Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAE seeks security guarentee from Obama,

They must be smoking something!

"The United Arab Emirates is seeking some form of U.S. security guarantee from President Barack Obama’s Camp David meeting with the six Gulf Cooperation Council nations, the ambassador of the United Arab Emirates to Washington said on Thursday.

“We are looking for (some form of) security guarantee given the behavior of Iran in the region,” Ambassador Youssef Al Otaiba said at a Washington think tank. “In the past, we have survived with a gentleman's agreement with the United States about security ... I think today we need something in writing. We need something institutionalized.”

Obama has invited GCC leaders for meetings in Washington and at the Camp David presidential retreat May 13-14, an offer he made following the conclusion of a framework nuclear agreement with Iran.

The GCC is comprised of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman and Qatar.

Obama also is expected to make a renewed U.S. push next week to help Gulf allies create a region-wide defense system to guard against Iranian missiles as he seeks to allay their anxieties over the proposed nuclear deal with Tehran, according to U.S. sources."

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News...id-summit.html
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

UAE wants to buy a profitable time share...

Same headline, same chance of working...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      UAE wants to buy a profitable time share...

Same headline, same chance of working...
      A commitment from Obama?
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the punch line...

This is a joke right?
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

"The United Arab Emirates is seeking some form of U.S. security guarantee from President Barack Obama’s Camp David meeting with the six Gulf Cooperation Council nations, the ambassador of the United Arab Emirates to Washington said on Thursday.

“We are looking for (some form of) security guarantee given the behavior of Iran in the region,” Ambassador Youssef Al Otaiba said at a Washington think tank. “In the past, we have survived with a gentleman's agreement with the United States about security ... I think today we need something in writing. We need something institutionalized.”

Obama has invited GCC leaders for meetings in Washington and at the Camp David presidential retreat May 13-14, an offer he made following the conclusion of a framework nuclear agreement with Iran.

Obama also is expected to make a renewed U.S. push next week to help Gulf allies create a region-wide defense system to guard against Iranian missiles as he seeks to allay their anxieties over the proposed nuclear deal with Tehran, according to U.S. sources."

No...just seeking the usual promises from their tame Muslim president.

And they will get them, just as the Iranians did.

If the Middle Eastern natins with thier trillions in oil revenues want a defense system, let them purchase it or manufacture it and pay top dollar for it. TRhe last thing we need to do is place our cutting edge defense systems in the hands of our enemies where it will quickly and up on the black market for the terrorists to acquire.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            . If the Middle Eastern natins with thier trillions in oil revenues want a defense system, let them purchase it or manufacture it and pay top dollar for it. TRhe last thing we need to do is place our cutting edge defense systems in the hands of our enemies where it will quickly and up on the black market for the terrorists to acquire.
            Actually I think the cutting edge defence system they had in mind was the US Army. It reads to me that they want a NATO like pact where the US will ride to the rescue in person.
            Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
              Actually I think the cutting edge defence system they had in mind was the US Army. It reads to me that they want a NATO like pact where the US will ride to the rescue in person.
              I'm not sure they would be too happy with the idea of infidel boots on Sunni sand, but I dare say that they would allow them to stomp on Shi'a Iran, since they a considered non-halal as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
                I'm not sure they would be too happy with the idea of infidel boots on Sunni sand, but I dare say that they would allow them to stomp on Shi'a Iran, since they a considered non-halal as well.
                When threatened with invasion we will find religious dogma parked for a while. Saudi was content to host US troops in the Gulf War, knowing there was a good chance Saddam would have come for them after he was done with Kuwait.
                Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
                  We're talking UAE, not Saudi (which has zero trouble with 'infidel boots'). Dubai runs on 'infidels' and it isn't alone. In fact, the place seems to run on devout Christians - Filipinos & Ethiopians do a lot of child minding & house cleaning & Filipinos seem to run the airport & half the shops. Listening to Christian devotional music while waiting for a fruit juice in the Dubai Mall is a truly surreal experience. No trouble finding pork or alcohol for sale. Qatar is going to relax a bunch of rules to let 'infidels' flood in for a Soccer World Cup.

If the US wanted to drop half a million troops in UAE tomorrow the rulers wouldn't give it a moment's thought. Probably offer to foot the bill. Not remotely going to happen, but not because the people doing the asking fit some sort of cardboard cutout image of 'Muslims'
                  Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

Interesting,

Saudi Arabia is a trustworthy ally that has allowed USA boots on its grounds, not because of the fact that Christians and Muslims work together, history shows us that Christians and Muslims have been working together for centuries. But more because of the fact that if X country allows Y countries military in Xs country, how do you know that Ys military is not going to turn on X country?

We are in this together, thats the USA and its allies in the ME such as the GCC states. All one has to do is look at centcoms website.

Of course the GCC states as well as Israel have differing views on Iran when compared to the USA

Wrt the Iran thing, the USA gov is led by brilliant people, I feel its important to have confidence in the USA and its allies abilities in the ME. Civilians on the internet such as myself and others are going to have their views, but at least anyone who follows the ME knows that the allied coalition is strong and not afraid to take on ISIL.

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
                      Interesting,

Saudi Arabia is a trustworthy ally that has allowed USA boots on its grounds, not because of the fact that Christians and Muslims work together, history shows us that Christians and Muslims have been working together for centuries. But more because of the fact that if X country allows Y countries military in Xs country, how do you know that Ys military is not going to turn on X country?

We are in this together, thats the USA and its allies in the ME such as the GCC states. All one has to do is look at centcoms website.

Of course the GCC states as well as Israel have differing views on Iran when compared to the USA

Wrt the Iran thing, the USA gov is led by brilliant people, I feel its important to have confidence in the USA and its allies abilities in the ME. Civilians on the internet such as myself and others are going to have their views, but at least anyone who follows the ME knows that the allied coalition is strong and not afraid to take on ISIL.
                      I agree, Obama has pulled away from Saudi, a big mistake in my opinion. Frankly I think Obama has mishandled the situation in the ME to a greater degree than Bush did. And that is saying a lot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X