No announcement yet.

21st Century Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the parents work in Silicon Valley and had terrible experience finding schools for their children. This school appeals to the Techie parents.

They also accept children of gay parents.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      Yep, I know that. That is something I think needs to change. Abolish colleges of education entirely and let anyone with a degree teach. I bet some retired engineer would be better at teaching math and science than someone with an arts degree in education would be.
      I'd also bet some one with a journalism or English degree would be better at teaching English to kids.

If you look at colleges of education today across the US they are often filled with some of the most radical Leftists you can find on a university campus. Their ideas and methods are geared to teaching new teachers how to think correctly politically and indoctrinate their students rather than to creating open minded and educated children.
      I was lucky enough to go to University with a practical approach to education. At most universities (and to some extent the one I attended) the classes do not get you ready for teaching at all.
      I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
      --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Savez View Post
        I was lucky enough to go to University with a practical approach to education. At most universities (and to some extent the one I attended) the classes do not get you ready for teaching at all.
        Yep. I've known a lot of people to go through the degree and credentialing programs, and I went partway through the credential process before switching fields. A whole lot of busywork and hoop jumping, and not a great deal that was constructive.

In reality though, the setup (in California at least) requires such tight adherence to the curriculum and standards that there is not a lot of flexibility for actual teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Yep, I know that. That is something I think needs to change. Abolish colleges of education entirely and let anyone with a degree teach. I bet some retired engineer would be better at teaching math and science than someone with an arts degree in education would be.
          I'd also bet some one with a journalism or English degree would be better at teaching English to kids.

If you look at colleges of education today across the US they are often filled with some of the most radical Leftists you can find on a university campus. Their ideas and methods are geared to teaching new teachers how to think correctly politically and indoctrinate their students rather than to creating open minded and educated children.
          TAG,
          Of course no state is going to completely dismantle the Education College in their Universities. However, many are ahead of you with the idea of attracting Professionals into education. In WA it's called an MIT (Masters in Teaching). It is a fast track cohort concept. During the recession it attracted some very worthy individuals particularly in the Math and Sciences. We lost more than a few as the economy began to recover. The program still exists, but the members mainly hold various Sociology and Humanity degrees.
          My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
            TAG,
            . The program still exists, but the members mainly hold various Sociology and Humanity degrees.
            IOW, they're Lefty Libbies.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
              TAG,
              Of course no state is going to completely dismantle the Education College in their Universities. However, many are ahead of you with the idea of attracting Professionals into education. In WA it's called an MIT (Masters in Teaching). It is a fast track cohort concept. During the recession it attracted some very worthy individuals particularly in the Math and Sciences. We lost more than a few as the economy began to recover. The program still exists, but the members mainly hold various Sociology and Humanity degrees.
              I have a Masters of Arts in Teaching. It wasn't much different than getting a Masters in any other subject though.
              I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
              --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Savez View Post
                I have a Masters of Arts in Teaching. It wasn't much different than getting a Masters in any other subject though.
                I don't know in your case. A friend of the wife's is a teacher. When she did her master's (this is at ASU in Phoenix), she'd bring some of the papers she was doing by for me to edit / review.

I'll be honest. I was stunned by how pathetically bad they were both in research and documentation. She said they usually got her a decent (B or better) grade.
                In math and science she was ill-prepared and in science in particular I was again stunned by how almost illiterate she was on any but the most general topic.

I know the ones I worked with when I was a VT instructor were poor at math and science too. I often had to come and show them how to do some problem or another, particularly word problems, ones involving lots of variables or fractions, and the like.
                Stunned was the only word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Percy Coburg View Post
                  Most of the parents work in Silicon Valley and had terrible experience finding schools for their children. This school appeals to the Techie parents.

They also accept children of gay parents.
                  Children's of gay parents..How can they be refused in other schools ?
                  Are they listed like "born from people from the same sex "?
                  I mean ,are they registered somewhere?
                  I cannot believe that your country makes a special status with these child.
                  That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                    Never underestimate the American ability to complicate things for pointless reasons.

Comment

Most private schools are run by religious institutions.
                      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

It's not the country making a special status...public schools make no distinction no matter who a child's parents are. Many kids have same-sex parents...but private schools are not necessarily bound by the same rules. The only restrictions I'm aware of in public schools are health department related...kids are required to have certain vaccinations etc. Otherwise I am not aware of any kids being turned away from public school for any reason. I imagine that the only time this becomes an issue even in private schools is those that are run by conservative churches.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                          Most private schools are run by religious institutions.
                          Bingo!

It's unfortunate but it happens. They will make the gay parent go through the process then deny the child. But there are also straight parents that are denied as well, so that it doesn't appear deliberate but it is.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X