Texas governor criticised for asking troops to monitor federal exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas governor criticised for asking troops to monitor federal exercises

Texas Governor Greg Abbott is coming under increasing criticism for ordering the Texas State Guard to monitor federal military exercises.

The exercises drew concerns that the government could implement martial law or confiscate citizens' guns.

Former Texas Governor Rick Perry, the Pentagon, and the White House have suggested the concerns and Mr Abbott's request were unfounded.

The exercises, called Jade Helm 15, are set to begin in July.
    BBC - Full Article

Pentagon: No Texas takeover plot

Washington (CNN)Don't mess with Texas -- even if it's just an exercise.

Amid unfounded, Internet-fueled rumors that U.S. Special Operations Forces might be trying to take over parts of the southwest, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott ordered Texas State Guard forces under his control to keep an eye on the U.S. military during a large upcoming training exercise.

The exercise is called Jade Helm 15.

"It is important that Texans know their safety, constitutional rights, private property rights and civil liberties will not be infringed," Abbott said in an April 28 letter to Major Gen. Gerald "Jake" Betty, commander of the guard.

Abbott ordered the guard to "monitor" the eight week-long exercise which begins in July and ends in September, across seven states. In Texas, Utah and New Mexico most of the training will take place on private land. In Arizona, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi, much of it will take place on military installations.
    CNN - Full Article

Here's the map in question:

Comment

They got Texas in the right category! Abbott is definitely hostile!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

What's hilarious about this is that there were even large training exercises involving the military back in 2008 and there was no outcry from Texas.

Wonder why this time....
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
          What's hilarious about this is that there were even large training exercises involving the military back in 2008 and there was no outcry from Texas.

Wonder why this time....
          Takes time for the nuts to get ripe.

TX, if you thought CA was bad at least the whole nation wasn't laughing at you.

What would one A Team from the SF do with all the chubby wantabees from the TX guard. It really doesn't leave much to the imagination. With Abbot some of your past governors look like geniuses.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Sometimes it is truly disturbing how the internet often condenses and magnifies stupidity.

Comment

I'll never understand people who think the US military is legitimately a threat to the people or that they'd support Obama doing something crazy. Obama is no friend of the military and the majority of service members are no fans of Obama.
              "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                I'll never understand people who think the US military is legitimately a threat to the people or that they'd support Obama doing something crazy. Obama is no friend of the military and the majority of service members are no fans of Obama.
                Just because people are in the military doesn't automatically make them conservative.

Comment

I didn't say that. I was simply commenting on a trend I've observed over the years. Sure he has fans but they're pretty strongly in the minority. It's also important to note that you don't have to be a conservative to dislike Obama. That's fairly common knowledge. I'd imagine if Obama went off the deep end and ordered the kind of crazy unconstitutional thing the governor is worried about he'd be even less popular.
                  "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                    Obama is no fan of Greg Abbott or the State of Texas and the feeling is mutual.
                    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                      Obama is no fan of Greg Abbott or the State of Texas and the feeling is mutual.
                      As it now stands I'm not a fan of either of them. O is incompetent and divides that nation on race while TX lets their elected turn the state in something for the stand up comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        As it now stands I'm not a fan of either of them. O is incompetent and divides that nation on race while TX lets their elected turn the state in something for the stand up comics.
                        That's ok with me John, I would rather be here than anywhere else at least these stand up comedians leave me pretty much alone, unlike the clowns in the State where I am from with a new law, prohibition or tax on a daily basis.!
                        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

I think that the best thing the Federal Government can do to reassure Texans is to immediately withdraw the tens of thousands of US troops who currently constitute an occupation force. No doubt governor Abbott will enthusiastically embrace the offer.

Twenty years ago this sort of stuff was on the absolute fringe lunatic. Now it is mainstream. Truly depressing.
                          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

And here I thought they finally found a good use for a Wall-mart....

Comment

There are not enough Army posts to house the troops at Fort Hood and Fort Bliss. Twenty years ago it might have been possible, but not now. The Army has consolidated its units and closed "extra" bases in the CONUS. There are too many Texas Congressmen, and the Senators are too influential.

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X