Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you support bringing Syrian refugees to the U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you support bringing Syrian refugees to the U.S.

Looks like we will be bring thousands of Syrisn refugees to the U.S.!
    What could possibly go wrong? Plans are to bring several thousand to Idaho, God knows why, but I'm thinking the administration knows this state never votes for democrats so they have nothing to loose here.
    I fear we are just importing more problems, last time I checked, we did not have any shortage of problems.

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...in-the-us.html

Here is the argument for bringing Syrian refugees to the U.S.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...8ff_story.html

Here is the argument against,
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=28930114
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

I don't think we should allow them in. Maybe Canada has room?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

No, but hell no.... and **** them.

Notice how the comments have already been shut down.
      My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I think ISIS already has it too easy when it comes to getting Agents into the US.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
          With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
          Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
          A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
          Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
          Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
          Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
          The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
          With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
          Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
          The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
          Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
          I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

- American Poet Emma Lazarus, 1883, engraved on a bronze plaque and mounted inside the Statue of Liberty.

... but yeah, Canada will take a bunch.
          "I am Groot"
          - Groot

Comment

No. The US shouldn't have to be the world's day care center.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              Looks like we will be bring thousands of Syrisn refugees to the U.S.!
              What could possibly go wrong? Plans are to bring several thousand to Idaho, God knows why, but I'm thinking the administration knows this state never votes for democrats so they have nothing to loose here.
              I fear we are just importing more problems, last time I checked, we did not have any shortage of problems.

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...in-the-us.html

Here is the argument for bringing Syrian refugees to the U.S.
              http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...8ff_story.html

Here is the argument against,
              http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=28930114

Wrt the present day situation in Syria, millions of Syrian refugees are now in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq. Some 150,000 Syrian refugees are now in the EU.

An estimated 9 million Syrians have fled their homes since the outbreak of civil war in March 2011, taking refuge in neighbouring countries or within Syria itself. According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), over 3 million have fled to Syria's immediate neighbours Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq. 6.5 million are internally displaced within Syria. Meanwhile, under 150,000 Syrians have declared asylum in the European Union, while member states have pledged to resettle a further 33,000 Syrians. The vast majority of these resettlement spots 28,500 or 85% are pledged by Germany.

more,

http://syrianrefugees.eu/

So many people have fled Syria that even our country, which is thousands of miles from the situation, is feeling the effects of refugee problem caused by the warfare in Syria.

If the ME countries can take on the Bulk of the Syrian refugees, if the EU can handle the 150,000 so refugees, then I think the USA should entertain the prospect of taking in more refugees. I have read reports that the USA has taken in about 600 Syrian Refugees so far.

I would also add, that if the USA does decide to take in more Syrian refugees, that other countries such as Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, should also entertain the prospect of taking in Syrian refugees.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                No. The US shouldn't have to be the world's day care center.
                It should be our option to be, or not.

Just like any other country in the world.
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                  Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
                  With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
                  Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
                  A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
                  Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
                  Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
                  Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
                  The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
                  With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
                  Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
                  The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
                  Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
                  I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

- American Poet Emma Lazarus, 1883, engraved on a bronze plaque and mounted inside the Statue of Liberty.

... but yeah, Canada will take a bunch.
                  Interesting, did you know the Statue of Liberty had stood for over a quarter century before that poem was added?
                  Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
                    Wrt the present day situation in Syria, millions of Syrian refugees are now in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq. Some 150,000 Syrian refugees are now in the EU.

An estimated 9 million Syrians have fled their homes since the outbreak of civil war in March 2011, taking refuge in neighbouring countries or within Syria itself. According to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), over 3 million have fled to Syria's immediate neighbours Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq. 6.5 million are internally displaced within Syria. Meanwhile, under 150,000 Syrians have declared asylum in the European Union, while member states have pledged to resettle a further 33,000 Syrians. The vast majority of these resettlement spots 28,500 or 85% are pledged by Germany.

more,

http://syrianrefugees.eu/

So many people have fled Syria that even our country, which is thousands of miles from the situation, is feeling the effects of refugee problem caused by the warfare in Syria.

