Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOP 'likely' Candidates that never pull the trigger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
    The Democrats would love that one. More establishment moderates like McCain & Romney that they can beat.
    That's not what I'm seeing on the internet. Democrats want Republicans to nominate someone like Cruz, Carson or the Donald. What little good will is shown towards the GOP batch of contenders from Progressives is primarily directed towards Kaisch or Paul.
    ´
    “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
      That's not what I'm seeing on the internet. Democrats want Republicans to nominate someone like Cruz, Carson or the Donald. What little good will is shown towards the GOP batch of contenders from Progressives is primarily directed towards Kaisch or Paul.
      Kasich or Paul wont steal votes from Progressives, the same way that Romney & McCain could not steal Progressives from Obama. If you look at the popular vote count you'll see no seismic shifts over the last several elections. Neither the Republicans or Democrats have won by attracting supporters or already heavily leaning independents from the either party.

If Romney & McCain could not win when the GOP establishment, the media and the Democrats were saying that's who they needed to run to win, why should they choose another moderate establishment RINO?

You forget that the last Republican, the last Presidential candidate really, in recent memory to attract significant support from the opposite party, and thus a large % of the popular vote, was Ronald Reagan. He garnered 59% of the popular vote, and carried 49 states. He almost carried all 50, only losing to Mondale by less than 4000 votes in Minnesota, which can be attributed to Nancy demanding that they pull their ad money out of the state. Reagan was the grassroots, anti establishment candidate in 1976 & 1980.

H. W. Bush was elected on Reagan's coattails in 1988, and W. Bush didn't even come close to the kind of support that Reagan did. Contrary to left wing propaganda, the Bushs were establishment Republicans. So the theory that the GOP needs one to win simply does not hold any merit.

So who's the grassroots favorite this year? Who's the next Reagan?

Ted Cruz.
      Last edited by Destroyer25; 03 Nov 15, 20:36.
      A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Yes, but the American electorate was a lot more Whiter in the 1980s. In the past 35 years the Republicans have seen their support among Non-Hispanic Whites grow while Democrats have developed near unanimous support from everyone else. At the same time immigration from Latin America and Asia resulted in an explosion in the Non-White population while the growth rate among Whites decreased.

The reason Obama won in '08 and '12 had nothing to due with Establishment Republicans not being conservative enough. It was all about a changing racial picture in America.

´
        “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
          Yes, but the American electorate was a lot more Whiter in the 1980s. In the past 35 years the Republicans have seen their support among Non-Hispanic Whites grow while Democrats have developed near unanimous support from everyone else. At the same time immigration from Latin America and Asia resulted in an explosion in the Non-White population while the growth rate among Whites decreased.

The reason Obama won in '08 and '12 had nothing to due with Establishment Republicans not being conservative enough. It was all about a changing racial picture in America.

But they don't believe that. There is faith that only a MORE conservative politician will win. And funnily enough, this is probably the last election that such an idea could bear fruit - the GOP is driving down the road to irrelevancy at full speed.

If the GOP loses Texas - a real threat in a generation or two - then they lose the nation. If the GOP continues to blame the non-white males for not voting Republican, rather than examining where they are failing and how to convince others to vote for them, they're going to end up a minority party (again).

Comment

It's disingenuous to make it a race issue rather than the economic issue it is. Hispanic immigrants are general socially conservative Catholics but they're also generally poor, which is often why they left their homes in the first place. Enter the democrats using the oldest populist trick in the book. "See that rich guy he's only rich because he cheated somehow and he responsible fur you begin poor. Vote for me and I'll take his evil money and give it to you." Who could argue with that? Well someone who understands basic economics could but that's surprisingly few people. Throw in a healthy dose of persecuted victim complex with the uninformed lowest common denominator voter as well as the better informed naive and guilty social crusader.
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
              It's disingenuous to make it a race issue rather than the economic issue it is. Hispanic immigrants are general socially conservative Catholics but they're also generally poor, which is often why they left their homes in the first place. Enter the democrats using the oldest populist trick in the book. "See that rich guy he's only rich because he cheated somehow and he responsible fur you begin poor. Vote for me and I'll take his evil money and give it to you." Who could argue with that? Well someone who understands basic economics could but that's surprisingly few people. Throw in a healthy dose of persecuted victim complex with the uninformed lowest common denominator voter as well as the better informed naive and guilty social crusader.
              How does that explain Democratic dominance of the Asian vote? A group that is as wealthy and educated as Whites. Soon they'll surpass Whites! Democrats also receive majority support from the equally wealthy Jews. Are they simply looking for handouts?

Let's face it, embracing racist former-Dixiecrats under the Southern Strategy, along with heated rhetoric around illegal immigration has tarred the Republicans as the 'Party of White People.' I'm still surprised that so many here cannot see this. Hell the RNC even recognized this was a major problem in their 2012 autopsy.

Though as for the whole 'Reagan was the last true Conservative' thing previously mentioned, I'd thought I share this tidbit from an article:

"Ronald Reagan is a Republican hero and role model who was first elected 33 years ago -- meaning no one under the age of 51 today was old enough to vote for Reagan when he first ran for President," it reads. It approvingly quotes columnists Michael Gerson and Pete Wehner, who wrote last month, "It is no wonder that Republican policies can seem stale; they are very nearly identical to those offered up by the Party more than 30 years ago."
              Last edited by Jonathanrex1; 04 Nov 15, 22:10.
              ´

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X