TWo Dallas officers cleared by Grand Jury after shooting incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWo Dallas officers cleared by Grand Jury after shooting incident

What is interesting about this specific case is that DPD released the body cam footage of the incident. Besides showing the terrible speed at which such events occur, it also demonstrates the limitations of current body cam technology, and the tendency of body cams to not play well with arm movement.

In this case, a bipolar male produced a screwdriver (which can be punched through Kevlar or a body pretty effectively) in close proximity to an officer.

Watch the video-the shooting is in the first couple minutes.

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sho...d-in-fatal-OIS
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

How do you feel about a gun camera? It runs when the gun trigger is touched.

Just a product development idea...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

When its unholstered would be better.
      Wack tac mac hey.
      Regards.
      Grishnak.

Comment

Problem. ....how much weight would it add. And how would it be mounted? Both could seriously affect my ability to draw and fire.

I don't run a light on my primary weapon because it can seriously affect balance and weight and it's just not all that great as an illumination tool.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          How do you feel about a gun camera? It runs when the gun trigger is touched.

Just a product development idea...
          Actually, Dallas PD tested those extensively, did an excellent paper on them.

Basically they're worthless. For example, in this situation the film would start as the weapon was coming to bear on the suspect-zero input on the events leading up to the incident.

Also, as you can see from the video, motion and small camera apertures do not make for good viewing conditions.

My agency discovered that some years ago when we got TASERcams. All you get is a lot of blurs due to movement.

What we need is a system built into a ball cap so the arms don't get in the way and the interview or bladed stance doesn't turn the camera away.

But with the media hyping body cams (with zero knowledge, understanding, or integrity) the taxpayers are going to get gouged for poorly -thought-out first generation technology. Note one officer's body cam failed in this incident, and the sound quality at the lower registers is terrible.

I've often wondered if L-3 and some of the other big players having been slipping a few bucks to various journalists. TASER's stock has done extremely well since their body cams hit the market.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I've seen some experimentation with shoulder cams and cameras attached to glasses. Right now they're just too bulky for the purpose.
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
              I've seen some experimentation with shoulder cams and cameras attached to glasses. Right now they're just too bulky for the purpose.
              Yeah, the glasses are good, but if the officer wears glasses its a problem, and glasses often get knocked off in a struggle-I've had numerous pairs of sunglasses broken that way.

The military has had a lot of success with helmet cams, and our tac team has had great results, but wearing a helmet on patrol would raise a hue and cry, and be unpopular with the troops.

The technology is coming, but its not here yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Yeah, the glasses are good, but if the officer wears glasses its a problem, and glasses often get knocked off in a struggle-I've had numerous pairs of sunglasses broken that way.
                Seems to me that the ball cap would also to be knocked off during foot chase and struggle.

The military has had a lot of success with helmet cams, and our tac team has had great results, but wearing a helmet on patrol would raise a hue and cry, and be unpopular with the troops.
                Wearing a helmet on regular would also look too intimidating and/or threatening to the general public. Way too militant looking unless you make it look so non-threatening that it would be embarrassing to wear.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                  Seems to me that the ball cap would also to be knocked off during foot chase and struggle.

Wearing a helmet on regular would also look too intimidating and/or threatening to the general public. Way too militant looking unless you make it look so non-threatening that it would be embarrassing to wear.
                  Hi Sal

Frankly people who find a helmet intimidating but not a gun, have some serious issues.

Regards

Andy H
                  "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                    Hi Sal

Frankly people who find a helmet intimidating but not a gun, have some serious issues.

Regards

Andy H
                    Its not a helmet or a gun. It would be a helmet and the gun that people might find intimidating.
                    I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                    --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Go pros?
                      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

A camera on the gun itself likely would work poorly. You have to deal with muzzle flash, recoil, movement of the weapon, etc.

In all likelihood it would probably give a very iffy picture of what is being fired at and no context to the larger situation the officer is in whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          A camera on the gun itself likely would work poorly. You have to deal with muzzle flash, recoil, movement of the weapon, etc.

In all likelihood it would probably give a very iffy picture of what is being fired at and no context to the larger situation the officer is in whatsoever.
                          Yeah, that's what Dallas learned when they tested the concept. Too much motion for too small a camera aperture didn't help. Plus officer are trained to keep the muzzle down until things get critical.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X