Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/%e2...ren/ar-AAaWrUm

Meanwhile other children are actually being abused while these for brains waste time, money, and resources on a non issue.

These CPS workers need to be shuffled out with people who have the personal initiative to tackle actual cases instead of sitting on their lard based asses and sniping at normal parents.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

I'm confused: besides saddling two of the kids with rather strange first names and ending up with the one in the middle with a different last name, what's the offense?

If a six-year-old was wandering around by itself I would take note, but 9 & 10 years olds? After dark, sure, but that doesn't appear to be an issue.

This makes no sense.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

There are some bureaucrats and politicians behind that story needing a good beat down to make them examples to the rest of what happens when you are stupid.

Comment

Check the wiring.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

She looks pretty "free range" herself!
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I was born in 1950, we just called it living back then. Too many laws today, kids can't even be kids.
            My dads idea of watching us was to tell us we could only come inside to get water or use the bathroom, at lunch time, or to take a nap.
            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              I was born in 1950, we just called it living back then. Too many laws today, kids can't even be kids.
              My dads idea of watching us was to tell us we could only come inside to get water or use the bathroom, at lunch time, or to take a nap.
              Hey! A fellow geezer! Same birth year. I know many of the members will just face palm us, but I'm going to do it anyway.
              I was a country mouse. 2 miles off the pavement to the ranch, another 2 miles to the closest kids our age. BB gun by 7, and according to today's standard, abandoned at the same time. During the summer, as an instant, we would be forced to get up after sunrise, do chores, and be left alone to our own pursuits.
              Many times this would include, but not be limited too: using hand tools in a 50 year old barn, swinging on a rope in the same barn, catching frogs in a swamp that nasty creatures inhabited,
              riding bikes down that gravel road to play with said neighbors, riding bareback over the fields to do the same. There's more but I think everybody gets the idea. After a certain age, my parents simply wanted to know where I would be and what time I would be back.
              Short story, both our parents would have been arrested, we would have been raised by CPS. Different world, different time, people hurting children happened at that time, but it didn't rule our lives. Enough nostalgia.
              My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

I think the parents in Maryland upset someone by publicizing the first incident. Now the cops and the child protection agency is on their case just for revenge/respect. Or some old busybody is making trouble.

I was born in 1941. I walked to school by myself starting when I was in kindergarten until I was in 3rd grade when we moved to a place where we had to ride buses. We kids then roamed the neighborhood we lived in in groups.

My kids roamed the neighborhood and the fields and woods in back of the subdivision from the time they were 7 or 8 until they started driving. My son enjoyed that lifestyle so much for himself he went looking for a similar town to move to when his kids got big enough to go to school. They roamed all over on their bikes and little electric scooter until now when the oldest is driving. They have in the past couple of years taken the commuter train into Boston on their own to participate in summer sports classes.

The grand-daughters have been doing public transportation on their own in Chicago to go back and forth to school, both buses and trains since they were 12 and 8. The younger is now 12 and during a family crisis she was going totally on her own. The oldest is now getting ready to go off to college and is going to an urban college in another city. She is looking forward to roaming the city on its train system. She told me recently that she could not imagine herself going to a college in the cornfields. That she is a city girl.

I see nothing wrong with kids having to get around on their own from around 8 or so. I think it makes them independent and streetwise.

There are kids in our neighborhood that roam around on their own and then there are some poor kids whose parents or grandparents accompany them to the school-bus stop in the morning and pick them up in the evening. I sort of feel sorry for them and think they are being helicoptered.

