Los Angeles Unions Like The New Minimum Wage, For Everybody But Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Angeles Unions Like The New Minimum Wage, For Everybody But Them

The union pushes for $15 an hour but now want to be exempt from it.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/27/lo...body-but-them/
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

They probably realize that this minimum wage will shoot down a lot of jobs and replace them with automated machinery and robots.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 30 May 15, 12:58.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      They probably realize that this minimum wage will shot down a lot of jobs and replace them with automated machinery and robots.
      That or more low paid workers are satisfied with their new wage and are refusing to join unions...

Comment

It may already be too late.
        http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/22/tech...st-food-robot/
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

The union guy in the article sounds like a hypocritical a-hole. Of course it's good for the employers and employees to be free to negotiate...trouble is the same people who say that are the ones who pushed for the $15 per hour minimum wage in the first place which removes the ability to negotiate. That's why they want to opt out...the whole thing is moronic. I also don't see how they figure just 500K people will be affected by the new minimum wage. In LA there have to be more than that. You have to count all people making less than $15, not just the ones making minimum wage now. People making $8 now aren't going to leapfrog over those making $13 or $14...the people making $13-14 have to get bumped up to $15 too and I'm sure in LA there are more than half a million making under $15.
          The guy also thinks that it'll mean a 'small one-time rise in restaurant prices'...what an idiot. It'll mean a rise in all prices across the board, not just restaurants. Factories, stores, delivery people etc will all need to be brought up to $15 and the companies will either close their doors, move, or raise prices to cover it.
          People who make $15-20 now, who may have worked several years to get to that pay rate and are maybe finally breathing a little easier will now be back to minimum wage or just over it, and they won't get a raise to compensate for the general increase in prices they'll now be faced with. In LA, there will be even more people immigrating, both illegally and legally, trying to get one of those $15 an hour jobs, so together with the loss of jobs the unemployment rate will go up in my opinion. Luckily the people making $15 will be paying more in taxes so they can help pay for the increased unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
            The union guy in the article sounds like a hypocritical a-hole. Of course it's good for the employers and employees to be free to negotiate...trouble is the same people who say that are the ones who pushed for the $15 per hour minimum wage in the first place which removes the ability to negotiate. That's why they want to opt out...the whole thing is moronic. I also don't see how they figure just 500K people will be affected by the new minimum wage. In LA there have to be more than that. You have to count all people making less than $15, not just the ones making minimum wage now. People making $8 now aren't going to leapfrog over those making $13 or $14...the people making $13-14 have to get bumped up to $15 too and I'm sure in LA there are more than half a million making under $15.
            The guy also thinks that it'll mean a 'small one-time rise in restaurant prices'...what an idiot. It'll mean a rise in all prices across the board, not just restaurants. Factories, stores, delivery people etc will all need to be brought up to $15 and the companies will either close their doors, move, or raise prices to cover it.
            People who make $15-20 now, who may have worked several years to get to that pay rate and are maybe finally breathing a little easier will now be back to minimum wage or just over it, and they won't get a raise to compensate for the general increase in prices they'll now be faced with. In LA, there will be even more people immigrating, both illegally and legally, trying to get one of those $15 an hour jobs, so together with the loss of jobs the unemployment rate will go up in my opinion. Luckily the people making $15 will be paying more in taxes so they can help pay for the increased unemployment.
            Correct - it's the ancient Chinese curse..."Be careful - you may get what you wish for".
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X