USA jobs no longer going overseas ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    They already cherry picked the jobs they wanted to ship over seas, the few left here, nobody wants!
    EDIT MINE:
    Don't discount your comment. What I continually hear in my area is that "nobody will work". What they omit is the full phrase that includes: at the price I want to pay.".
    Labor has always been the outcast in the concept of supply and demand. It is the major factor that producers can alter.
    I grew up in the 60's in an agricultural area. Teenagers were a major source of labor during that time. We worked the summer and the schools let out 2 weeks during apple time. $5-$7 dollars a bin of apples. Trees were tall, I've picked off of 18' ladders. Now, 12' is max. 2 bins was the norm. Gas cost .35 a gallon.
    Now the single work unit is not a teenager, it is a family with as many members as they can muster. Bins are $15-18, thus working the family can create a moderate income combined with the Govt. opportunities.
    As the labor base understands the US system, it becomes very hard for them to work the task they were supposed to do. Now, the growers are bringing in Asian workers on a contract basis. Their argument? Nobody else wants to work! They always leave out, "at the price we want to pay".
    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
      EDIT MINE:
      Don't discount your comment. What I continually hear in my area is that "nobody will work". What they omit is the full phrase that includes: at the price I want to pay.".
      Labor has always been the outcast in the concept of supply and demand. It is the major factor that producers can alter.
      I grew up in the 60's in an agricultural area. Teenagers were a major source of labor during that time. We worked the summer and the schools let out 2 weeks during apple time. $5-$7 dollars a bin of apples. Trees were tall, I've picked off of 18' ladders. Now, 12' is max. 2 bins was the norm. Gas cost .35 a gallon.
      Now the single work unit is not a teenager, it is a family with as many members as they can muster. Bins are $15-18, thus working the family can create a moderate income combined with the Govt. opportunities.
      As the labor base understands the US system, it becomes very hard for them to work the task they were supposed to do. Now, the growers are bringing in Asian workers on a contract basis. Their argument? Nobody else wants to work! They always leave out, "at the price we want to pay".
      We have traded cheap goods for lost jobs. But what is more concerning is we have also encouraged borrowing to offset the loss of rising incomes.
      Consider that a senior meat cutter living in L. A. in 1985 earned about $30.00 per hour, today the top salary for a meat cutter in L.A. is $12.75 per hour. Mostly due to immigration supplying people willing to work for less. The income of OTR truckers has stayed level for twenty five years.
      But the Executive income in those industries has increased significantly.
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

With Obama's rising flood of illegals, the jobs don't have to go overseas - the overseas workers can walk right in to the country and take the jobs right here.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
          Is it any surprise? The ultimate goal of the WTO and those supporting its agenda is that not only are there no restrictions to trade and the movement of capital, but that there also be no restrictions in the movement of labour. Why do you think it is that the US government and the EU, despite popular discontent with illegal economic immigration, do nothing to halt it, and instead proffer various schemes for legalizing it? The US government, for one, has been championing the WTO agenda since Clinton. Doesn't matter whether Republicans or Democrats control Congress or the White House - both parties answer to powerful economic interests who wish to see no restrictions or barriers in how they do business - public discontent be damned.
          Well said, can't rep you yet, too soon!
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X