Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firearms safety opinions please!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
    No, that is your assumption. I am just pointing out the danger of the other irresponsible party when your kids were not taught about gun safety because you chose not to have them in your house.
    Ron, if you and your children come from a gun free home what is there to teach other than the Easter Bunny isn't real. Should they be taught how to right a canoe when we don't have one?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

    you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

    Comment


    • #62
      One of the problem I have with this case is the number of unattended, loaded firearms, and the caliber. A 7 mm rifle is not a home defense weapon.
      I have little tolerance for people who carelessly disregard the safety of others, especially when those others are children.
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
        One of the problem I have with this case is the number of unattended, loaded firearms, and the caliber. A 7 mm rifle is not a home defense weapon.
        I have little tolerance for people who carelessly disregard the safety of others, especially when those others are children.
        Yes it is. I can drive nails with with my 7.65x 53.
        Credo quia absurdum.


        Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          Yes it is. I can drive nails with with my 7.65x 53.
          No it's not. Much to powerful a weapon than needed for home defense. You endanger to many of your neighbors with such a round that can punch a round through a house and out the other side.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

          Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

          you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            No it's not. Much to powerful a weapon than needed for home defense. You endanger to many of your neighbors with such a round that can punch a round through a house and out the other side.
            As I understand it the 7 mm in this case was a deer rifle.
            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              As I understand it the 7 mm in this case was a deer rifle.
              7mm remains a 7mm. Home defense is about the last thing it is good for.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

              Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

              you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

              Comment


              • #67
                A little more detailed report


                POCATELLO, Idaho -- Prosecutors are charging Rusty and Ashlee Lish with one count each of misdemeanor injury to a child for the accidental shooting death of 5-year-old Noelle Shawver that happened nine months ago.

                Shawver died on July 30th after being accidentally shot in the chest by another 5-year-old in the Lishes' Chubbuck home.

                According to police reports, Noelle Shawver was playing with a 5-year-old boy in the master bedroom.

                Court records say people in the home heard the gun go off and when they went into the room, they found Shawver with gunshot wound to the chest.

                Noelle Aston Shawver was taken to Portneuf Medical Center where she died from the wound.

                Investigators say inside the master bedroom they found the .22 caliber rifle involved in the shooting, a loaded 12 gauge shotgun with a round in the chamber, a loaded 7 millimeter rifle and a loaded Glock handgun, all unsecured and within reach of the children.

                Wednesday, Rusty and Ashlee Lish made their first appearance in court to hear the charges against them.

                It was a was somber mood in the courtroom, both Rusty and Ashlee were visibly distraught as they entered "not guilty" pleas.

                They didn't have anything to say about Wednesday's charges as they walked out of the courtroom.

                "We have no comment," said their attorney.

                "It took some time to come up with what we think is an appropriate response to what happened," said Bannock County Prosecutor Stephen Herzog.

                Herzog said it's been a long process to charge the Lishes because children were involved in the shooting and not the adults, and that the parents should be held accountable for the alleged negligence.

                "Even though the adults weren't actors they provided the setting that allowed this young boy to go in and point the gun and pull the trigger," said Herzog. "It's a horrible tragedy."

                Herzog says he hopes this case brings awareness to gun safety.

                "The Lishes are going to be in a position where hopefully they can do some good and increase public awareness about firearms in the home and overall the community can get some benefit from it," said Herzog.

                The couple is due back in court on May 21. The misdemeanor charges carry a maximum of $1,000 fine and/or six months in jail.
                Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                  As I understand it the 7 mm in this case was a deer rifle.
                  Well some of us live in rural places where there's no possible los to a neighbors house.

                  But I wouldn't use it for home defense. I'd use a AA-12 instead...

                  Just because I'm being silly...



                  Zero recoil and a fully automatic 12 gauge shotgun.



                  Btw throw the book at these asshats. What they did was criminally stupid. Lock your guns up...

                  Also keep this fool from your guns...
                  Last edited by Bwaha; 02 May 15, 16:36.
                  Credo quia absurdum.


                  Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    Ron, if you and your children come from a gun free home what is there to teach other than the Easter Bunny isn't real. Should they be taught how to right a canoe when we don't have one?
                    That is why there are victims when they find a loaded one in some careless person's home, or one tossed in the bushes by some fleeing criminal.
                    “Breaking News,”

                    “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I find nothing humorous about the case
                      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        I don't see where anybody else does.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Now in a different case locally, a man commits armed robbery after which he tossed his hand gun into some bushes.
                          A child found the weapon and now he faces additional charges for child endangerment...
                          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                            Now in a different case locally, a man commits armed robbery after which he tossed his hand gun into some bushes.
                            A child found the weapon and now he faces additional charges for child endangerment...
                            And, the difference in what happens when a child finds that gun is, will he, she, know enough not to touch it and tell an adult, or will someone get hurt by playing with it?
                            “Breaking News,”

                            “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                              And, the difference in what happens when a child finds that gun is, will he, she, know enough not to touch it and tell an adult, or will someone get hurt by playing with it?
                              In this case the young person knew to inform an adult. Training is the key. Too bad the parents of the young boy in the OP didn't have the proper safety training.
                              Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                              Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                                In this case the young person knew to inform an adult. Training is the key. Too bad the parents of the young boy in the OP didn't have the proper safety training.
                                Regarding the OP case, it isn't a matter of training.

                                It is a lack of common sense.
                                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X