How Obama Abandoned Democracy in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Obama Abandoned Democracy in Iraq

Importing roles of turf so that the ambassador could play lacrosse....

Lifting the lid on behind the scenes intrigues in Baghdad’s heavily guarded “Green Zone”, Ms Sky writes: “It was clear that Hill, though a career diplomat, lacked regional experience and was miscast in the role in Baghdad. In fact, he had not wanted the job, but Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had persuaded him to take it; she admitted as much to General Odierno, he told me, when he met her in early 2010 in Washington to discuss the dysfunction at the embassy.”

She adds that “in his staff meetings, Hill made clear how much he disliked Iraq and Iraqis”. His main priority, she said, was getting the embassy to look like a “normal” US mission, which included importing rolls of turf “on which the ambassador could play lacrosse”.

Worse was to come when Mr Biden visited Baghdad. He made clear his impatience when Ms Sky tried to explain about Iraq’s myriad political landscape of secularists, Islamists, and moderates who wanted to move beyond sectarianism. Mr Biden “could not fathom this”, she said, telling her: “My grandfather was Irish and hated the British. It’s like in the Balkans. They all grow up hating each other.”

He repeated the simplistic observation at a meeting with the Iraqiya bloc, a religiously mixed, secular movement, only to be embarrassed when one of the Iraqi politicians told him that he had a British passport.

Ms Sky makes her accusations in an article adapted from her book in Politico magazine, titled “How Obama Abandoned Democracy in Iraq”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-of-Iraq.html
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Democracy was never suited to Iraq in the first place - something BoBo was totally unable to comprehend.

Iraq has never been a democracy, doesn't know what to do with a democracy and doesn't want it. It's a Western form of government totally unsuited to a Muslim nation.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Well, Obama couldn't resurrect Saddam Hussein so he got stuck with a Religious War and that is turning worse.

I think just let them kill each other and Let God Sort Them Out as the old saying goes.

We done broke it and I don't think anyone can put it back together again.
      Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Democracy was never suited to Iraq in the first place - something BoBo was totally unable to comprehend.

Iraq has never been a democracy, doesn't know what to do with a democracy and doesn't want it. It's a Western form of government totally unsuited to a Muslim nation.
        Your BoBo wasn't in office when we went into Iraq or have you forgotten that small point.?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
          Well, Obama couldn't resurrect Saddam Hussein so he got stuck with a Religious War and that is turning worse.
          The surge actually succeeded, stability was coming to Iraq.....if you believe what this person says:

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Barack Obama said the surge of American forces in Iraq has ``succeeded beyond our wildest dreams,'' though Iraqis still haven't done enough to take responsibility for their country.

``The surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,''

Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, said in a recorded interview broadcast tonight on Fox News's ``The O'Reilly Factor'' program.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aM9XOyqf06lI

What President Obama did was lose the aftermath because he makes promises that someone in a leadership position should not make.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            Your BoBo wasn't in office when we went into Iraq or have you forgotten that small point.?
            Itr's not my memory that bad, but yours. Bush declared the Iraqi war "won", but BoBo's been in there for the past seven years still trying to make democracy work in Iraq, or have you forgotten that?

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
              The surge actually succeeded, stability was coming to Iraq.....if you believe what this person says:

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- Barack Obama said the surge of American forces in Iraq has ``succeeded beyond our wildest dreams,'' though Iraqis still haven't done enough to take responsibility for their country.

``The surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,''

Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, said in a recorded interview broadcast tonight on Fox News's ``The O'Reilly Factor'' program.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aM9XOyqf06lI

If you believe anything the Kenyan Klown says, you need help...desperately.

Comment

"I think it is vitally important for a President to know when to use military force. I think it is also very important for him to know when not to commit U.S. military force. And it’s my view that the President got it right both times, that it would have been a mistake for us to get bogged down in the quagmire inside Iraq."

Not only that, but in a 2009 interview on Face the Nation he bragged about the SOFA agreement Bush had signed with the Iraqi government to have all U.S. troops out of Iraq by 2011 as evidence of “success” in the country. Yet now he’s trying to blame the lack of U.S. forces in Iraq, which has allowed these insurgents to seize control of parts of the country, on President Obama.

blaming O, just like so many posters here.

Comment

Blame President Bush for taking too long to come up with the Surge and stopping the quagmire, yes.

Blame President Obama for pulling us out before the country was stable. yes.

While his push to get us out contrary to what his commanders were telling him was probably due to him wanting a 'win' for the upcoming election cycle, what it really did was give a lose for the next President to inherit.
                  Last edited by Nichols; 18 Apr 15, 08:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post

I think just let them kill each other and Let God Sort Them Out as the old saying goes.

We done broke it and I don't think anyone can put it back together again.
                    Obama caused the current mess in Iraq by not listening to the US generals who told him that an American stay-behind force was necessary.

Obama is both arrogant and dumber than a bag full of hammers...

Sincerely,
                    M
                    We are not now that strength which in old days
                    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                      Blame President Bush for taking too long to come up with the Surge and stopping the quagmire, yes.

Blame President Obama for pulling us out before the country was stable. yes.

While his push to get us out contrary to what his commanders were telling him was probably due to him wanting a 'win' for the upcoming election cycle, what it really did was give a lose for the next President to inherit.
                      Those quotes were from GWs VICE President.

Comment

Those quotes were from GWs VICE President.
                        John, you didn't supply a link to the article so I wasn't sure of the context or who said it. That is why I didn't quote that portion of your post.

My reply was only to what I quoted:

Comment

If Obama stayed the same people would be complaining that Obama is sending American boys to die for land that does not love them and you would all be screaming for him to pull out.
                          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

This is actually false and an uninformed post. There have been many democracies and republics outside of Westerners. Many Asian nations/tribes were republics or even democracies. India had many of both. It isn't just a Western thing.
                            First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                              If Obama stayed the same people would be complaining that Obama is sending American boys to die for land that does not love them and you would all be screaming for him to pull out.
                              There is always some cross over, but the people who would be screaming the most were those of his own party which has a large pacifist contingent. There is no question, however, that he screwed the pooch in pulling out all the troops and allowing Malaki screw up even more than he probably would have.

What people miss is that Iraq was an actual victory, and still remains so, though more tarnished than it needed to be, but elections, while not perfect, are still democratic, and most of Iraq is actually at peace. It was never going to be Utopia, and we were never going to be able to keep La Ravanche from occurring, but our presence (which brought a lot of diplomatic, if not Politically Correct, muscle) may well have moderated it. It is actually doing so currently. Abadi has put the brakes on some of the worse trouble makers in the (Iranian backed Militias) just to get some U.S. air support. It seems somebody is learning in this Administration.

The trouble on our side is that we tend to have this "perfection or bust" mentality, which is really self defeating IMHO.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X