Lake Meade at record low, and it's not even summer yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Meade at record low, and it's not even summer yet

We have had discussions before about the drought in Calif. and I know there are a lot of important issues going on, and some may not believe this one of the crucial issues of the day.
    Lake Meade supplies water to Nevada, Arizona, California, and Mexico. It collects water from Wyoming, Colorado and Utah, this water drives turbines that supplies power for three states.
    The low level of water shows just how little snow pack the Rocky Mountains has been for the past five years, compounded by the low snow pack in California, Idaho, Washington and Oregon, the western states are not just facing the possibility of water rationing, but an historic fire season, brown outs and record low crop production, as well as a cultural change in the way we use water.
    My prediction,
    If there is no change in weather patterns within the next two years, say bye bye to the farming industry in California and Arizona, strict water restrictions will curb construction and recreational water use. The failure of the skiing industry, and lights out for Las Vegas. All the casualties of a coming water war.
    Let's hope I am wrong as trillions of dollars and the the dreams of millions of people are drying up..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lak...ver/ar-BBiN9Dw
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Yep, a bunch of people have had their wells go dry out here. And they're forced to get water trucked in.

It really doesn't look good. We need to find out what's causing the heat zone off the coast.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Only California is royally screwed in this drought. The other Western States are doing reasonably well and will weather it.

Maybe God is trying to tell California something....

Comment

Currently, all the dams, except Glen Canyon, on the Colorado are used for peaking power production. The low water level on Lake Mead will soon place major restriction on that. Given that Obama's EPA wants to shut down coal fired power plants, Four Corners generates much of the base load for LA, Las Vegas, and surrounding area, the rolling blackouts will become common place. Mohave Generating Station is already shut down along with some of the Four Corners plants.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
          We have had discussions before about the drought in Calif. and I know there are a lot of important issues going on, and some may not believe this one of the crucial issues of the day.
          Lake Meade supplies water to Nevada, Arizona, California, and Mexico. It collects water from Wyoming, Colorado and Utah, this water drives turbines that supplies power for three states.
          The low level of water shows just how little snow pack the Rocky Mountains has been for the past five years, compounded by the low snow pack in California, Idaho, Washington and Oregon, the western states are not just facing the possibility of water rationing, but an historic fire season, brown outs and record low crop production, as well as a cultural change in the way we use water.
          My prediction,
          If there is no change in weather patterns within the next two years, say bye bye to the farming industry in California and Arizona, strict water restrictions will curb construction and recreational water use. The failure of the skiing industry, and lights out for Las Vegas. All the casualties of a coming water war.
          Let's hope I am wrong as trillions of dollars and the the dreams of millions of people are drying up..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lak...ver/ar-BBiN9Dw
          This will be crucial, because the states that supply the water also need it themselves, and control it in the first place.

Throughout history, great civilizations have vanished due to drought. Time for reality to take charge. We don't need lawn sprinklers, swimming pools, golf courses and all of the other wasteful and foolish uses for our water- we need the water to live.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            It really doesn't look good. We need to find out what's causing the heat zone off the coast.
            Global warming, obviously.

Of course, covering the entire LA basin and related areas in concrete and asphalt and putting in lots of reflective glass certainly won't have an impact. No to mention millions of climate control units pouring warm to hot air upwards.

We really need to take advantage of modern communications and quit seeing how many people we can pack into a square mile.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Nah I was reading a article about a zone where the ocean is much warmer than usual. This creates a high pressure which keeps the rain and snow to the north.

Not the one I was reading, but still it explains it...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...a-drought.html
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Then the article got it wrong, because the rain and the snow is all the way down here in Colorado, which isn't "north" on anybody's map.

And that doesn't change anything I said about the need to get rid of wasteful uses of water, like grassy golf courses in the desert.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Interestingly, Arizona is in the best shape of the states that draw on Lake Mead for water. Arizona is the only Western state, other than Washington, that is predicted not to face severe drought conditions in the next few years.
                  As it has been said... Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance....

Comment

This thread needs a graph...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      Only California is royally screwed in this drought. The other Western States are doing reasonably well and will weather it.

Maybe God is trying to tell California something....
                      Actually, as a born-again Christian who believes in the Bible, God does occasionally used the nature to punish Israel, causing famines and droughts. So it's reasonably possible that God is judging California and other states in different ways for various sins such as approving same-sex marriages (really just one of many sins).

Or it could be a simple case of nature rearing its ugly head, nothing to do with God's judgment. Not everything in the world is caused by God's divine judgments, seeing how this creation is already cursed because of sin and death entering the world.
                      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                        Nah I was reading a article about a zone where the ocean is much warmer than usual. This creates a high pressure which keeps the rain and snow to the north.

Not the one I was reading, but still it explains it...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...a-drought.html
                        Don't you know we can't talk about weather without being called an environmental alarmist?
                        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                          Don't you know we can't talk about weather without being called an environmental alarmist?

Meh, I imagine I get called all sorts of stuff. Especially when I dis fox...

Anyway my thoughts are that China is the primary suspect if I was going to make any guesses...

Due to pollution...
                          Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Here's the outlook:

Comment

TA that forecast was from 2012

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X