Windsor ~ Detroit Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windsor ~ Detroit Bridge

It will be called the Gordie Howe International Bridge.

It is very generous of Canada to pay up front for the bulk of the cost. It is supposed to cost over $2 billion to build. The U.S. side of the bridge will be repaid from future toll revenues. The Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority will manage and collect tolls on behalf of Canada and Michigan.

The Gordie Howe International Bridge is expected to be completed and in service in 2020. The bridge will accelerate the flow of goods and services and provide a much-needed alternative at the busiest commercial land border crossing on the Canada-United States (U.S.) border, creating thousands of jobs and opportunities on both sides of the border. The bridge will feature a total of six lanes, associated border inspection plazas, and direct connections to Highway 401 in Ontario and Interstate-75 in Michigan.
    Today’s announcement builds on the work done to date between Canada and the U.S. on the Beyond the Border Action Plan and Regulatory Cooperation Council Action Plan to strengthen our long-term security and trade relationship. These plans outlined concrete measures to facilitate trade and travel, improve security and economic competitiveness, and align regulatory approaches between the two countries.

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2015/05/14/...ed-gordie-howe
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

When finished, it will greatly reduce the cost to trucking companies by breaking the monopoly of the privately owned Ambassador Bridge. The only other alternative for them is to drive all the way to Port Huron. The Windsor Tunnel cannot be used by heavy trucks due to its low clearance of 13 feet.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Or...they could simply cross over at any point that does not require a bridge. Lots of those places...

It is "nice of Canada", but they aren't doing it for free or out of the goodness of their hearts but because they expect to profit enormously from this bridge. That's how the world works. I am surprised, however, that the American Anti-Christ did not try to block it, so apparently it won't help America very much.

TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. It's the Rule of the Universe.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

So much so ...

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Or...they could simply cross over at any point that does not require a bridge. Lots of those places...

It is "nice of Canada", but they aren't doing it for free or out of the goodness of their hearts but because they expect to profit enormously from this bridge. That's how the world works. I am surprised, however, that the American Anti-Christ did not try to block it, so apparently it won't help America very much.

TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. It's the Rule of the Universe.
        ... that Canada's also footing the $250M bill for the US Customs "Plaza" on the US side of the bridge. When you consider that Canadian's and Canadian firms will also be paying a large % of the tolls, it amounts to a double, or rather a 1 1/2 whammy.

A good read, the CBC from this past Feb.:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...nada-1.2962166

Of course, without that Canadian $, the bridge would've been known as the "Sweet Lou Whitaker Bridge", so I guess the $2B + is worth it.
        Last edited by Marmat; 19 May 15, 10:06.
        "I am Groot"
        - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
          ... that Canada's also footing the $250M bill for the US Customs "Plaza" on the US side of the bridge. When you consider that Canadian's and Canadian firms will also be paying a large % of the tolls, it amounts to a double, or rather a 1 1/2 whammy.
          The U.S. debt will be paid from future toll revenue. So Canada is merely issuing a generous loan.

Still, it is a very kind gesture. This bridge has been stalled for over a decade due to lack of funding from the state of Michigan. Probably wouldn't become reality if Canada did not step up to the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post

A good read, the CBC from this past Feb.:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...nada-1.2962166

Of course, without that Canadian $, the bridge would've been known as the "Sweet Lou Whitaker Bridge", so I guess the $2B + is worth it.
            So why is Canada giving away money? You're saying that Canada will not recoup this money in any way? Your government just woke up one morning and said "we need to give away a whole lot of money to America"?

I somehow doubt that.

And the best name for it would be something like "The TransAmerica or TransCanada Bridge". Most people don't know the names of the politicians and don't care. That's why it's "The Brooklyn Bridge", and the "Golden Gate Bridge" instead of the "Joe Blow Bridge".

Comment

So why is Canada giving away money? You're saying that Canada will not recoup this money in any way? Your government just woke up one morning and said "we need to give away a whole lot of money to America"?

I somehow doubt that.

And the best name for it would be something like "The TransAmerica or TransCanada Bridge". Most people don't know the names of the politicians and don't care. That's why it's "The Brooklyn Bridge", and the "Golden Gate Bridge" instead of the "Joe Blow Bridge".
              Funding from Detroit and Michigan was blocked at every turn by the owner of the Ambassador bridge, Matty Moroun, who not only collects and keeps toll revenue, but under the original deal he gets the duty and taxes on the gas sold on the bridge.

So the Canadians did a deal to pay for all of it and they get all the tolls until they are paid back. There might be some interest paid back out of tolls as well, yet to be decided.

Also paid by the Canadian government is the cost of the US customs plaza which is about 250 Million more. It wasn't included in the Obama administration's budget and that caused friction between the two governments. The Canadian side finally caved and said that they would pay for it too, and get it back from tolls. That's a first.

