X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    Has anybody stated the fact that Jackson was a slave owner and would today be considered a hopeless racist? This whole thread belongs in the Alternative History forum. Jackson today would be locked up for his views. Racist and quite possibly a genocidal maniac. Look up his record on dealing with Native Americans. Not good. Speculated in land deals that the government had set aside for the NAs and then agitated for war against those very same NAs. Granted he was a "man of his time" but the OP made no stipulation that we should adjust Jackson for the now. Therefore I would not want Jackson or anyone else from the 19th Century as our president today.

Ridiculous premise for a thread.
    "Locked up for his views"? I doubt that very much Not when the biggest racist in America is sitting in the White House? And the racist Jeremy Wright preaches his hatred every Sunday to people just like like the Obamas, while the racist likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson make millions off their vitriolic racist hatred of whites?

And definitely not when Jackson's views on slavery are identical to Corporate America's views on the use of Third World illegals to provide cheap labor.

Instead, if Jackson were alive today, he would be hailed as a white community leader and probably the leader of a politically powerful white militia, or he would be president like the racist who is president now.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 01 Jun 15, 11:01.

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
    I would accept Jackson as POTUS over Obama during any time period. Obama is worthless as a national leader, and worthless as a human being. For "all" of his faults, Jackson led the country. He wasn't a coward.
    You are absolutely correct. Obama has detached himself from the reality in the world because he has no experience of it and cannot deal with the ISIS problem nor with accomplished scoundrels such as Putin.

It's going to be a long haul until January 2017 and if by some gross error in judgment of the American electorate Hillary Clinton gets elected, the haul will be even longer.

Sincerely,
    M

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    I would accept Jackson as POTUS over Obama during any time period. Obama is worthless as a national leader, and worthless as a human being. For "all" of his faults, Jackson led the country. He wasn't a coward.

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied
    Originally posted by Savez View Post
    See why I defend my Southern ancestors so much?

I can't rep you at the moment or I would. Well said.
    I've always understood it and I certainly don't blame you and many times agree with you.

And thanks for the positive reinforcement.

Sincerely,
    M

Leave a comment:

• Savez
    replied
    Has anybody stated the fact that Jackson was a slave owner and would today be considered a hopeless racist? This whole thread belongs in the Alternative History forum. Jackson today would be locked up for his views. Racist and quite possibly a genocidal maniac. Look up his record on dealing with Native Americans. Not good. Speculated in land deals that the government had set aside for the NAs and then agitated for war against those very same NAs. Granted he was a "man of his time" but the OP made no stipulation that we should adjust Jackson for the now. Therefore I would not want Jackson or anyone else from the 19th Century as our president today.

I don't want President Obama as our president now. Although I agree it is hard to compare the two.

Leave a comment:

• Savez
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    And if we weren't lucky enough to have them as Founding Fathers, we would not have a country. They had the strength of character and moral courage to do what they did and what they wrought was to our benefit.

To moralize over what revisionists (in the worst sense of the word) have attempted to attribute to them is both absurd and stupid.

These folks on their 'high moral plane' of early 21st century political correctness, inaccurate historical revisionism, and just plain ignorance just don't get it.
    Sincerely,
    M
    See why I defend my Southern ancestors so much?

I can't rep you at the moment or I would. Well said.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    Pretty much my intitial point - it would be akin to trying to claim that Lincoln would be a good president to today's society, which would be radical and insanely liberal to men from that generation.

What about the founding fathers? Could you imagine their horror if they saw what America was today? Women voting? Homosexuals open about their relationships?

The men who created the Constitution would be horrified, if not violently disgusted, if they saw how far we'd moved beyond their concept of what a just or moral society should be.

