"Poor" IRS Pays $1000/hour To Outside Attorneys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Poor" IRS Pays $1000/hour To Outside Attorneys

Ever feel like you're living in Wonderland right alongside Alice?

Despite repeated cries of agency poverty from IRS leaders, a top Republican senator says the nation's chief revenue collector is paying private attorneys more than $1,000 an hour to help conduct a high-profile audit.
    Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, fired off a letter to IRS Commissioner John Koskinen airing his concerns earlier this month. Hatch questioned not only the cost of the contract, but the decision to use an outside contractor for an investigation involving potentially sensitive tax information.
    "In my experience as chairman, I know that both the IRS Office of Chief Counsel and Justice Department employ excellent attorneys who should be more than able to conduct an examination without turning over interviews and document requests to private contractors," Hatch wrote.
    His letter said the contract inked last year with law firm Quinn Emanuel is worth $2.2 million, and allows for attorneys to reap over $1,000 an hour "to carry out functions that are more properly carried out by Treasury officials."
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ng-complaints/
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

$1000 an hour isn't all that bad. We budget $400 an hour for forensic accounting, and I'm sure their cases are much grander in scale.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      $1000 an hour isn't all that bad. We budget $400 an hour for forensic accounting, and I'm sure their cases are much grander in scale.
      You didn't read the article. The IRS has access to Treasury Dept accountants who can do it for much less, and the IRS claims to be hurting for funding.

Come early, stay late, bring a lunch. You'll get the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        You didn't read the article. The IRS has access to Treasury Dept accountants who can do it for much less, and the IRS claims to be hurting for funding.

Come early, stay late, bring a lunch. You'll get the hang of it.
        The point of bringing in contract forensic auditors is that they have no potential for accusations of bias. This is vital when assembling white collar criminal cases involving complex money transfers and accounting.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Also check into WHO is being hired to do the work. Are they experienced in the field or maybe campaign donors?

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

It's all about who you know.
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              Also check into WHO is being hired to do the work. Are they experienced in the field or maybe campaign donors?

Pruitt
              Generally, the best forensic CPAs available are in the private sector.

Why slug along for a state or Federal wage when you can draw a couple hundred+ bucks an hour as a contractor?

If you look through the top-billing companies, you'll fine their auditors are usually 'exes'. Ex-FBI, Ex-Treasury, ex-major State agencies.

Outside audits are often mandated when agencies get accused of something. And third-party audits in certain contested cases.

Its nothing new, nor unusual.

Comment

Generally, the best forensic CPAs available are in the private sector.

Why slug along for a state or Federal wage when you can draw a couple hundred+ bucks an hour as a contractor?

If you look through the top-billing companies, you'll fine their auditors are usually 'exes'. Ex-FBI, Ex-Treasury, ex-major State agencies.

Outside audits are often mandated when agencies get accused of something. And third-party audits in certain contested cases.

Its nothing new, nor unusual.
                Over here you cant get even a junior solicitor for less than 100 quid an hour, so your outrage has once again been found to be based on ignorance

Comment

There was a major blood-letting about 10 years ago when many experienced tax attorneys were let go from IRS due to budget cuts. Another point to consider in regards to the use of accountants versus attorneys is that attorneys have more insight into the subleties of the tax code and the associated regulations. Therefor, depending upon the situation, in certain situations, the use of a tax attorney over a tax accountant might be the most prudent use of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post
                    Over here you cant get even a junior solicitor for less than 100 quid an hour, so your outrage has once again been found to be based on ignorance
                    I wasn't outraged, I was trying to explain to those who were outraged how things worked.

Originally posted by Gorque
                    There was a major blood-letting about 10 years ago when many experienced tax attorneys were let go from IRS due to budget cuts. Another point to consider in regards to the use of accountants versus attorneys is that attorneys have more insight into the subleties of the tax code and the associated regulations. Therefor, depending upon the situation, in certain situations, the use of a tax attorney over a tax accountant might be the most prudent use of resources.
                    Very true.

Comment

I wasn't outraged, I was trying to explain to those who were outraged how things worked.

Very true.
                      Sorry, that was directed at MM

Comment

The brighter amongst us already know "how things work", which is why we are outraged in the first place.

The real question is - why aren't you? Are things that corrupt on a daily basis in Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          The brighter amongst us already know "how things work", which is why we are outraged in the first place.

The real question is - why aren't you? Are things that corrupt on a daily basis in Texas?
                          I was trying to explain to you why $1000 an hour isn't all that much in this matter. Because it isn't.

Everyone here understands you're having health issues, you're getting old, and you're getting stir-crazy stuck in the house, MM, but how about acting a little less like a three year old having a tantrum?

I feel sorry for you, but I'm going to put you back on my IL until you find the courage to face your declining years with some dignity and human value. I hope you find something good in what remains of your life before its too late.

Good luck and God Bless.

Comment

Working...
                          X