Trans-Pacific Partnership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    Which is why we need a Rand Paul or someone like him in the White House.
    You think Rand Paul is opposed to the TPP and other WTO-inspired free trade agreements?
    U.S. Senator and Republican presidential hopeful Rand Paul (R-KY) is calling on President Barack Obama to conclude negotiations over the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) by year’s end.
    Paul views increased trade as essential to reviving sluggish economic growth. The senator commended Obama’s predecessor on promoting trade, pointing out that the George W. Bush administration brokered 14 new free trade agreements during its eight years in office, and negotiated three others that were eventually ratified during the Obama administration. By contrast, Senator Paul noted, that Obama hasn’t successfully negotiated a single new agreement since taking office.

“Instead of just talking about a so-called ‘pivot to Asia,’ the Obama administration should prioritize negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership by year’s end,” Paul said during the speech.

Trade in general, and the TPP in particular, are ideal issues for the Republican Party to engage the president on given that the GOP has long been the party most supportive of free trade.

Still, Republican support for free trade remains mostly intact at the elite level. Furthermore, by working with Obama on the TPP and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), Republicans would demonstrate that strengthening the economy is their number one priority, and that they are willing to work with President Obama to succeed. This would certainly help them expand their voter base for the 2016 election, something that Senator Paul has been on a (largely) one-man quest to do as of late.
    http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/rand-...pp-trade-deal/

Comment

Wow...another parade led by The Marching Morons, guided and encouraged as always by the Lemming Sheeple in their never-ending search for higher cliffs to run off the edge of.

Throughout history, wars of oppression and acts of savage violence have always been given nice-sounding names; thus, a war of conquest becomes "the liberation of the oppressed", the Holocaust was "ethnic cleansing" leading to "racial purity" and the war for oil in the Middle East became "liberating Iraq" and then became "promoting democracy and individual human rights", and the Trans-Pacific backroom deal, without question corrupt and self-serving because of how it was created and by whom - Obama and the Demtards - becomes a "Republican campaign to defeat free trade", just as all those who opposes our Muslim Monarch have become "racists".

Hooo-boy...the sheer stench of all this mendacious bulls*** is enough to take one's breath away.

The only thing worse is the vast and ever-increasing number of idiots who fall for this crap in the first place. If you can't think for yourself, you damned sure can't think for anybody else either, nor make any decisions on their behalf. But boy...have I got a lot of worthless s*** I want to sell you.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
        You think Rand Paul is opposed to the TPP and other WTO-inspired free trade agreements?
        http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/rand-...pp-trade-deal/
        It's funny how many "small government", "pro-business", "free market" types are loudly opposing the trade deal. It's almost as if they don't really understand what a laissez-faire, free market trade policy looks like.

Evidently the GOP prefers tariffs and trade barriers to open markets.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
          It's funny how many "small government", "pro-business", "free market" types are loudly opposing the trade deal. It's almost as if they don't really understand what a laissez-faire, free market trade policy looks like.
          I don't know how you came to that conclusion from the article I posted. The article clearly states that the Republicans favour free trade, and that Rand Paul in particular supports hastening negotiations on the TPP. In case you missed it, I will point out the relevant details:
          “Instead of just talking about a so-called ‘pivot to Asia,’ the Obama administration should prioritize negotiating the Trans-Pacific Partnership by year’s end,” Paul said during the speech.
          Paul views increased trade as essential to reviving sluggish economic growth.
          Trade in general, and the TPP in particular, are ideal issues for the Republican Party to engage the president on given that the GOP has long been the party most supportive of free trade. Indeed, as The Diplomat has previously noted, opposition to new trade deals has been strongest among Obama’s own party.
          Republican support for free trade remains mostly intact at the elite level.

Comment

Even funnier how many of them are 'America F**k Yeah!' types, given the vast reach this will give the US & its companies into the economies of the idiot nations who sign it. This appalling piece of economic theology will let the US do precisely what so many of these right wing 'USA!USA!' types want - get more powerful. These agreements always benefit the big fish more.

This thing needs to die, but it won't. It will get passed by legislators in thrall to a quasi-religious belief in 'free markets' and key lobby groups. We just shut down our entire auto manufacturing industry to get a couple of FTAs with China & Japan. The TPP will add to the damage.
            Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I don't know how you came to that conclusion from the article I posted. The article clearly states that the Republicans favour free trade, and that Rand Paul in particular supports hastening negotiations on the TPP. In case you missed it, I will point out the relevant details:
              I was being sarcastic and pointing out that a number of those on this forum who are vocally opposing this deal are normally those that claim to support free trade and open markets.

