Should Americans Disobey Most Laws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Americans Disobey Most Laws?

The author presents an interesting concept to regain our freedoms.

Charles Murray, already controversial for writing books on how welfare hurts the poor, on ethnic differences in IQ and on (less controversial, but my favorite) happiness and good government, has written a new book that argues that it’s time for civil disobedience. Government has become so oppressive, constantly restricting us with new regulations, that our only hope is for some of us to refuse to cooperate.
    Murray’s suggestion -- laid out in “By the People: Rebuilding Liberty Without Permission,” will make some people nervous. He argues that citizens and companies should start openly defying all but the most useful regulations, essentially ones that forbid assault, theft and fraud.
    He writes, “America is no longer the land of the free. We are still free in the sense that Norwegians, Germans and Italians are free. But that’s not what Americans used to mean by freedom.”
    He quotes Thomas Jefferson’s observation that a good government is one “which shall restrain men from injuring one another [and] shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits.”
    But our government today tries to do much more.
    While we try to invent new things, government constantly seeks new ways to control us. The number of federal crimes on the books is now 50 percent larger than back in 1980 -- a time when many people mistakenly thought the U.S. would cut the size of government.
    Murray says, correctly, that no ordinary human being -- not even a team of lawyers -- can ever be sure how to obey the 810 pages of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, 1,024 pages of the Affordable Care Act or 2,300 pages of Dodd-Frank.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...tcmp=obnetwork
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The author presents an interesting concept to regain our freedoms.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...tcmp=obnetwork
    John Stossel?

Really?

Give us a break and if you're so concerned about lost 'freedoms' why don't you list a few to enlighten the rest of us?

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Should Americans Disobey Most Laws?

Only if it's on a sign.
      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Unless Stossel is prepared to show the way and get himself arrested, he's just being a windbag - as usual.
        Ditto for Charles Murray.
        Last edited by Skoblin; 16 May 15, 16:22.

Comment

They laughed when I commented that 40,000 new laws had come into effect on January 1st a couple of years ago.
          Then I showed you proof.
          And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Today, regulatory agencies are making more "laws" that are not laws at all, not passed by elected representatives, but by bureaucrats that nobody openly says should have that kind of power... but they do.

This sort of disobedience isn't just a movement, its is inevitable. Nobody that does not have a super-compter for a brain can keep up with all this crap.
          Its not Civil disobedience, its living your life.

Three felonies a day-
          http://www.threefeloniesaday.com/You...6/Default.aspx
          And that's nothing new.
          If you are reading this, you could be arrested for breaking a law you know nothing about.
          Period.

Incompetence, evil, insanity, or all of the above are at work when the ruling class just sits there vomiting out new laws at this pace.

Comment

Word up.
            Attached Files
            "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Americans have always been a bit unlawful. I have made long rants about how individual rights conflict with social obligations. A bit of balance would be nice.
              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                Americans have always been a bit unlawful. I have made long rants about how individual rights conflict with social obligations. A bit of balance would be nice.
                I always thought that was a bit of our charm.

Rights vs obligations? If you find an answer please keep it to yourself. That argument has kept us young for a long time.
                My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                  I always thought that was a bit of our charm.

Rights vs obligations? If you find an answer please keep it to yourself. That argument has kept us young for a long time.
                  And don't forget with rights come responsibilities...

Sincerely,
                  M
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds, y'all...

And despite that charm, law breakers are berated and hounded at ACG. You people are hilarious.
                    "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                      Word up.
                      Home of the brave, I'll buy that...but the freedom part? Could thing we don't have something about intelligence in there.

You go shopping and cannot return by the same route to your home because that is "cruising". There went the history of the 50s and 60s into the law books as criminal.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Isn’t that called anarchy—where no one obeys the laws? It only leads to chaos and destruction. Remember what happened during the Occupy movement. I thought that was an anarchical situation.
                        Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                          Word up.
                          I am pretty sure that sign is on Atlantic Ave in VA Beach. That was someone's bright idea to keep locals away from the strip. There was a time when we would drive the 30 miles just to do some "cruising". Now I just put the boat in the water...
                          Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                            Unless Stossel is prepared to show the way and get himself arrested, he's just being a windbag - as usual.
                            Ditto for Charles Murray.
                            So you have an opinion on the individual but have nothing to say about the concept itself? Or is your mind really that closed off to all ideas that do not originate with your own pre-approved sources?

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                              They laughed when I commented that 40,000 new laws had come into effect on January 1st a couple of years ago.
                              Then I showed you proof.
                              And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Today, regulatory agencies are making more "laws" that are not laws at all, not passed by elected representatives, but by bureaucrats that nobody openly says should have that kind of power... but they do.

This sort of disobedience isn't just a movement, its is inevitable. Nobody that does not have a super-compter for a brain can keep up with all this crap.
                              Its not Civil disobedience, its living your life.

Three felonies a day-
                              http://www.threefeloniesaday.com/You...6/Default.aspx
                              And that's nothing new.
                              If you are reading this, you could be arrested for breaking a law you know nothing about.
                              Period.

Incompetence, evil, insanity, or all of the above are at work when the ruling class just sits there vomiting out new laws at this pace.
                              So your opinion about the question asked by the author of the article would be....what?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X