If the ME countries can take on the Bulk of the Syrian refugees, if the EU can handle the 150,000 so refugees, then I think the USA should entertain the prospect of taking in more refugees. I have read reports that the USA has taken in about 600 Syrian Refugees so far.

I would also add, that if the USA does decide to take in more Syrian refugees, that other countries such as Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, should also entertain the prospect of taking in Syrian refugees.
                    There is a cultural impact on both the nation that provides refuge and the refugee, I believe the best option for the refugee is to find a home in the area they are from or as close as possible. At the minimum it would serve the refugees best to live in a nation where their religion and traditions are practiced.

Comment

Yes,

Allow them in.
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

The refugee issue is the most difficult moral dilemma of our time and it is likely to get worse. Humans and their domesticated animals now make up 98% of vertebrate life on our planet's land mass. A fact that should give pause to anyone who feels population growth is not an issue. The next natural disaster of scale will make the current refugee problem seem like a storm in a teacup compared to what is coming.

I don't think redistribution of populations is an answer to our political problems anymore than I think redistribution of wealth is the answer to our social issues. At some point you simply run out of places to relocate people without creating new humanitarian issue. On the other hand we don't let people starve on the streets because we believe in a work ethic nor should we deny people refuge from war because we believe in political solutions.

In the case of the Middle East I say to all those people that claim the US destabilized the area by the war in Iraq that they are under a delusion that stability existed previously to the war. The existence or nonexistence of the US is irrelevant to what is happening. If the history of this area shows anything it's that the people living here are willing to kill each other and have been so willing since before recorded history. Responsibility more rational divided falls more on Britain, France, Italy and Germany than the US due to the history of colonialism. History again however shows that European colonialism was not needed to fan the flames of war.

If someone or something is to blame for the situation in the Middle East it is agriculture. The first person who learned to farm here sowed the seeds that enabled sufficient social organization to allow war to be endemic. It is no small irony that agricultural and civilization first appeared in this region. All of the problems we now discuss are a direct result of technology (agriculture being the most significant technology) and humans escaping the balancing forces of natural selection. We our now inescapable committed to cultural (technological) evolution.

The long term solution is cultural evolution that balances our incredible population growth with resources. Cultural evolution does not just mean new technology it also means learning to cooperate with each other. The fact that our physical evolution has not keep pace with our ability to manipulate the environment means that we are not emotionally suited for the world we must create.

It is this imbalance between our emotional needs and rational solutions that creates moral dilemmas. These emotional needs cannot be ignored they are as real as the need for water and food. Each and everyone one of us seeks love and pride in cultural origin. The situation in Syria is representative of a culture out of balance. The emotional malignancy of cultural identity has swamped rationality. In the same way our need for sexual love is swamping the ability of the planet to support us.

While we may be forced by moral obligations to accept refugees from Syria it is not a solution. The problem is bigger than Syria and as rational creatures the larger moral obligation is to abandon the malignant aspects of our own culture and make rationality viral. This cannot be done without some emotional cost as we abandoned preconceived ideas about what our rights and obligations are.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

I'm more interested in letting in potential citizens. Refugees are tragic, but letting them live a few years in a new home with the idea of throwing most of them back later when things improve just doesn't seem a smart solution for either party.

If there are Syrians who are tired of all the warfare and chaos of the region and want to become Americans, I say we can take as many as want to come aboard.

If they are just refugees who want to return to Syria as soon as reasonable, just keep them in the region and support their camps. Give them clean water, healthy food, and offer to educate their children - perhaps we can do some good in the meantime.

If they are like the boat people who were fleeing a homeland that didn't want them, then sure, they should be let in. But if they still want to return to Syria soon and don't really want to immigrate, then pay to keep them elsewhere.

Comment

Here is a novel idea. Why don't our leaders earn their pay for a change and come up with an actual strategy to deal with the root of the problem, rather than the fruit of it?
                            "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                              There is a cultural impact on both the nation that provides refuge and the refugee, I believe the best option for the refugee is to find a home in the area they are from or as close as possible. At the minimum it would serve the refugees best to live in a nation where their religion and traditions are practiced.
                              I agree with Urban Hermit. America is not the optimal answer.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X