Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Security chief warns of new page in terror.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • U.S. Security chief warns of new page in terror.

    I'm sure I will be pillared for posting a news story by the usual deniers on the forum. But following up on my other post a few days ago, about the raised threat level, this just in...

    "US Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson says the global terrorist threat has entered a "new phase" Provided by AFP US Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson says the global terrorist threat has entered a "new phase"
    The global terrorist threat has entered a "new phase," where media-savvy Islamist extremists are successfully drawing lone wolf attackers to their cause, the US secretary of Homeland Security warned Sunday.

    In an interview with ABC News, Jeh Johnson said the Islamic State group's influence was spreading far beyond the battlegrounds of the Middle East.

    "We're very definitely in a new environment, because of ISIL's (IS's) effective use of social media, the Internet, which has the ability to reach into the homeland and possibly inspire others," Johnson said.

    "We're very definitely in a new phase in the global terrorist threat, where the so-called lone wolf could strike at any moment."

    FBI Director James Comey last week said authorities were concerned about the IS group encouraging attacks on "the uniformed military and law enforcement" via online propaganda.

    There are "hundreds, maybe thousands" of people in the United States who had received recruitment messages from the jihadists, Comey said.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-...eat/ar-BBjy1fG
    The US military bolstered security at bases across the country Friday."
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

  • #2
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    I'm sure I will be pillared for posting a news story by the usual deniers on the forum. But following up on my other post a few days ago, about the raised threat level, this just in...

    "US Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson says the global terrorist threat has entered a "new phase" Provided by AFP US Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson says the global terrorist threat has entered a "new phase"
    The global terrorist threat has entered a "new phase," where media-savvy Islamist extremists are successfully drawing lone wolf attackers to their cause, the US secretary of Homeland Security warned Sunday.

    In an interview with ABC News, Jeh Johnson said the Islamic State group's influence was spreading far beyond the battlegrounds of the Middle East.

    "We're very definitely in a new environment, because of ISIL's (IS's) effective use of social media, the Internet, which has the ability to reach into the homeland and possibly inspire others," Johnson said.

    "We're very definitely in a new phase in the global terrorist threat, where the so-called lone wolf could strike at any moment."

    FBI Director James Comey last week said authorities were concerned about the IS group encouraging attacks on "the uniformed military and law enforcement" via online propaganda.

    There are "hundreds, maybe thousands" of people in the United States who had received recruitment messages from the jihadists, Comey said.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-...eat/ar-BBjy1fG
    The US military bolstered security at bases across the country Friday."
    This is an important issue, effecting not only the USA, but the whole world IMO.

    What we have going on in the social media world is a sort of challenge that folks are faced with.

    Folks such as you and I, and other people around the world are faced with the challenge of agreeing with the message of ISIL, or agreeing with the message of those fighting to destroy ISIL, or having no stance on the issue.

    You, I, and a whole bunch of people around the world want to see ISIL destroyed.


    There was a expert on this matter on one of the news stations here in the USA talking about how 15 or so years ago there were only a few AQ like minded folks posting on the internet trying to gain supporters. But with the boom of high speed internet access, and the fact that there are now many social media sites, that it has become easier for Aq, ISIL, as well as drug cartels, to get out their message.

    As we speak there are ISIL folks operating on social media sites like youtube for example. ISIL has also infiltrated the video game GTA5, ISILs media wing steals screenshots from GTA5 and use's them for propaganda purposes in an attempt to lure gamers to join ISIL.

    At the same time, as we speak there are Christians and Muslims in Iraq and Syria working on a military tactic to either defend themselves or to go on the attack against ISIL. While there are ISIL propagandists on the internet, there are also the many true Christians and true Muslims out there in Syria and Iraq whom are filming their fights against ISIL, and posting these videos to sites like youtube.

    Comment


    • #3
      The threat is international, it is not just Christians that are being targeted, in fact as you and I know, most of the victims of ISIS are Muslim. And we also know that defeating ISIS will not stop other terror groups from organizing.
      The Internet and other social media tools give them the ability to spread and organize attacks anywhere, anytime.
      We can only guess who or what will arise in the future, but we can be sure there will not be any end to this struggle.
      One good thing that may come out of this is that we will see a consolidation of those groups that are threatened by ISIS or what takes their place.
      But so far this has not happened. I have said this before, Putin and Obama are missing a golden opertunity to be world leaders in the true sense of the word.
      History records that there was a time when Stalin, Churchill, and FDR came together, put aside political differences, and defeated the greater threat.
      Perhaps China or Saudi Arabia will grow a spine and step to the forefront.
      We all should pray someone does.
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes but it took Britain being surrounded by a hostile continent, the sinking of most of the US Pacific fleet and German tanks at the gates of Moscow for them all to realize how grave the threat was. Until the threat becomes more real, direct and closer to home it will continue to be ignored.
        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
          Yes but it took Britain being surrounded by a hostile continent, the sinking of most of the US Pacific fleet and German tanks at the gates of Moscow for them all to realize how grave the threat was. Until the threat becomes more real, direct and closer to home it will continue to be ignored.
          Or public demand may force them. But, Saudi Arabia and Egypt and Israel and Iraq can not wait.
          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

          Comment


          • #6
            For the most part the public doesn't really care. Not in any way serious enough that they'd actually do anything about it, or politically accept the actions that would be necessary to deal with the threat.
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

            Comment


            • #7
              The thing is we are a armed people. I've got guns, you've got guns. Someone making trouble is likely to get shot real quick.

              That's why I'm not afraid, or even worried about them...
              Credo quia absurdum.


              Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                The thing is we are a armed people. I've got guns, you've got guns. Someone making trouble is likely to get shot real quick.

                That's why I'm not afraid, or even worried about them...
                They will not attack you at home. They will attack US when we are at play, at a marathon race, a rally, at work.
                Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                  They will not attack you at home. They will attack US when we are at play, at a marathon race, a rally, at work.
                  And WE will gun them down. I don't expect the government to save my ass. I expect my fellow citizen to. Just like I'd do the same for them.
                  Credo quia absurdum.


                  Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So what you're saying is they'll just attack New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts and California?
                    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well if they attack hollyweird or berserkley...
                      Credo quia absurdum.


                      Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Why bother, they'd either be welcomed as liberators or given a check.
                        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                          And WE will gun them down. I don't expect the government to save my ass. I expect my fellow citizen to. Just like I'd do the same for them.
                          This has not been the case. Only two have been shot dead and that was by a well trained policeman. I know you mean well, but you are dreaming.
                          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

                            It happens all the time.
                            Credo quia absurdum.


                            Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                              This has not been the case. Only two have been shot dead and that was by a well trained policeman. I know you mean well, but you are dreaming.
                              I admit I don't really know too much about the specifics of this officer but what makes you say he was well trained? Policemen run an extreme range from well trained to all but completely untrained.
                              "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X