Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago approves $5.5M package for police torture victims

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chicago approves $5.5M package for police torture victims

    CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago City Council on Wednesday approved a $5.5 million reparations package for the victims of the city's notorious police torture scandal that also includes a formal apology and a promise to teach schoolchildren about one of the darkest chapters in Chicago's history.

    The city has already paid more than $100 million in legal settlements, court judgments and legal fees related to the torture of suspects — most of them African-American — from the 1970s through the early 1990s by a detective unit under disgraced former police commander Jon Burge.

    The council voted 42-0 in favor of the award, the terms of which were announced last month by aldermen and Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Before the vote, the names of more than a dozen torture victims and survivors were read and they stood while the council gave them a standing ovation.
    AP - Full Article

  • #2
    Does the word"torture" mean real torture ?
    Does it mean that a US police department has acted like a kindda Gestapo in blue ?
    Hard to believe.Does the term "police violence" fit better ?
    That rug really tied the room together

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
      Does the word"torture" mean real torture ?
      Does it mean that a US police department has acted like a kindda Gestapo in blue ?
      Hard to believe.Does the term "police violence" fit better ?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Burge#The_Torture

      Burge and other Chicago Police officers allegedly used methods of torture that left few marks. They were accused of slamming telephone books on top of suspect’s heads. There were also three separate electrical devices that Burge and his detectives were accused of using: a cattle prod, a hand cranked device, and a violet wand. They allegedly used a Tucker telephone, an old-style hand cranked telephone which generated electricity, and attached wires to the suspect’s genitals or face. According to veteran sergeant D. J. Lewis, this is a method of torture common in the Korean War, and usually results in a confession. Burge has denied ever witnessing such telephone torture procedures. The violet wand was said to be regularly placed either on the anus, into the rectum or against the victim's exposed genitals. They also used stun guns and adapted hair dryers. Burge and officers under his command also allegedly engaged in mock executions, in putting plastic bags over heads, cigarette burnings and severe beatings. At one point he is alleged to have supervised the electrical shocking of a 13 year old boy, Marcus Wiggins.

      Comment


      • #4
        No wonder Chicago is broke, but this will end up being paid by the taxpayers of America, not the people of Chicago or the police.

        Chicago will just request it in their bail-out grant.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          No wonder Chicago is broke, but this will end up being paid by the taxpayers of America, not the people of Chicago or the police.

          Chicago will just request it in their bail-out grant.
          It won't be enough. It will just open up the spigot of more blackmail money for present as well as past use of force against young Black males that are involved in criminal activity or happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
          “Breaking News,”

          “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
            It won't be enough. It will just open up the spigot of more blackmail money for present as well as past use of force against young Black males that are involved in criminal activity or happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
            You think this was blackmail?

            Comment


            • #7


              From federal funds? What a total asshat.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

              ~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                You think this was blackmail?
                Once the race baiters, Jackson and Sharpton, get involved, it will become a shakedown for more.

                Over $100 million has been awarded as a result of past lawsuits. As this current settlement is an attempt to make future lawsuits go away, it is not going to work.
                “Breaking News,”

                “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                  Once the race baiters, Jackson and Sharpton, get involved, it will become a shakedown for more.

                  Over $100 million has been awarded as a result of past lawsuits. As this current settlement is an attempt to make future lawsuits go away, it is not going to work.
                  So they shouldn't have paid anything?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wouldn't it be cheaper to have IA find the repeat offenders (abusers/torturers) and remove the problem?
                    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

                    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                      Wouldn't it be cheaper to have IA find the repeat offenders (abusers/torturers) and remove the problem?
                      That would make sense, however, I believe some of these crimes go back years. Some innocent people have already served their time after coerced confessions.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

                      ~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                        That would make sense, however, I believe some of these crimes go back years. Some innocent people have already served their time after coerced confessions.
                        And some of the innocents and tortured were given the death penalty.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          image.jpg

                          Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                          Wouldn't it be cheaper to have IA find the repeat offenders (abusers/torturers) and remove the problem?
                          You should have seen me die laughing when I realized you were serious...
                          "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

                          BoRG

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                            And some of the innocents and tortured were given the death penalty.
                            That could be a liability for them to collect damages.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

                            ~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                              Wouldn't it be cheaper to have IA find the repeat offenders (abusers/torturers) and remove the problem?
                              The allegations run from the 70s to very early 90s. The few officers who have been accused (but never charged) have since retired.

                              To my knowledge they haven't been able to put a case together against any officer or City employee. The guy in charge of the unit got charged with perjury and did a couple months in a halfway house, but that's it.

                              There's not a huge amount of evidence to support the claims.

                              The average 'victim' will get $100,000 each, before any legal fees. Several lawyers are doing quite well off of this, however, so its all good.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X