Statistically, stranger crime against children is down radically. They are in far more danger from their own relatives and family friends.
                Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                  Hey! A fellow geezer! Same birth year. I know many of the members will just face palm us, but I'm going to do it anyway.
                  I was a country mouse. 2 miles off the pavement to the ranch, another 2 miles to the closest kids our age. BB gun by 7, and according to today's standard, abandoned at the same time. During the summer, as an instant, we would be forced to get up after sunrise, do chores, and be left alone to our own pursuits.
                  Many times this would include, but not be limited too: using hand tools in a 50 year old barn, swinging on a rope in the same barn, catching frogs in a swamp that nasty creatures inhabited,
                  riding bikes down that gravel road to play with said neighbors, riding bareback over the fields to do the same. There's more but I think everybody gets the idea. After a certain age, my parents simply wanted to know where I would be and what time I would be back.
                  Short story, both our parents would have been arrested, we would have been raised by CPS. Different world, different time, people hurting children happened at that time, but it didn't rule our lives. Enough nostalgia.
                  Sounds like we lived parallel lives. I spent most of my summers at my grand dads ranch, killed my first rattlesnake when I was 7 with a hoe! His house was two miles down a dirt road, we worked all morning before it was too hot. We had a tire hanging from a tree for a swing, a private pond for a swimming hole, raised most of our own food. It was 50 miles to the nearest city, it was so dark at night, I remember it vividly.
                  Squirrels and birds fear us and our mighty .22 single shot target master!
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                    Sounds like we lived parallel lives. I spent most of my summers at my grand dads ranch, killed my first rattlesnake when I was 7 with a hoe! His house was two miles down a dirt road, we worked all morning before it was too hot. We had a tire hanging from a tree for a swing, a private pond for a swimming hole, raised most of our own food. It was 50 miles to the nearest city, it was so dark at night, I remember it vividly.
                    Squirrels and birds fear us and our mighty .22 single shot target master!
                    Fun times. For me it was the Chipmunk .22. "If it flies, it dies"!
                    My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
                      Fun times. For me it was the Chipmunk .22. "If it flies, it dies"!

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                        I think the parents in Maryland upset someone by publicizing the first incident. Now the cops and the child protection agency is on their case just for revenge/respect. Or some old busybody is making trouble.

I was born in 1941. I walked to school by myself starting when I was in kindergarten until I was in 3rd grade when we moved to a place where we had to ride buses. We kids then roamed the neighborhood we lived in in groups.

My kids roamed the neighborhood and the fields and woods in back of the subdivision from the time they were 7 or 8 until they started driving. My son enjoyed that lifestyle so much for himself he went looking for a similar town to move to when his kids got big enough to go to school. They roamed all over on their bikes and little electric scooter until now when the oldest is driving. They have in the past couple of years taken the commuter train into Boston on their own to participate in summer sports classes.

The grand-daughters have been doing public transportation on their own in Chicago to go back and forth to school, both buses and trains since they were 12 and 8. The younger is now 12 and during a family crisis she was going totally on her own. The oldest is now getting ready to go off to college and is going to an urban college in another city. She is looking forward to roaming the city on its train system. She told me recently that she could not imagine herself going to a college in the cornfields. That she is a city girl.

I see nothing wrong with kids having to get around on their own from around 8 or so. I think it makes them independent and streetwise.

There are kids in our neighborhood that roam around on their own and then there are some poor kids whose parents or grandparents accompany them to the school-bus stop in the morning and pick them up in the evening. I sort of feel sorry for them and think they are being helicoptered.

Statistically, stranger crime against children is down radically. They are in far more danger from their own relatives and family friends.
                        Excellent post. The city mouse experience of my childhood. To stop some of the angry posters neither of us are promoting putting children at risk.

Comment

I tend to agree with everyone here but I don't remember there being so many sexual predators around when I was a kid. I probably wouldn't let my kid do some of the things I as allowed to do at 9-10 years old.
                          “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
                          --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Savez View Post
                            I tend to agree with everyone here but I don't remember there being so many sexual predators around when I was a kid. I probably wouldn't let my kid do some of the things I as allowed to do at 9-10 years old.
                            The number hasn't changed. In fact, its probably smaller in percentage today than it was back then. What has changed is that such cases make the news, and the investigative process has increased efficiency thousands-fold. Just in the space of my career the investigation & prosecution of predators has become massively more efficient.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

More people, more media, too many lawyer's.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X