Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religious Freedom Acts results in real Christians acting like Christians

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Religious Freedom Acts results in real Christians acting like Christians

    This Religious Freedom thing is going to get interesting.
    Joan Cheever said police infringed her religious freedom when they fined her $2,000 for feeding the homeless in San Antonio.

    As she'd done every Tuesday for years, Cheever was giving out free meals from her food truck in a public park last week when police rolled up and started writing a ticket. Right away, she told the officers they were burdening her free exercise of religion, according to an on-the-scene report from Texas Public Radio. Cheever pointed to the federal and state Religious Freedom Restoration Acts -- the same kinds of laws that caused massive controversy in Indiana and Arkansas last month over concerns they would allow religious business owners to discriminate against the LGBT community.

    "One of the police officers said, 'Ma'am if you want to pray, go to church,'" Cheever told the local NBC affiliate last week. "And I said, 'This is how I pray, when I cook this food and deliver it to the people who are less fortunate.'"
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...p_ref=politics
    Homo homini lupus

  • #2
    Christians acting like Christians that would be very refreshing. Love thy neighbor as you love your self.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

    you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Christians acting like Christians that would be very refreshing. Love thy neighbor as you love your self.
      But what if you are filled with self loathing?

      Comment


      • #4
        When did charity become a crime in America? Would the same police have ticketed a Muslim handing out falafels?
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          Christians acting like Christians that would be very refreshing. Love thy neighbor as you love your self.
          It's not as rare as they would have you believe, but quiet, selfless acts of service do less to drive news ratings than controversial and divisive statements and actions.

          So she's operating a food truck without permits, or she doesn't have special permits to feed the homeless? If the former, she does need to comply with the law regarding health codes, no matter how generous the act. If the latter, it seems like a lot of jumping through hoops if she already had the normal food truck clearance/permits.
          Last edited by jdkeyes1; 17 Apr 15, 11:09.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]When did charity become a crime in America?
            As far as I remember all this health code BS started in the 80s here in Dallas over Jerry Falwell's bunch handing out sandwiches to the homeless, as far as I am concerned it was just a spanking handed out to the hated religious right, nothing more.
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              When did charity become a crime in America? Would the same police have ticketed a Muslim handing out falafels?
              Was he black???
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

              Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

              you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jdkeyes1 View Post
                It's not as rare as they would have you believe, but quiet, selfless acts of service do less to drive news ratings than controversial and divisive statements and actions.

                So she's operating a food truck without permits, or she doesn't have special permits to feed the homeless? If the former, she does need to comply with the law regarding health codes, no matter how generous the act. If the latter, it seems like a lot of jumping through hoops if she already had the normal food truck clearance/permits.
                That the lady got any sort of a fine is a shame. We need many more like her.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                  As far as I remember all this health code BS started in the 80s here in Dallas over Jerry Falwell's bunch handing out sandwiches to the homeless, as far as I am concerned it was just a spanking handed out to the hated religious right, nothing more.
                  I cannot believe that would have been a reason in TX.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                  Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                  you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                    This Religious Freedom thing is going to get interesting.

                    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...p_ref=politics
                    Way to go, Ms. Cheever.

                    Somebody should have told that crooked cop that it is legal to pray outside of a church as well.

                    Galatians 5: 22-23 to be amended:

                    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law except in certain parts of America..

                    It surprises me that this happened in Texas, though. I would have guessed somewhere in New England.
                    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      I cannot believe that would have been a reason in TX.
                      Don't kid yourself John, Dallas is the second most liberal city in Texas, only surpassed by Austin, as a matter of fact most large cities in Texas tend to lean left, I kid you not!
                      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        That the lady got any sort of a fine is a shame. We need many more like her.
                        Amen to that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                          Way to go, Ms. Cheever.

                          Somebody should have told that crooked cop that it is legal to pray outside of a church as well.

                          Galatians 5: 22-23 to be amended:

                          But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law except in certain parts of America..

                          It surprises me that this happened in Texas, though. I would have guessed somewhere in New England.
                          Really??? The home of the Puritans and Quakers?
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                          Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                          you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            Was he black???
                            Doesn't matter, HPJ and isn't relevant.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Doesn't matter, HPJ and isn't relevant.
                              And neither was your comment about Muslims.
                              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X