Comment

I was being sarcastic and pointing out that a number of those on this forum who are vocally opposing this deal are normally those that claim to support free trade and open markets.
                I believe you are missing their point. As pointed out in the OP
                the TPP is not mainly about trade
                It is mainly about ceding national sovereignty to corporations in a variety of areas.

Comment

I believe you are missing their point. As pointed out in the OP
                  Considering in the Senate the main opposition was democrats, I find it ironic that now we see lots of conservatives opposing it. Does that make them RINOs?

It is mainly about ceding national sovereignty to corporations in a variety of areas.
                  You mean according to the leaked draft and not the final bill, right?

Comment

Considering in the Senate the main opposition was democrats, I find it ironic that now we see lots of conservatives opposing it. Does that make them RINOs?
                    Yes, it DOES make the majority of the elected scum in the Senate a bunch of RINOs, as I have been saying for years.
                    Thanks for finally getting it.

You mean according to the leaked draft and not the final bill, right?
                    Considering the fact that the final Bill is being concealed from us, you, me and everyone else aside from a tiny selected elite, yes, what else does anyone have to go by here?

Yeah, I know, the public is supposed to just go along with it, aren't we?
                    Nah, on second thought, its NOT a good idea to follow Nancy Pelosi's formulate and "pass the Bill so we can find out what's in it".
                    Not only no, but NO.
                    Not again.

Comment

Yes, it DOES make the majority of the elected scum in the Senate a bunch of RINOs, as I have been saying for years.
                      Thanks for finally getting it.
                      So it sounds like they're the true Republicans, while the minority who stray from the common values of the rest are the true RINOs. Because if they're not sharing the politics of the majority of the GOP, then they're just Republicans in name only.

Considering the fact that the final Bill is being concealed from us, you, me and everyone else aside from a tiny selected elite, yes, what else does anyone have to go by here?

Yeah, I know, the public is supposed to just go along with it, aren't we?
                      Nah, on second thought, its NOT a good idea to follow Nancy Pelosi's formulate and "pass the Bill so we can find out what's in it".
                      Not only no, but NO.
                      Not again.
                      Just checking.

Comment

So it sounds like they're the true Republicans, while the minority who stray from the common values of the rest are the true RINOs. Because if they're not sharing the politics of the majority of the GOP, then they're just Republicans in name only.
                        Going along with the herd may be how the Democrats operate, so I guess that would explain your confusion.
                        Republicans were supposed to have things like Principles, Guiding values, a core of decency and also make some effort to uphold what this unique Nation was founded on. Yeah, go ahead and laugh, but at least we have something better than 'the mob rules' to fall back on.

During the last election, did any of these Repubs run on Globalism and the joys of Crony Capitalism?
                        Hope.
                        Aren't you glad you helped the GOP destroy the TEA Party?

An opposition party this incompetent cripples the two-party system and is an insult to Democracy as a whole.... Hunter S. Thompson said something close to that in a article called "The New Dumb,"
                        He was talking about the Democrats at the time, which was the end of the 1980s when the implosion of the Democrat party seemed inevitable. They headed that off by going ever more radical, ever farther to the Left and to hell with moderation.
                        Lets see how that works for the Right.

Comment

one more thing-
                          Knowing they’ll be arrested, Senators should be spilling details of the TPP to anyone who’ll listen. They should be intentionally creating a Constitutional crisis... Oh, but wait. That would be a Senate with conscience, and with balls. Not this menagerie of sold-out puppets and twits and party hacks and drunks and shysters and blackmail bait. That would be a Senate out of some old Hollywood movie.
                          https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2...de-of-silence/

Comment

Going along with the herd may be how the Democrats operate, so I guess that would explain your confusion.
                            Republicans were supposed to have things like Principles, Guiding values, a core of decency and also make some effort to uphold what this unique Nation was founded on. Yeah, go ahead and laugh, but at least we have something better than 'the mob rules' to fall back on.

During the last election, did any of these Repubs run on Globalism and the joys of Crony Capitalism?
                            Hope.
                            Aren't you glad you helped the GOP destroy the TEA Party?

An opposition party this incompetent cripples the two-party system and is an insult to Democracy as a whole.... Hunter S. Thompson said something close to that in a article called "The New Dumb,"
                            He was talking about the Democrats at the time, which was the end of the 1980s when the implosion of the Democrat party seemed inevitable. They headed that off by going ever more radical, ever farther to the Left and to hell with moderation.
                            Lets see how that works for the Right.
                            So now I'm a Democrat and you know what true Republicans believe in? Sorta? Sorry, I couldn't follow what you meant, so apologies if that's not what you were actually saying.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X