Comment

I somehow doubt that.
                As others have pointed out, it will be paid for by the tolls (which will be mostly trucking).

Canada wants this bridge because they can directly connect it to 401, and not have to reroute through Downtown Windsor effectively cutting the city in half. The truck traffic is too much for the current Ambassador Bridge, and Maroun (the Hollywood stereotype of corporate evil) has long reneged on deals to repair access ramps on the U.S. side, and so Bridge traffic is routed through the slums of Detroit on poorly maintained service drives until it connects with the expressway.

The new bridge will connect directly to I-75 as well as Canada's 401, and will have twice the lanes over the Ambassador (and without the arbitrarily changing and ever higher tolls imposed by Moroun).

If you do not know who Gordie Howe is then you've been living in the rarified and thin airs of the mountains way too long.

Around these parts (on both sides of the rivers and lakes) EVERYONE knows Gordie Howe. By the by, he 'taint no pollytishun.

Comment

Originally posted by Percy Coburg View Post
                  The U.S. debt will be paid from future toll revenue. So Canada is merely issuing a generous loan.

Still, it is a very kind gesture. This bridge has been stalled for over a decade due to lack of funding from the state of Michigan. Probably wouldn't become reality if Canada did not step up to the plate.
                  No. Taxpayers paying for a new bridge is a highly contentious issue, and Marty Maroun (the owner of the current Ambassador Bridge) has done his level best by buying politicians, putting it on the ballot (which he lost big time), and buying out ad time in order to halt the Bridge. Windsor has had it with regards to the Bridge as it connects to 401 down the city's main drag completely tying up traffic and completely smogging the town out with semi exhaust (not to mention all the refuse trucks transitting the city).

They want a new bridge at all costs, and so are pulling out all the stops.

On this side, the Big 3 auto (or rather Big 2 now) are pouring millions into developing driverless semis for use over the bridge in order to cut costs and customs time. Governor Snyder is big time for this project.

Comment

Interesting posts.
                    Is it possible, that two governments actually came together to create something that will be an asset to both sides?
                    I enjoy Govt. bashing as well as anybody, but just maybe, two entities negotiated the best deal they could, and solved a problem.
                    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                      Interesting posts.
                      Is it possible, that two governments actually came together to create something that will be an asset to both sides?
                      I enjoy Govt. bashing as well as anybody, but just maybe, two entities negotiated the best deal they could, and solved a problem.
                      The idea Holly is to be both sarcastic and pessimistic.
                      You ignore it maybe ,but you are out-dated with your positivism
                      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                        The idea Holly is to be both sarcastic and pessimistic.
                        You ignore it maybe ,but you are out-dated with your positivism
                        Perhaps Seb, however I refuse to deny my rearing, education, and my life's experience.
                        I also don't believe I'm alone on this site. Let's try to judge each event on it's own merits.

Thanks for the compliment.
                        My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                          Funding from Detroit and Michigan was blocked at every turn by the owner of the Ambassador bridge, Matty Moroun, who not only collects and keeps toll revenue, but under the original deal he gets the duty and taxes on the gas sold on the bridge.

So the Canadians did a deal to pay for all of it and they get all the tolls until they are paid back. There might be some interest paid back out of tolls as well, yet to be decided.

Also paid by the Canadian government is the cost of the US customs plaza which is about 250 Million more. It wasn't included in the Obama administration's budget and that caused friction between the two governments. The Canadian side finally caved and said that they would pay for it too, and get it back from tolls. That's a first.
                          Oh, so now Canada is going to collect tolls "only until they are paid back"...

Want to bet? Those tolls will still be there long after you and I are dead, like every other toll being collected long after the pay-back date has come and gone.

No politician ever gives up revenue, especially when it's a lot of revenue that just keeps pouring in.

Meanwhile, outfits like the Canadian National Railroad ship millions of tons of cargo back and forth across the border every year without crossing any bridges at all.

Comment

Oh, so now Canada is going to collect tolls "only until they are paid back"...

Want to bet? Those tolls will still be there long after you and I are dead, like every other toll being collected long after the pay-back date has come and gone.

No politician ever gives up revenue, especially when it's a lot of revenue that just keeps pouring in.

Meanwhile, outfits like the Canadian National Railroad ship millions of tons of cargo back and forth across the border every year without crossing any bridges at all.
                            No the tolls continue on after Canada is paid back, that's for sure. After that the money goes to a bridge commission that is joint Canada-US who operate the bridge.

Comment

Good point, ...

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                              Interesting posts.
                              ... but I would suggest that the governments that actually came together were those of Ontario, Canada, and the state of Michigan; the US Federal Gov't merely acquiesced after a very lengthy and protracted process to a deal that it had no real reason left to resist.
                              "I am Groot"
                              - Groot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X