Texas of the North goes Commie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas of the North goes Commie

Alberta, land of cowboys and oil-sands, fortress of Canadian conservatism, birthplace of Ted Cruz and main source of US oil imports has broken 44-straight years of majority conservative rule and elected a majority left-wing government. And the job losses have already begun - at least 50 conservative politicians already out of work...

EDMONTON ó The NDP has won a majority in Alberta by toppling the Progressive Conservative colossus that has dominated the province for more than four decades.
    Itís a tectonic shift in Alberta politics, which has seen government change hands only four times since the Liberals won the first election when Alberta became a province in 1905.

The Tories, first elected in 1971, had been the longest-serving government in Canadian history at 43 years and almost eight months.
    It was supposed to be a victory lap for the premier, whose party held 70 of 87 seats at dissolution. The Wildrose and the Liberals are both coming off leadership changes and the NDP has never won more than 16 seats in an election.

The campaign didnít work out that way.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...-election.html

We got to build a fence...we gota to. Dim dar coomies we start cumin cross in waves I tell ya.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

It was inevitable that the PC government would one day lose power. The fact they held power for 44 years without a break led to a number of missteps over the past 4-5 years that turned the population against the 'old guard'.

The problem is that in showing their frustration with the status quo, my neighbours may have just voted against their own self-interests and for many, out of a job. It is now up to Rachelle Notley's new government to 'move right' in ordr to placate business, include the big oil companies, so they do not 'divest' further and cost even more jobs than has already occurred due to the drop in oil prices.

The oil price drop has seen thousands of job losses not only in the oilsands but also the support industries (oil service, etc) but also in all the spin off jobs (restos, hotels, car sales, hotels). If Notley holds to the 'party line' her government will do no better than all the other NDP provincial governments - high unemployment, large debt and deficits, businesses pulling out.

Historically, their record is not good. Now we wait and see how this effects, not only Alberta, but also the rest of Canada, as Alberta has been a large part of the national 'economic engine'. This win for the NDP is theirs to lose.
      Last edited by The Purist; 06 May 15, 13:59.
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

The thing with the NDP is that it is a somewhat schizophrenic party being founded partly on the prairie populism of the old CCF and partly on the BC and Ontario labour movements. The record of the Ontario and BC NDP in power is not good. The record of the Saskatchewan and Manitoba NDP is a lot better, and in fact they have tended to be more fiscally conservative than the Conservatives in those provinces. The question is which path the Alberta NDP will take. Having spent almost 40 years in Alberta and actually knowing the Notley family (I met her when we were both 10!), I think the NDP government in Alberta will probably operate very close to how Lougheed ran the province back in 70s and 80s for the Conservatives.

Comment

Alberta might have been Conservative with cowboys but it sure as hell ain't Texas.
          ďI do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
          --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Return of the Yeomen!

Me predict it the massive return of the UNITED FARMERS OF ALBERTA- our Natural governing party!

Unleash John Edward Brownlee for another run as premier!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Farmers_of_Alberta
            Attached Files
            Last edited by marktwain; 06 May 15, 16:48.
            The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by Savez View Post
              Alberta might have been Conservative with cowboys but it sure as hell ain't Texas.
              You're right, Alberta is bigger and far more beautiful. I've spent most of my life in Alberta and most of my professional career travelling between Houston, Calgary and London. Betwixt Texas and Alberta, Alberta wins at every turn:

- Texas - generally flat, hot, humid, dusty with placid rivers meandering to the Gulf. Now this has an appeal of its own but let's face it, 95 deg F and 95% humidity by 0800h is just wrong. Still, the traffic in Houston, Dallas and Ft Worth is disheartening

- Alberta - from the boreal forest of the north (the 60th par.) with bison, buffalo, black bears and wolfs, to the southern (49th par.) sage desert cut by coulees and river gorges two, three or four hundred feet deep, to the eastern prairies with grain fields as far as the eye can see (often into yesterday to the west and into tomorrow to the east), to the Rocky Mountains in the west with its alpine pine forests, Banff, Jasper and Waterton National Parks, huge elk, grizzly bears, massive glaciers. Where one can hike for hours in the wilderness of Kananaskis and not meet a soul, explore the back country where water can be drunk straight from the stream beds, where mountain lions, mountain sheep and deer in their legions roam with hardly any human contact.

Yep,... Texas sure as hell ain't Alberta.
              Last edited by The Purist; 07 May 15, 08:10.
              The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

YUUUUUUH......

Ian TYSON : "ALBERTA'S CHILD"

Well, them ol' boys in Texas chew copenhagen
                Wash it all down with that Coors
                Ain't a bit bashful about speakin' their minds
                They'll tell you what's theirs and what's yours
                There's Waylon and there's Willie,
                they own about half the state
                And sing of her glories all in song
                Talk about your lovers and your fighters
                wild brahma bull riders
                The whole thing takes a holt and goes on

Ride with me Jesus, help me pull this heavy load
                Don't let her slip, don't let her slide
                You answer all our questions further down this muddy road
                Old cowboys cross the Great Divide

Well up north it's saddle broncs and it's hockey and honkytonks
                Old Wilf Carter 78s
                Dumb stuff like chores when it's twenty below
                They're the things that a country boy hates
                Too much damn wind and not enough whiskey
                Drives them ol' northern boys flat wild
                And he many go to Hell or even Vancouver
                He'll always be Alberta's child

The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                  You're right, it's bigger and far more beautiful. I've spent most of my life in Alberta and most of my professional career travelling between Houston, Calgary and London. betwixt Texas and Alberta, Alberta wins at every turn:

- Texas - generally flat, hot, humid, dusty with placid rivers meandering to the Gulf. Now this has an appeal of its own but let's face it, 95 deg F and 95% humidity by 0800h is just wrong. Still, the traffic in Houston, Dallas and Ft Worth is disheartening

- Alberta - from the boreal forest of the north (the 60th par.) with bison, buffalo, black bears and wolfs, to the southern (49th par.) sage desert cut by coulees and river gorges two, three or four hundred feet deep, to the eastern prairies with grain fields as far as the eye can see (often into yesterday to the west and into tomorrow to the east), to the Rocky Mountains in the west with its alpine pine forests, Banff, Jasper and Waterton National Parks, huge elk, grizzly beers, massive glaciers. Where one can hike for hours in wilderness of Kananaskis and not meet a soul, explore the back country where water can be drunk straight from the stream beds, where mountain lions, mountain sheep and deer in their legions roam with hardly any human contact.

Yep,... Texas sure as hell ain't Alberta.
                  Texas is a hideously ugly state. The few nice looking parts don't make up for the many, many miles of sheer boredom that make up most of it.

Hey, it looks great if you have a deep love for flat farmland.

Comment

A former US ambassador to Canada, James Blanchard, quoted in his book a remark that the difference between the oil capital of Houston, Texas and the oil Capital of Calgary, Alberta is that Calgary isn't anti-American.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                      A former US ambassador to Canada, James Blanchard, quoted in his book a remark that the difference between the oil capital of Houston, Texas and the oil Capital of Calgary, Alberta is that Calgary isn't anti-American.
                      I have had the honor to vote for AND against him.

Not too bad a shmoe as far as Democrats go.

Comment

Are the females in Alberta as good lucking as the females in Texas? Considering I met my wife in Houston and my wife is hot, I might have to go witth the hot babes from Texas!

Comment

The Alberta election - a guide for the perplexed (warning - there's a plethora of f-bombs in this).

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/alber...-perplexed-190

Comment

And the rest of the world responds with an appropriate "Meh".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X