Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amtrak derailments

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Amtrak derailments

    First, an Amtrak train derailed

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/inv...Li?ocid=SMSDHP

    I really love when they interview idiots who know nothing:

    Passenger Jillian Jorgensen, 27, was seated in the quiet car — the second passenger car — and said the train was going "fast enough for me to be worried" when it began to lurch to the right.
    Here some passenger who doesn't know how fast the train was going, or how fast it should be going, or anything else about train operations is taken as an almost "expert" witness...

    Second, Congress is set to derail Amtrak's budget much to the White House's sniveling...

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...VQ?ocid=SMSDHP


    You're looking at more than a 15 percent cut in investments in Amtrak," Donovan told reporters on a conference all, noting Obama had proposed a boost to Amtrak funding to $2.45 billion, up from current levels of $1.4 billion.
    Now, I'd know about you but dumping more money and expanding a business that loses gobs of money is not an "investment" of any sort. It is a loss and plainly stupid business practice to do it.

    So, the above should read, "You're looking at more than a 15 percent cut in losses in Amtrak..."

  • #2
    With air travel being the gropey expensive hassle that it is and bus travel never being high in favorability, one would think rail travel would thrive - which just goes to show how much the government can screw up.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

    Comment


    • #3
      According to a newscaster this AM, the train traveling at approximately 100 mph approaching a sharp curve when it derailed and crashed.

      Currently, I am listening to an idiot being interviewed who says "it always comes down to maintenance", although he has no specific knowledge of investigatory findings.


      The Amtrak train that derailed near Philadelphia Tuesday night-- killing at least seven and sending over 200 to area hospitals-- appeared to have been traveling at more than 100 miles an hour as it approached a sharp curve on the track, two people with knowledge of the investigation told The Wall Street Journal. Authorities recovered the black box from train and are inspecting video footage recorded from the front of the train moments before the accident.
      http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/13...to-be-injured/
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
        With air travel being the gropey expensive hassle that it is and bus travel never being high in favorability, one would think rail travel would thrive - which just goes to show how much the government can screw up.
        and there won't be any successful Privately owned Passenger lines until the Govt is no longer a competitor. They have all sorts of ways to fix the game.

        But there is one passenger line that I know of that is still doing very well. Its the Silverton-Durango narrow gage service, it runs on old steam-powered locomotives.
        ... until the EPA shuts them down.

        Comment


        • #5
          Having worked on the Microsoft Train Simulator route with several others, there is a sharp curve on the mainline near where the Delar Bridge line merges in. That is certainly a speed restricted zone in an otherwise 100+ rating for most of that route to New York. The other even sharper curves occur along Zoo Interlocking where the mainline splits up to head West to Harrisville and South to the Pittsburgh station and DC.

          Of course, this is assuming that speed was the reason for the derailment and it was not some other cause. The fact that the engineer is not talking and has already hired an attorney doesn't look good for him.

          The latest Drudge Report link of headlines;
          7 DEAD, 200 INJURED
          Train cars ripped apart...
          'Disastrous mess'...

          Passengers 'Didn't Care About Anyone Else, Stepping Over People'...
          'Dozens' Remain Unaccounted For...
          Horror video from inside...
          Local Commuter Train Hit By Projectile Just Before AMTRAK Crash...
          NTSB: 107 mph...
          Twice the speed limit for curve...
          Engineer hit emergency brake...
          Refuses to Talk to Police, Provide Statement to Authorities...
          FLASHBACK: FBI Warns of Train Derailment Threat...
          “Breaking News,”

          “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
            and there won't be any successful Privately owned Passenger lines until the Govt is no longer a competitor. They have all sorts of ways to fix the game.
            Amtrak was formed because the private freight railroads wanted out since they were so unprofitable due to the growth of air travel. Private railroads will never get back into it. It will have to be what it is in most of the world- a subsidized public service or it will cease to exist.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by johns624 View Post
              Amtrak was formed because the private freight railroads wanted out since they were so unprofitable due to the growth of air travel. Private railroads will never get back into it. It will have to be what it is in most of the world- a subsidized public service or it will cease to exist.
              Then let it cease, and let a dozen private firms give better service for less cost to more people. Space-X is taking up the slack for NASA just fine.

              Things have changed, the airlines have dropped the ball, short-haul RRs can do great now.

              Comment


              • #8
                I thought the NE Corridor was profitable, it's the rest of the RR that brings it down. Maybe not.

                Anyway, 107mph on a 50mph curve. I'm amazed the death toll isn't higher.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

                BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

                BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                  Amtrak was formed because the private freight railroads wanted out since they were so unprofitable due to the growth of air travel. Private railroads will never get back into it. It will have to be what it is in most of the world- a subsidized public service or it will cease to exist.
                  Simply put, when the infrastructure of your competitors, the airports and interstates, is built using taxpayers money, along with the taxes you have to pay on the value of your infrastructure, there is no way you can stay in the passenger business without the same massive taxpayer funding.
                  “Breaking News,”

                  “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                    I thought the NE Corridor was profitable, it's the rest of the RR that brings it down. Maybe not.

