Social/Political media. Pos. or Neg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social/Political media. Pos. or Neg.

OK , hang on, those of you that know me understand it takes me 100 words to give you 10 words of information.
    Andy H. started a thread that went toward a discussion on Martial Law. I thought the concept was invoked during the Mt. St. Helens incident. It wasn’t.
    However, during my search, I encountered some really weird social/political media blogs. Remember, I'm ancient.
    Pardon my naivete. I don’t read “fringe blogs” and was stunned by the ideas that more than a few people have about events, or possible events, legislation or possible legislation, and Gov. actions or possible Gov. actions. The last I read dealt with the military practice in the SW which was a horror to the Hard Right, but I found the Hard Left have their own issues.

Darn it Hal! Get to the point! OK, here it is...
    In this area, does Social Media serve a positive purpose by allowing people to let off steam, or is it a negative by uniting individuals into electronic groups that find a common purpose?

Until today I was confident that the answer was the former, after today, I’m afraid it’s the latter.
    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

A little of the former, a LOT of the latter.

The Net has been a massive boon to pedophiles and fringe groups, as they now have a safe medium by which to find each other.

On a positive note, police agencies can find them as well, and since they are public, can freely monitor them.

But overall the Net has had a very dynamic impact on the ability of the fringe groups to meet, recruit, and organize.

Try visiting 'prepper' forums for some really interesting views of the near future.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
      OK , hang on, those of you that know me understand it takes me 100 words to give you 10 words of information.
      Andy H. started a thread that went toward a discussion on Martial Law. I thought the concept was invoked during the Mt. St. Helens incident. It wasn’t.
      However, during my search, I encountered some really weird social/political media blogs. Remember, I'm ancient.
      Pardon my naivete. I don’t read “fringe blogs” and was stunned by the ideas that more than a few people have about events, or possible events, legislation or possible legislation, and Gov. actions or possible Gov. actions. The last I read dealt with the military practice in the SW which was a horror to the Hard Right, but I found the Hard Left have their own issues.

Darn it Hal! Get to the point! OK, here it is...
      In this area, does Social Media serve a positive purpose by allowing people to let off steam, or is it a negative by uniting individuals into electronic groups that find a common purpose?

Until today I was confident that the answer was the former, after today, I’m afraid it’s the latter.
      I think it's both. How social media is used is, after all, is up to the individual user.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        A little of the former, a LOT of the latter.

The Net has been a massive boon to pedophiles and fringe groups, as they now have a safe medium by which to find each other.

On a positive note, police agencies can find them as well, and since they are public, can freely monitor them.

But overall the Net has had a very dynamic impact on the ability of the fringe groups to meet, recruit, and organize.

Try visiting 'prepper' forums for some really interesting views of the near future.
        Or tune in to BoBo's tweets and the White House blogs for a real live view of a distorted fantasy world that never existed and never will.

It's like any other tool in Mankind's box - it depends entirely on both the user and how it's used.

The only reason you are now aware of groups like the preppers, incidentally, is because you can now tune in yourself. The dialogue has always been there - you just couldn't read it before, so in a sense the world is a slightly more open place than it used to be.

Then, of course, there is The Dark Web.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X