Hacking Into Your Homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking Into Your Homes

Forget doors and windows, the easiest way for a crook to break into your home may be through the stainless steel refrigerator in your kitchen, or the big screen TV in the living room.

Modern appliances are increasingly connected to the Internet, and each presents a potential path for savvy hackers to enter your home virtually and steal your identity, bank and credit card information and any other personal information they can use to line their pockets and leave you in the lurch, experts warn. The problem, they say, is that the technology that makes your house smarter - allowing communication between appliances, and even remote operation of everyday devices linked to home networks - has increased faster than the security measures needed to make it safe.
    http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/04/...ensitive-info/
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Only, if you are stupid enough to buy so called smart appliances and connect them to the Internet via Wi-Fi or equivalent devices and leave your Internet connected 24-7.

However;

If you have a cell phone, smart phone, tablet, gaming console, cable set top box, etc... someone can already access what you are doing without your knowledge. Your laptop camera and mike spying on you while you are using it. Your set top box reporting everything that you watch and when. Gaming consoles monitoring how much you use them and what you or your kids play with. Your cell phone spying on you with its built in camera and mike even when it is plugged into the charger in your bedroom. And, of course, everything you do on line, all postings, all e-mail sent, even every keystroke on the keyboard, all accessable by the NSA and hackers worldwide.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Camera's? Here's a fix for that:

Microphones?

Hand them a little white noise:

Let them listen to endless droning...

And for that person on the move who likes their privacy:

A faraday bag keeps all unwanted signals out...

Comment

The laptop has a piece of that over the camera lens. Radio in the background takes care of the mike. Cell phone in a pocket where the camera is useless and it is the most basic one available. None of this fancy apps, internet, and other ways to snoop built in.

The Faraday Cage needs to be able to block all radio signals, including your ability to receive incoming calls, if it is to do any good at blocking your location. Otherwise, remove the battery from the phone. Shutting it off is not good enough.

BTW, unless you physically cut the power to your shut down computer, it can be remotely started up via the Internet. And, all new cars and trucks are coming out with black boxes with GPS recording and reporting features.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of electronic eavesdropping and hacking.

The point here is, I think, that people are more or less aware of the problems with laptops and cellphones and such, but who suspects their refrigerator? But if it's fear of government or hacker intrusion you seek, consider the Smart Home. The whole damned house is hooked up to the 'net.

BTW - I don't have a camera on my monitor, my cellphone travels facing inwards in its holster which blocks the camera, and half the time I don't remember to bring it with me because I rarely call anyone on it. Nowadays, it's not paranoia - it's just an appreciation of the world around me.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

None of my appliances are connected to the internet, including the television.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X