woman who lived through the depression and WWII.
          It was an emotional 2 hours. Though I promised to pay for a trip to WDC for the internment, she ultimately realized that she might never visit the grave. She would have been eligible to be buried beside him. We live in East. WA State. A long way from the East Coast.
          Ida decided to bury him in our local major cemetery in the “Veterans Section”. A conservative area (not that liberals do not respect our veterans) our veterans section has a large statuary and meditation center. The VFW and Am. Leg. spend a great deal of time maintaining the area.
          My pride in having Ivan and Ida interred in Arlington would have been immense. However, the honor that I, my children and grandchildren have a chance to display honor to them is beyond measure.
          My father and uncle were both vets that saw combat. I do not know if they would have qualified for a National Cemetery or even buried with any sort of military recognition. I think they would have still preferred to be buried among family.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

          Prayers.

          BoRG

          http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by drivin-fool View Post
            Being buried in Arlington is over rated in my opinion. Not to mention that unless you are someone important, the wait time is a couple months just to be planted. Why put your loved ones through that?
            Because it is an important symbol of national recognition?

            You never served, did you?
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Because it is an important symbol of national recognition?

              You never served, did you?
              Yes I did serve in the USN as a matter of fact MM. My point is while Arlington is a distinguished place to be laid to rest, I personally think it is over rated. There is a waiting list months long to even be buried unless you get fast tracked. Again I ask, why would you put your family through that? They would just be starting the healing process only to have the wound opened up again in a few months when it is finally your turn to be buried. Unless you live fairly close, there is no visiting the grave. To me the cons outweigh the pros here.
              Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by drivin-fool View Post
                Yes I did serve in the USN as a matter of fact MM. My point is while Arlington is a distinguished place to be laid to rest, I personally think it is over rated. There is a waiting list months long to even be buried unless you get fast tracked. Again I ask, why would you put your family through that? They would just be starting the healing process only to have the wound opened up again in a few months when it is finally your turn to be buried. Unless you live fairly close, there is no visiting the grave. To me the cons outweigh the pros here.

                Doesn't matter what you feel about being buried in Arlington - it only matters what the soldier's parents feel.

                Let's focus on that, shall we?


                Was the mission authorized? Is he eligible or not? Seems like he had to be "on duty" to be on the mission, right?
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Was the mission authorized? Is he eligible or not? Seems like he had to be "on duty" to be on the mission, right?
                  As a National Guardsman he was 'active duty for training.' And if that is the case, he is not eligible by the rules posted earlier for burial in Arlington.

                  Sincerely,
                  M
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                    You never served, did you?
                    You are developing a very bad habit of accusing people of that on this forum. That's twice that I know of that you have done it and on both occasions you were wrong.

                    You really ought to watch your mouth on certain subjects and this is obviously one of them.

                    False accusations are never acceptable.

                    Sincerely,
                    M
                    We are not now that strength which in old days
                    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just my opinion, but I don't think any of the victims of the crash should be eligible for Arlington unless they have some previous combat experience that might warrant the honor. I know they're running out of room at Arlington so I think it might be time to start tightening the requirements...say combat veterans who received certain awards (not sure which...purple heart or maybe an award for valor). I agree that if any of them are eligible they all should be but I just don't agree that every active duty service person should be buried there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can be buried there, so can my wife. In both cases we meet the requirements. I have not a real desire to be buried there. The person in question doesn't meet the requirements. Period. All other National Military Cemetery's are very honorable places to be buried. Rather in one of those than at a tourist attraction.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                          Just my opinion, but I don't think any of the victims of the crash should be eligible for Arlington unless they have some previous combat experience that might warrant the honor. I know they're running out of room at Arlington so I think it might be time to start tightening the requirements...say combat veterans who received certain awards (not sure which...purple heart or maybe an award for valor). I agree that if any of them are eligible they all should be but I just don't agree that every active duty service person should be buried there.
                          Your opinion is basically the requirements for burial there.
                          Кто там?
                          Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                          Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                            Your opinion is basically the requirements for burial there.
                            You might what to check on your facts.

                            http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho....html?serv=147
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                            Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                            you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              You might what to check on your facts.

                              http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho....html?serv=147
                              Massena already posted them directly from the cemetery's site and I read them. Perhaps there is a recognizable map labeled in another language posted somewhere on this site you can complain about for the sake of it.

                              And perhaps you can exercise some reading comprehension and understand we were discussing the people involved in the accident not all peOple...
                              Last edited by Stryker 19K30; 02 Jun 15, 14:59.
                              Кто там?
                              Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                              Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X