Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does these military artifacts belong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does these military artifacts belong?

Old Sacramento’s California State Military Museum closed it's doors for good in March 2015. Now there is a battle for the artifacts. Who do you think they belong to?

California military museum closes amid disputes

Mounting tension between the two parties reached a tipping point last fall when the Military Department sued the foundation for claiming to own approximately 90 percent of the artifacts and for interfering with a state audit. In court documents, the California State Military Museum Foundation argues that a majority of artifacts were donated to the foundation and that its employees never prevented an inspection.
    The ongoing litigation, in the courts since September, stems from a larger disagreement about who should control the museum. For years, state law gave the nonprofit authority to operate the museum even as savings from the Military Department and a budget appropriation made up a large part of its funding.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/his...le2601978.html
    Last edited by Persephone; 23 Apr 15, 10:07.
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

After reading the article, I would think that the items belong to the Military Department. The California State Military Museum Foundation were merely operating the museum for the military. Therefore, the artifacts rightfully belongs to the military. Besides, the military is better suited to possess them.

Just my opinion on it.

Comment

Just who or what is the Military Department?
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        Just who or what is the Military Department?

There are five(5) distinct components to the California Military Department according to CA Military & Veteran's Code § 51:
        "The Military Department includes the office of the Adjutant General, the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, the California Cadet Corps, and the Naval Militia."
        "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Sure looks like the Military Dept. But, practically, ugh, all that bureaucracy to wade through on who donated what, to whom, and when. That's a bit of work. The politics there sound really nasty; someone has a grinder or two out.

Comment

the California State Military Museum Foundation argues that a majority of artifacts were donated to the foundation and that its employees never prevented an inspection.
            It better have its "artifacts" properly accessioned or they're toast. It is all about the paper trail. They must have every single "donation" properly cataloged with who the donors were and if the donation was permanent or a loan. Too many small museums fore go proper museum procedures and this is what happens.

By the by. Much of what I see in this pics would not qualify as actual "artifacts." Most museums would not accept such items as they are not "real."

Comment

Another state that doesn't hate the military...?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyan67 View Post
                It better have its "artifacts" properly accessioned or they're toast. It is all about the paper trail. They must have every single "donation" properly cataloged with who the donors were and if the donation was permanent or a loan. Too many small museums fore go proper museum procedures and this is what happens.
                Tell me about it. Several of us are still working on the nightmare of photographing and cataloging tens of thousands of items from the museum I volunteer at. Some have complete paperwork of the donors. Others, I have no idea where they came from.

Originally posted by Cyan67 View Post
                By the by. Much of what I see in this pics would not qualify as actual "artifacts." Most museums would not accept such items as they are not "real."
                I also see a lot of items that fit that classification. We also have such items at the museum I volunteer my time for. They are still important as they are being used to make up an educational displays of history. Therefore, we will accept them as a donation. Not unusual to make use of reproductions where the actual artifact is unavailable due to the rarity of the item or because of the harassment of the ATF as a result of Clinton and Obama's war on the Second Amendment.

Real? Or reproduction? Does it matter if it teaches us history when a real one has been lost to time?
                Last edited by SRV Ron; 24 Apr 15, 06:34.
                “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X