                    Anyway, 107mph on a 50mph curve. I'm amazed the death toll isn't higher.
                    It supposedly is. I'm not so sure if it is when you consider capital costs. The engineer is toast.

                    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    Then let it cease, and let a dozen private firms give better service for less cost to more people. Space-X is taking up the slack for NASA just fine.

                    Things have changed, the airlines have dropped the ball, short-haul RRs can do great now.
                    No private, for profit railroad will run trains. The money is in containers and minerals. The track expenditures are just so much higher for passenger trains, especially when you run 10,000 ton freights that tear the track up.
                    Since when have airlines dropped the ball? More people are flying (for less) than ever before.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Instead of side arguments that have no bearing on the accident at all, maybe people should be concentrating on keeping up with the news.

                      I play the New York - New Jersey and Northeast Corridor routes myself on TrainSim2015, and they do not in any way equate to reality. I have personally taken sharp curves at over twice the speed limit to see what it takes to deliberately derail, and the train stays on the track.

                      According to the latest release, the engineer caused the derailment by slamming on the emergency brakes just before he hit the curve at twice the posted speed limit - 106mph/50mph.


                      That''s not the alleged "maintenance deficiencies" that the politicians are bleating about to prey more money out of Congress to feed this dead white elephant - it's pure operator error, p-lain and simple, and AMTRAK is going to take a multi-million dollar bath when all the lawsuits filed, which they will then pass on to the already overburdened taxpayers...again.

                      http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/13...to-be-injured/
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One might also note the resulting affects of this accident. It snarled commuter traffic by rail over several states and likely is still having an affect right now.

                        That argues that using air, bus, or private vehicle is superior as these options are not going to shut down whole travel corridors for days in the event of a serious accident. A plane, bus, or car crash doesn't stop other planes, buses, or cars from going places.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          One might also note the resulting affects of this accident. It snarled commuter traffic by rail over several states and likely is still having an affect right now.

                          That argues that using air, bus, or private vehicle is superior as these options are not going to shut down whole travel corridors for days in the event of a serious accident. A plane, bus, or car crash doesn't stop other planes, buses, or cars from going places.
                          It won't take long for the rail line to be repaired once the crash investigation is complete.

                          Repairing a major freeway, where an overpass or bridge has been destroyed by a major accident, is another matter. Currently, I-75 at US-10 is being closed to all traffic every night for the next several days. There are no easy detours around that construction area as the US-10 overpass gets replaced there. And, any accident involving a fatality results in the road being closed for at least the entire day so investigators can take their time photographing and measuring the accident scene.

                          When the Mackinaw Bridges gets closed due to high winds, there is no travel alternative. You cannot fly across or take a ferry. The detour is several hundred miles long.

                          And, look what happened when all air travel was ordered grounded on 9-11-01 for over a week.
                          “Breaking News,”

                          “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Highway accidents rarely close them for more than hours, usually less. There are alternate routes that vehicles can take. While there are situations were there are no alternate routes, those tend to be the exception rather than the rule.
                            Construction is a completely different issue.

                            With rail lines you have a derailment it can close a huge corridor for days or longer. Detours and alternate routes are the exception not the rule.

                            Air travel is the same. 9/11 is no example whatsoever. The norm is an airplane crashes and air travel continues unabated. It is possible that a plane might crash at an airport closing it but that does nothing to stop air travel into the general area as there are usually alternate air ports available.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              Highway accidents rarely close them for more than hours, usually less. There are alternate routes that vehicles can take. While there are situations were there are no alternate routes, those tend to be the exception rather than the rule.
                              Construction is a completely different issue.

                              With rail lines you have a derailment it can close a huge corridor for days or longer. Detours and alternate routes are the exception not the rule.

                              Air travel is the same. 9/11 is no example whatsoever. The norm is an airplane crashes and air travel continues unabated. It is possible that a plane might crash at an airport closing it but that does nothing to stop air travel into the general area as there are usually alternate air ports available.
                              You haven't been to Michigan where it is the norm for roads, including major freeways, to be completely closed for several hours while investigators take their time at the scene before the wreaks are allowed to be removed, or longer if a tanker truck is involved. And, the detours can be a nightmare to people not familiar with the area, often on back roads where those fancy navigation devices can send them into a dead end or road closed due to an unsafe or missing bridge.

                              Rail lines along the Northeast corridor have several alternate routes available for freight but not for electrified high speed passenger service.

                              9-11 is an example of how the Government can shut everything down for days or weeks. And weather can play havoc on airlines where major hubs can have problems with cancelled flights even though they are not being affected by weather themselves.
                              “Breaking News,”

                              “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X