NSA phone data collection 'illegal', US court rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSA phone data collection 'illegal', US court rules

A US appeals court has ruled that bulk collection of phone records by the National Security Agency is illegal.
    The 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals overturned a 2013 ruling which said the programme was constitutional.
    The NSA's snooping was leaked by Edward Snowden, a former NSA contractor who has since fled to Russia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32620742

We should let the patriot act go as well.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

I for one find it reassuring to know that if I ever forget my cellphone PIN code, there's a government agency that might be able to provide it to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
      The NSA's snooping was leaked by Edward Snowden, a former NSA contractor who has since fled to Russia.
      We should let the patriot act go as well.
      Snowden doesn't get to arbitrarily decide what TS stuff to leak or not... He can share a cell with Johnathan Pollard....You forgot to mention the court refused to end the program....Hmmmmmmmm

Comment

But it won't go anytime soon. With terrorism, it's still easy to convince people that it's in their best interest to allow the government to monitor our phone records "just in case".

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
          But it won't go anytime soon. With terrorism, it's still easy to convince people that it's in their best interest to allow the government to monitor our phone records "just in case".

Why not instead go after the sites that promote this? Shut them down with a five hundred pound bomb. There problem solved.

I really could care less about them monitoring us, its the principle of the matter. I just don't care to pay some nitwit to see what joke sites I visit. Let them get a real job and quit wasting our money...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
            I for one find it reassuring to know that if I ever forget my cellphone PIN code, there's a government agency that might be able to provide it to me...
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

This will not stop the NSA, of course; they will just re-name the program to make it sound like something that monitors terrorism and continue on as usual.

Comment

I wonder what all of you who are anti-NSA, and hence by default pro-Snowden, the traitor, will do when the security/intelligence agencies are finally hamstrung and there is another large terrorist attack that could have been prevented?

Undoubtedly you will all wail and gnash teeth and, of course, blame the government.

You can't have it both ways.

Sincerely,
                M
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Soon, if not already, the NSA will be converting millions of phone conversations into easily data mine-able text via their massive computer system using the latest in dictation software.
                  “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                    Soon, if not already, the NSA will be converting millions of phone conversations into easily data mine-able text via their massive computer system using the latest in dictation software.
                    And you know this how?

Sincerely,
                    M
                    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                      And you know this how?

Sincerely,
                      M
                      You know, of course, how Dragon Dictate works. In addition, a lot of companies using automated phone trees are using text to speech software in those automated phone trees.

The NSA has already developed software called "Google for Voice." It is already in use according to Snowden.
                      http://www.ibtimes.com/nsa-converts-...rogram-1910638

They are doing far more then just collecting info on where and when you have made your phone calls, they are creating and storing transcripts of what you have said in those phone calls, all without getting a warrant to do so.
                      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                        You know, of course, how Dragon Dictate works. In addition, a lot of companies using automated phone trees are using text to speech software in those automated phone trees.

The NSA has already developed software called "Google for Voice." It is already in use according to Snowden.
                        http://www.ibtimes.com/nsa-converts-...rogram-1910638

They are doing far more then just collecting info on where and when you have made your phone calls, they are creating and storing transcripts of what you have said in those phone calls, all without getting a warrant to do so.
                        And relying on Snowden, who is a traitor, is a good thing? Give us all a break.

And if you support what Snowden did, then you are supporting betraying the country.

And that goes for Rand Paul as well. And that puts Rand Paul in the same class of scoundrel as Hillary Clinton.

Sincerely,
                        M

Comment

I've been talking on recorded lines and radio channels for years. My work e-mails and texts from, my issue phone are open to the public record.

And frankly, so could the stuff from my personal communications. The phone companies and many server providers already know all of it, sdo why not let the NSA have it? I never use a wireless communications without assuming that there is no privacy.

If you're worried about being overheard, don't use wireless communications of any sort, and frankly you shouldn't use landlines either.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

And now the head of NSA says he "forgot the program was in place"!
                            http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...attorney-says/

BULL S***!!

Comment

Still think the the bulk collection of data without prerequisites and undisciplined thought and technique is objectionable and actually demonstrates lack of skill and ability. The best way is to learn to actually use the legal system AND the technical system without having to infringe thoughtlessly on citizens. It's not necessary to do this kind of surveillance on everyone. In fact, it's probably a hindrance if one must sort and analyze all the junk data that exists. For instance, who really gives a crap about some 12 year old playing Minecraft? There are literally hundreds of thousands of people doing that with voice and text chat going. It's simply stupid to collect meta-data much less a full session. Pointless and a waste of resources.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X