I mean, a black president. That very concept wouldn't sit well with almost every one of our presidents.
    Well said.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    Has anybody stated the fact that Jackson was a slave owner and would today be considered a hopeless racist?
    Again, for those that can't be bothered to read the thread:

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
    Not discussing personal, discussing how each President governed.
    This whole thread belongs in the Alternative History forum.
    You don't understand alternative history, this isn't a 'what if' thread. It is a comparison of how two Presidents governed......it really is that simple Bob.

Jackson today would be locked up for his views. Racist and quite possibly a genocidal maniac. Look up his record on dealing with Native Americans. Not good. Speculated in land deals that the government had set aside for the NAs and then agitated for war against those very same NAs.

The correct comparisons for Obama is not Abraham Lincoln, but Andrew Jackson. The Jackson administration pulled off one of the biggest peacetime land grabs in U.S. history. In defiance of the law and the Supreme Court, he dispossessed Indians of their lands and sent them on the “Trail of Tears,” one of the darkest episodes in American history. In the name of the people, the populist Jackson imposed his own will on institutions that defied him.

L’État, c’est moi.

Obama is Jacksonian, not Lincolnesque. He listens not to the wisdom of the Founding Fathers, but to the popular wishes of the mob. In the tradition of modern Democrats, he has moved to expand the mob, then subjugate it to dependency.

While other American families would suffer in the aftermath of the economic downturn, Obama rewarded federal employees with raises. The Obama administration increased the size of the federal government by 10 percent since 2009, and the bureaucracy will grow even more under Obamacare.

Read more at http://www.commdiginews.com/history-...OSZRc5yrP0X.99

Granted he was a "man of his time" but the OP made no stipulation that we should adjust Jackson for the now. Therefore I would not want Jackson or anyone else from the 19th Century as our president today.
    Again Bob, this isn't about President Jackson governing now, this is about two President's method of governing.

It really is a simple concept Bob.

If you could back out of the box that you put yourself in, maybe you would then realize how ridiculous your above statement is.

Leave a comment:

• lakechampainer
    replied
    Pretty much my intitial point - it would be akin to trying to claim that Lincoln would be a good president to today's society, which would be radical and insanely liberal to men from that generation.

What about the founding fathers? Could you imagine their horror if they saw what America was today? Women voting? Homosexuals open about their relationships?

The men who created the Constitution would be horrified, if not violently disgusted, if they saw how far we'd moved beyond their concept of what a just or moral society should be.

I mean, a black president. That very concept wouldn't sit well with almost every one of our presidents.
    I think they would also be horrified by things that I am, such as the NSA as Big Brother. Or the other Alphabet Soup agencies for that matter.

I don't think they would understand why it took so long to execute McVeigh and no doubt the same with Tsarnaev.

Most of them put their lives on the line multiple times.

Maybe the good old days weren't so good, but this sure ain't "The Best of All Possible Worlds"

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Well Jackson was badly scarred on his face by Smallpox. This is usually edited out of his portraits. I believe Barrak has yet to catch Smallpox.

Pruitt

And Jackson wasn't a flaming narcissist with a messaniac complex , while Obama definitely is.

Neither was Jackson a "community organizer". He was more likely to destroy your community for a good cause.

We might as well be trying to compare Obama to Lincoln or FDR, or Wilson or Harding, or....

Leave a comment:

• Massena
    replied

And if we weren't lucky enough to have them as Founding Fathers, we would not have a country. They had the strength of character and moral courage to do what they did and what they wrought was to our benefit.

To moralize over what revisionists (in the worst sense of the word) have attempted to attribute to them is both absurd and stupid.

These folks on their 'high moral plane' of early 21st century political correctness, inaccurate historical revisionism, and just plain ignorance just don't get it.

Sincerely,
    M

Leave a comment:

• Daemon of Decay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Jackson the "racist" hated Indians, but he also adopted a baby boy they found in a Creek Town they burned. He raised the boy as his own. His House Slaves probably ran Rachel's and his lives when he was home.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Well Obama is a hopeless racist... I don't think he's owned slaves but I wouldn't rule out he's tried to...

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
    In a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X