Equality and Bureaucracy Gone Mad - Title IX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equality and Bureaucracy Gone Mad - Title IX

You’d best get out your hip waders, folks – we’re about to wade through a steaming pile of government balderdash.
    The controversy surrounds a storage shed built by the baseball booster club at Arbor View High School in Las Vegas. The youngsters needed a place to store their bats and balls and bases.
    The boosters had wanted to build a clubhouse for the teenage ball players, but after months of delay they came up with an alternative plan.
    One of the parents knew the owner of a company that made precast one-story buildings. The company offered to donate the manpower and materials to build the boys a shed.
    Carl Pastrone, whose son is a pitcher and outfielder for the Arbor View Aggies, told me they pitched their plan to school administrators and were promptly given a green light. That was in 2014.
    The storage shed was erected last September. Boosters installed doors and gave the shed a coat of paint – nothing elaborate.
    It cost a grand total of $21,000 to remove a shed that was given to the baseball team at no cost. The school district took every single penny of the booster club’s money.
    “It cost the booster club zero,” Carl told me.
    And that was that – until a few months ago.
    That’s when officials with the Clark County School District showed up at the school and demanded that the storage shed be torn down. They said it violated Title IX.
    Title IX states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
    In other words, for every boy sport there must be a girls alternative.
    And in the case of Arbor View High School – if the boys have a storage shed – the girls must have a storage shed.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...rage-shed.html

Read on...it just gets better...but small wonder kids don't respect adults anymore. When they act like this, I don't either.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

MORE Starnes BS...?

Good Lord...

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

If its just for storage why cant they just share.
      Wack tac mac hey.
      Regards.
      Grishnak.

Comment

Originally posted by grishnak View Post
        They could have, if asked.

Look at that, $21,000 embezzled to tear down one tiny little shed!
        Just imagine how much they could pocket tearing down the School itself

Comment

I don't need to read on. Title IX is one of the most destructive laws in existence towards organized public sports. What it generally does is force male dominated sports out of existence in order to be "fair and equal" to female dominated sports which tend to be fewer in number.
          Most schools and other public organizations faced with Title IX fights choose to reduce male sports activities rather than add more unused female sports activities at higher costs. That is they vote with their wallets against men who tend to be more involved in sporting activities than women.

The result isn't "equal and fair." Instead it is "everybody loses."

Comment

Originally posted by grishnak View Post
            Too logical and no one gets to pocket any money. Remember, these are bureaucrats, not real people with real lives.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Well, IMHO, if they cannot be "fair and balanced" in their treatment of girls and boys in sports they should ban all sports from public schools. I have felt for some time with the decline in Arts and Music education in a lot of schools that sports should be treated as the luxury they are to the taxpayers and removed from public schools and bring back Arts and Music.

I cannot see why the girls should not have shared in storing their equipment in the shed but ... what a waste.
              Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                Well, IMHO, if they cannot be "fair and balanced" in their treatment of girls and boys in sports they should ban all sports from public schools. I have felt for some time with the decline in Arts and Music education in a lot of schools that sports should be treated as the luxury they are to the taxpayers and removed from public schools and bring back Arts and Music.

I cannot see why the girls should not have shared in storing their equipment in the shed but ... what a waste.
                So, if you can't have it your way, destroy all the fun for everyone?
                I'm shocked...

Blame I-Pods for the decline in interest in all that boring junk, its a new age.
                And why make life harder for the few kids that still want to go outside and DO something?

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  ...What it generally does is force male dominated sports out of existence...
                  Which male dominated sport is now out of existence?

Comment

Originally posted by III Corps View Post
                    Can't speak for the veracity, or bias, of the report, but it gives some examples of what is being suggested by other posters.
                    http://usa-sports.org/TitleIX.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by III Corps View Post
                      http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/15279/

But nowadays, when women make up nearly 60 percent of all college students all Title IX does is destroy male athletic programs. It is the embodiment of the exact thing it seeks to eradicate: sexism.
                      I think that statement sums up Title IX nicely.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4326021

Comment

Well, to some people athletics is just as important as arts and music programs. Athletics can teach kids a lot about teamwork, hard work to achieve goals, sportsmanship etc that can be applied to the rest of their lives. Same for arts and music, but which is more important is a matter of opinion. Suppose they apply the same rules the other way...if they don't get the same number of boys and girls to sign up for theater, dance or music they cut the funding for those programs?

Comment

You've got to be kidding. Banning sports is banning competition, and competition is a very good thing.

I've coached both boys (football) and girls (basketball) and getting rid of sports is ludicrous and just plain ignorant.

Sincerely,
                          M
                          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

More interestingly, should colleges and universities be required to have a "Men's Studies" program if they have a Women's Studies program?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                              Well, to some people athletics is just as important as arts and music programs. Athletics can teach kids a lot about teamwork, hard work to achieve goals, sportsmanship etc that can be applied to the rest of their lives. Same for arts and music, but which is more important is a matter of opinion. Suppose they apply the same rules the other way...if they don't get the same number of boys and girls to sign up for theater, dance or music they cut the funding for those programs?
                              Agree.

And I don't see Title IX applied to band, orchestra, chorus, or the Arts-nor should it be.

We have taken this 'idea' of 'equality' to an absurd level. Equality does not mean everyone is the same. It does mean equality before the law and equality of opportunity.

Destroying a structure for this reason is akin to burning books. It's just plain stupid.

Sincerely,
                              M

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X