X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose50
    replied
    NO!!

No raises!!! As a matter of fact, start docking their current pay until they can compromise and get things done for a change.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    If a member of Congress can not afford to live on his salary, let them step down and give some other person a chance. My Rep, Charles Boustany, ran for office because he got to where he could not do surgery any more. Something was going wrong with his hands. Instead of retraining in another medical field, he decided politics looked better. His being married into the Edwin Edwards family might have influenced him. My bet is he is making ends meet and has no problem fund raising for reelection.

I think a lot of long term members of the House and Senate keep a home in the DC Metro area. Years ago it came out that ex-Louisiana Senator John Breaux had a place in Maryland and he had lost his Louisiana residency. He was working as a lobbyist after he retired from the Senate. I bet lots of rich people around DC would love to sell a fine house to a member of the Senate or House at a discount. Naturally they would not expect any favors in return

Pruitt
    Better yet let them telecommute. That way their constituents can yell at them. They stay in their local precincts.

Leave a comment:

• Savez
    replied
    Why do these clowns think we serve them? What do "we the people" do? Its obvious voting doesn't work. November meant nothing. So what do we do?

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    If a member of Congress can not afford to live on his salary, let them step down and give some other person a chance. My Rep, Charles Boustany, ran for office because he got to where he could not do surgery any more. Something was going wrong with his hands. Instead of retraining in another medical field, he decided politics looked better. His being married into the Edwin Edwards family might have influenced him. My bet is he is making ends meet and has no problem fund raising for reelection.

I think a lot of long term members of the House and Senate keep a home in the DC Metro area. Years ago it came out that ex-Louisiana Senator John Breaux had a place in Maryland and he had lost his Louisiana residency. He was working as a lobbyist after he retired from the Senate. I bet lots of rich people around DC would love to sell a fine house to a member of the Senate or House at a discount. Naturally they would not expect any favors in return

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    You just need to get the right gig ...
    House bill would cap expenses for ex-presidents

EXCERPT;
    Both Clinton and Bush, like other ex-presidents before them, have earned millions in speaking fees since leaving office.

The oversight committee acted just days after Hillary Rodham Clinton reported that she and her husband earned more than $30 million combined in speaking fees and book royalties since January 2014. The earnings put the couple in the top one-10th of 1 percent of all Americans.

The House bill would set presidential pensions at $200,000 a year, nearly the same as the current amount, with an additional $200,000 set aside for office space and other expenses. The bill would reduce expense payments by $1 for every dollar above $400,000 earned by a former president.

Under the legislation, ex-presidents who earn more than $600,000 a year would not receive federal funds for office expenses or travel. Presidential pensions would not be affected by the amount of income earned.
    http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/29103435...-ex-presidents

Bill and Hillary in the top 1/10th of 1%

I know they really feel my pain.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    They have absolutely no connection to the people they claim to represent, if we ever want to change that we have to take the money out of it.
    That is never going to happen.
    Some people believe that if you want to hire the best people we must pay high salary's. I see no evidence to suppot this opinion. It seems the best leaders we had were the ones that did not seek the job for personal enrichment.
    It is impossible for a common working person to run for the highest office today, the highest bidder wins.
    Good night America, it was a good idea, now you are owned by foreign investor's.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Congress needs a swift kick in the @$$ as does that buffoon in the White House.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    It would mean that you would never get an honest statistic about the economy ever again.

I'm no fan of Congress, but you get what you pay for.
    That's the excuse that the UC chancellors use for their fat paychecks. Ditto for our city counsel. Face it Arnie if you could vote yourself a raise you would.

Congress should get a pay decrease till they quit screwing the pooch.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Early into the first session of the new 114th Congress, Americans give the legislative body a 16% job approval rating -- matching the December reading of the famously unpopular and divided Congress that preceded it. In contrast to the 113th Congress, Republicans now run both chambers of the national legislature, but so far, there is little evidence that Americans are feeling any warmer about Congress overall. Three-fourths of Americans (76%) disapprove.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/180962/co...-approval.aspx

Pelosi et. company should be jailed for gross mismanagement...

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    What they really need is a rope necktie.

Federal wages should be tied to the economy. All of them. If it goes up they get a raise, if it goes down they get a pay reduction. That would tend to slow them looting us...
    It would mean that you would never get an honest statistic about the economy ever again.

I'm no fan of Congress, but you get what you pay for.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Interesting point.

If you want a Congress made up of nothing but the very rich, keep the pay low.

If you want Congressmen of more ordinary means, you'll have to pay them.

A Congressman has to maintain a household in his home district, and he has to spend much of the year in DC, where rents are extremely high. He will need to commute back and forth regularly to keep an eye on the political forum in his district, and to keep his presence in DC.

Of course, there's lobbyists willing to help out with rent and transport costs....

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    What they really need is a rope necktie.

Federal wages should be tied to the economy. All of them. If it goes up they get a raise, if it goes down they get a pay reduction. That would tend to slow them looting us...

Leave a comment:

• Jannie
    replied
    Let's just say that they are serving the people at 'Great personal sacrifice" and let them suffer. If they don't like it they can get a job as a lobbyist or go back home. Let someone else serve.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    started a topic Rep Says Congress Needs Pay Raise

Rep Says Congress Needs Pay Raise

He thinks they rate a pay raise......

“We are entering our seventh year without a pay raise. Now I think we’ve proven to the American people that we are responsible. And I know that it has impacted me personally.

We have more than 50 members, probably as many as 75 or more living in their offices. They’re not there because of any other reason than they can’t afford it. Now if people want us in sackcloth and ashes than they will get what they rightly deserve as representation.”

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/05/3251...oon_newsletter

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X