Obama reduced to trying to get Progressive cities to do his agenda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama reduced to trying to get Progressive cities to do his agenda

Flummoxed on foreign policy, unable and unwilling to work with Congress, states opposing him, Obama seemingly is reduced to trying to get like-minded mayors of larger cities to work with him to get his agenda passed locally.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...tegy/27602149/

President Obama has quietly racked up a series of legislative victories during the past few months as lawmakers have enthusiastically embraced his calls for a higher minimum wage, paid sick leave and universal pre-kindergarten.

Instead of Capitol Hill, those victories happened in city halls, state houses and county buildings far from Washington.

At least six major cities — Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Tacoma, Wash., and Washington, D.C. — have passed paid sick leave laws in the four months since Obama called for state and local action in this year's State of the Union Address. Since the 2013 address when Obama called for an increase in the minimum wage, 17 states and six major cities have taken action, including Los Angeles last week.
    While the article's author gushes about Obama's "success," what I take away from it is his impotence. That the only place he can get anything done is on a local level with friendly like-minded politicians.

There's also resistance. Jon Russell is a councilman in Culpeper, Va., and the director of the American City County Exchange, a year-old initiative of the small-government American Legislative Exchange Council.

Russell said states — not cities, not Congress and not the president — should be the primary regulator of labor conditions. Obama, he said, is "hop-skipping over the states."

"With the number of states that have now turned to the opposite political party, he doesn't have the allies there that he used to," Russell said. "To work with the urban areas to push his agenda is not surprising. It's the only allies he really has."
    That seems far more realistic in terms of what Obama is doing. One more indication of just how ineffective and incompetent this failure of a President really is.

Like his Justice Department rulings on policing that has resulted in an explosion of violent crime in Chicago and Baltimore, we will see an explosion of unemployment as businesses abandon those locations or cut employees and hours to control expenses.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      Flummoxed on foreign policy, unable and unwilling to work with Congress, states opposing him, Obama seemingly is reduced to trying to get like-minded mayors of larger cities to work with him to get his agenda passed locally.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...tegy/27602149/

While the article's author gushes about Obama's "success," what I take away from it is his impotence. That the only place he can get anything done is on a local level with friendly like-minded politicians.

That seems far more realistic in terms of what Obama is doing. One more indication of just how ineffective and incompetent this failure of a President really is.

I actually look forward to the mandated $15/hour minimum wage. Not because I think it is reasonable or logical, but because I want to see how the efforts to legislate prosperity play out.

I'm betting it results in the unemployment of many of the people they claim it will help.
      But that's just me thinking logically.
      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
        I actually look forward to the mandated $15/hour minimum wage. Not because I think it is reasonable or logical, but because I want to see how the efforts to legislate prosperity play out.

I'm betting it results in the unemployment of many of the people they claim it will help.
        Like you, I believe that will be what we see. The probable result deeply saddens me. Things are bad enough for a lot of people already - they don't need Obama's false hopes.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Like you, I believe that will be what we see. The probable result deeply saddens me. Things are bad enough for a lot of people already - they don't need Obama's false hopes.
          I agree completely. The people who put their hopes in these policies will likely end up being crushed by the results.
          But the politicians will benefit by appearing to care about the people they just helped destroy.

I have read that a number of fast food establishments are looking into replacing workers with kiosks that will take your order.
          A $15/hour wage will only accelerate that process.
          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

I'm betting you'll see these within months...

Why pay someone to take orders when you can do what grocery and home improvement stores have done and let the customer do it themselves? That's like $50 + an hour in employees gone.

Then you automate the kitchen...

Down to one or two employees that can solve problems and handle exceptions, you save hundreds of dollars an hour in labor costs and your few employees who are better skilled, trained, educated, and motivated are worth the $15 an hour.

Comment

Not to mention runaway inflation, since every has to raise salaries and prices to adjust to the forced pay increases.

Business depart or close franchises, other operations implement labor-saving systems, thus laying off workers.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Another one you see is contract labor...

The way this works (and it has happened in places like California) is you own say a hotel. You fire the cleaning and maintenance staff, etc., minimizing your own employees to management and front desk or the like (core activities).

What you do is hire Maids R Us or some like contractor company to provide the cleaning services. The contractor is located in a place that pays the lower minimum wage. The workers get that pay but work where the $15 an hour minimum applies. Since they are technically employed (on paper) in the lower wage location the contractor gets around the $15 an hour wage and the hotel gets cleaned as before by lower paid workers "imported" for the task.

Comment

I agree completely. The people who put their hopes in these policies will likely end up being crushed by the results.
                  But the politicians will benefit by appearing to care about the people they just helped destroy.

I have read that a number of fast food establishments are looking into replacing workers with kiosks that will take your order.
                  A $15/hour wage will only accelerate that process.
                  Agreed. It's just simple economics, and incredible stupidity on the part of the workers who somehow think that serving up fast food is worth more money to anybody, not just the managers and store owners but the customers as well, who are the ones who will really "pay higher wages" in the form of prices charged for products.

Fast food is already far more expensive than it should be for something that is basic subsistence eating.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X