Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do no knock warrants actually put police at greater risk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Thought

Hey AJ, I had a funny thought and it is against my code of honor to miss a chance to you a hard time when these thoughts arrive.

Every time we have these discussions you often criticize me of being paranoid, citing that the odds of getting caught up in a police shooting by accident are statistically low and stating that I overreact to things.

This might be true, but the thought occurred to me that we might be in pot calling kettle black territory. As follows:

Whenever I ask whether you really need to assault a suburban living room with enough firepower to conquer all of Canada, you give me the same reason that I give you for me being antsy about tactical teams: there MIGHT be a threat.

Now in both cases we are responding to a threat that is statistically unlikely. It is unlikely that I will be raided by a tactical team that had difficulty understanding MapQuest and it is unlikely that the family of three sitting on the couch are all wielding Kalashnikovs and are prepared to repel boarders. But in both cases we are operating under the concept of "it COULD happen".

Now when it comes to ranking our levels on the paranoia scale there is a noticeable difference in how we react to our pet fears. I respond to the fear of getting shot by a tactical team by posting "I have fears of getting shot by a tactical team" on the internet. You fellas respond to your pet fear by refusing to enter neighborhoods I have walked safely through at midnight while unarmed with nothing less than automatic weapons and light armor. Even when you're going into Mayberry, you load up like it's Fallujah. On the scale of overreaction to potential threat, I think you might take the cake. But hey, who's to say Beaver isn't really a member of MS13? Yes, it's unlikely, but it only has to happen once.

Now I will say I won't blame you for being paranoid. Your profession does put you at higher risk of having a gun drawn on you than mine does, although one time we did have a rather vicious dart gun engagement, and goodness knows your profession is demonized by the media. However I cannot help but realize that we are both using the same logic. I am willing to bet (or would be if betting couldn't get you killed by a tactical team ) that most of the times you kick down somebody's door you are greeted by an onslaught of.....surprised faces. The odds of someone being locked and loaded and determined to shoot it out with you are small. But it MIGHT happen. So be prepared.

So the way I see it we both have case of "what if" anxiety.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Only if the criminals get advanced warning that they're going to be raided.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
        Hey AJ, I had a funny thought and it is against my code of honor to miss a chance to you a hard time when these thoughts arrive.

Every time we have these discussions you often criticize me of being paranoid, citing that the odds of getting caught up in a police shooting by accident are statistically low and stating that I overreact to things.

This might be true, but the thought occurred to me that we might be in pot calling kettle black territory. As follows:

Whenever I ask whether you really need to assault a suburban living room with enough firepower to conquer all of Canada, you give me the same reason that I give you for me being antsy about tactical teams: there MIGHT be a threat.

Now in both cases we are responding to a threat that is statistically unlikely. It is unlikely that I will be raided by a tactical team that had difficulty understanding MapQuest and it is unlikely that the family of three sitting on the couch are all wielding Kalashnikovs and are prepared to repel boarders. But in both cases we are operating under the concept of "it COULD happen".

Now when it comes to ranking our levels on the paranoia scale there is a noticeable difference in how we react to our pet fears. I respond to the fear of getting shot by a tactical team by posting "I have fears of getting shot by a tactical team" on the internet. You fellas respond to your pet fear by refusing to enter neighborhoods I have walked safely through at midnight while unarmed with nothing less than automatic weapons and light armor. Even when you're going into Mayberry, you load up like it's Fallujah. On the scale of overreaction to potential threat, I think you might take the cake. But hey, who's to say Beaver isn't really a member of MS13? Yes, it's unlikely, but it only has to happen once.

Now I will say I won't blame you for being paranoid. Your profession does put you at higher risk of having a gun drawn on you than mine does, although one time we did have a rather vicious dart gun engagement, and goodness knows your profession is demonized by the media. However I cannot help but realize that we are both using the same logic. I am willing to bet (or would be if betting couldn't get you killed by a tactical team ) that most of the times you kick down somebody's door you are greeted by an onslaught of.....surprised faces. The odds of someone being locked and loaded and determined to shoot it out with you are small. But it MIGHT happen. So be prepared.

So the way I see it we both have case of "what if" anxiety.
        Not at all. The odds of you getting hit by a no-knock warrant are directly proportional to your involvement in high-end felonies, with a fraction of a percentage thrown on top of that. Assuming you are not a criminal, you have a better chance of being struck by lightning.

Whereas I've been shot at on two occasions while executing warrants as part of a team.

Your feeling is paranoia. Mine is a realistic expectation based upon personal experience.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X