Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben Carson and Baltimore

By Star Parker May 6, 2015 6:35 am
    His story defies much of the conventional wisdom we get from both the left and the right to "explain" the grave social problems in our poor minority communities and the seemingly insurmountable obstacles to success facing poor black children.

From the left, we hear that black life in America would have no hope but for government programs to ease the burdens of an unfair hand dealt by the past and an unwelcoming and racist present.

But Carson is a poster child for the American dream. Born poor in a black ghetto in Detroit and raised by a divorced, uneducated mother, he rose to the pinnacle of the medical profession, becoming director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. The fuel for his success was not government programs, but a stern and caring mother who refused to accept excuses for failure, Christian values of right and wrong and personal responsibility, and an ethic for work, learning and achievement.

From the right, we hear that the rampant problems with young black men today stem from the collapse of the black family and the absence of fathers.

But Carson was raised without a father at home.

So what can we learn from Carson's experience that could point to what is wrong in America today?

One thing wrong is that it has become politically incorrect to talk about the importance of religion.

It is impossible to explain Carson's remarkable life and achievements without the Christian faith and values that guided his mother and have served him throughout his life.
    http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/201.../?subscriber=1
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

"One thing wrong is that it has become politically incorrect to talk about the importance of religion"

I disagree with this statement in that "religion" should be replaced with "Christian Faith".
      “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
      --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Savez View Post
        "One thing wrong is that it has become politically incorrect to talk about the importance of religion"

I disagree with this statement in that "religion" should be replaced with "Christian Faith".
        Yeah, you Christians don't like being treated like the rest of us, do you?

Comment

The "War on Christmas", that never existed, has now morphed into the "War on Christians"......
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
            The "War on Christmas", that never existed, has now morphed into the "War on Christians"......
            Yeah, just like the nonexistent war on women, right?
            "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
              Pretty much. Conservatives has just as many nuts as the Liberals do - and the nuts on both sides are normally the loudest and with the most cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                Basically the same concept, yup. This new 'war' is just moving into the arena of actual politics with Sen Cruz and Mr Huckabee talking about it on the campaign stump.
                “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                “To talk of many things:
                Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                And why the sea is boiling hot—
                And whether pigs have wings.”
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

As an atheist~agnostic~non-religion member (or whatever) I think the "religion" = generic works. This would include Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, and others whom preach and prescribe similar values, ethics, and morals.
                  TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    YES, this is a race based question. After O does any black have a chance regardless of party? I would like to think so but very doubtful.

I believe that Obama was elected not once but twice because of the white guilt.

Obama certainly set the bar much, much higher for the next black candidate, but I am confident we will see another black president. The next one will actually be qualified to do the job.
                    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                      Yeah, you Christians don't like being treated like the rest of us, do you?
                      Its not a religion to me. Its a way of life. Its not something I do, its who I am, or at least who I strive to be.
                      “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                      --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                        As an atheist~agnostic~non-religion member (or whatever) I think the "religion" = generic works. This would include Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, and others whom preach and prescribe similar values, ethics, and morals.
                        But has it become politically incorrect to talk about all of those?
                        --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

But has it become politically incorrect to talk about all of those?
                          Are you trying to claim that it is politically incorrect to talk about or claim to be a Christian?

Comment

Are you trying to claim that it is politically incorrect to talk about or claim to be a Christian?
                            That's not what the original quote said.

"It has become politically incorrect to talk about the importance of [Christian Faith]."
                            --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

That's not what the original quote said.

"It has become politically incorrect to talk about the importance of [Christian Faith]."
                              ... and you actually believe that, or were you just saying it in an ironic manner?

Comment

Pretty much. Conservatives has just as many nuts as the Liberals do - and the nuts on both sides are normally the loudest and with the most cameras.
                                Which is what made them the dominant voices, here, and on the rest of Planet Earth.
                                Kinda sucks, don't it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X