Texas students take aim at Jefferson Davis campus statue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas students take aim at Jefferson Davis campus statue

DALLAS (AP) Pity Jefferson Davis, if you will. Vandals have defaced his statue on the University of Texas campus, most recently with the words "Davis must fall" and "Emancipate UT." Student leaders are also seeking to remove from the Austin campus the century-old statue that recognizes the president of the Confederacy.

"We thought, there are those old ties to slavery and some would find it offensive," said senior Jamie Nalley, who joined an overwhelming majority of the Student Government in adopting a resolution in March supporting his ouster.

But as students take aim at Davis, the number of sites in Texas on public and private land that honor the Confederacy is growing despite the opposition of the NAACP and others. Supporters cite their right to memorialize Confederate veterans and their role in Texas history, while opponents argue the memorials are too often insensitive or antagonistic, while having the backing of public institutions like UT.

The Texas Historical Commission has recognized more than 1,000 such sites from far South Texas to the upper reaches of the Panhandle. And the Sons of Confederate Veterans are planning others, including a 10-foot obelisk a few miles from the Davis statue to honor about 450 Confederate soldiers buried at the city-owned Oakwood Cemetery.

"I don't think we're trying to put up stuff just to put up stuff," said Marshall Davis, spokesman for the Sons of Confederate Veterans in Texas. "We don't want to impede anyone else from honoring their heroes. We would like to honor our heroes with the same consideration, tolerance and diversity."
    AP - Full Article

If people are after Jeff Davis, I wonder if there has been any outcry about Kappa Sigma Fraternity? They are supposed to use Davis as a role model.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Wow...who knew so many college students were so uneducated and so bigotted?

Probably ought to take G. Washington off of the dollar bill while we're at it.

What the do they teach these idiots these days...basket weaving?

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Why yes.
        Underwater basket weaving

Although the phrase "underwater basket weaving" is often used as an idiom for a useless elective, it's actually been taught at multiple colleges. While it may bring to mind images of students quickly weaving reeds on the bottom of the campus pool, underwater basket weaving actually involves making baskets by dipping reeds into water and letting them soak at least that's how Reed College of Portland in Oregon, and University of California in San Diego taught it.

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Maybe they got the idea from that other bunch that likes blow up statues, the Muslims...

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            Why yes.
            Underwater basket weaving

Although the phrase "underwater basket weaving" is often used as an idiom for a useless elective, it's actually been taught at multiple colleges. While it may bring to mind images of students quickly weaving reeds on the bottom of the campus pool, underwater basket weaving actually involves making baskets by dipping reeds into water and letting them soak at least that's how Reed College of Portland in Oregon, and University of California in San Diego taught it.

Nah... These days it's 43 man Squamish (look it up) or a fine arts degree in pre-historic trans-Siberian literature...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43-Man_Squamish

Comment

Ignorance abounds.
              I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
              --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

http://conservative-headlines.com/20...-flag-picture/

The leader of this group of clowns was recently arrested.
                I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Soon.... very soon.

My worst jump story:
                  My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                  As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                  No lie.

~
                  "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I think it is time to admit that the people who allowed slavery to take root in America created a huge pain in the rear for all of us. The number of founding fathers who owned slaves of course makes it impractical to remove any tribute to people who owned slaves. Jefferson Davis on the other hand was not only pro slavery but treasonous. Maybe that makes it less hypocritical to remove his effigy from public edification.
                    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                      I think it is time to admit that the people who allowed slavery to take root in America created a huge pain in the rear for all of us. The number of founding fathers who owned slaves of course makes it impractical to remove any tribute to people who owned slaves. Jefferson Davis on the other hand was not only pro slavery but treasonous. Maybe that makes it less hypocritical to remove his effigy from public edification.
                      Really? I didn't know they tried him and convicted him of treason? Interesting.
                      --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

A product of circumstance. I guess I could blame Africans for having themselves enslaved.
                        My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I have no problem with a statue of a man who owned slaves, many great men of that time and earlier did. I do however have a problem with a monument to a traitor.

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          A product of circumstance. I guess I could blame Africans for having themselves enslaved.
                          You mean for enslaving each other for sale to Europeans? That part is usually left out.
                          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Its time to admit that this nation was founded by traitors, and governed by men who would have been hanged if the legal authorities had managed to get their hands upon them.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Its time to admit that this nation was founded by traitors, and governed by men who would have been hanged if the legal authorities had managed to get their hands upon them.
                              True, however they won. Davis did not. Ergo, he stands as a traitor and why the US allows statues to traitors, I cannot fathom.
                              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X