Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

73 year old LEO mistakes pistol for a taser. You know the rest of the story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    Sorry doesn't cut it. Not knowing the difference between his equipment means he shouldn't have been out there. His fellow deputies should be happy they weren't shot. What's next, maybe driving his cruiser through a Dunkin Donuts front door? Sorry, got the gas and brake mixed up!
    Well, I guess being a part time reserve deputy made him feel better than "Welcome to Wal-Mart."
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
      I get that, but let's hope the next time you get pulled over the 73 year old deputy doesn't mistake his Glock for the ticket book.
      My dad was a cop for 30 years, he used his firearm once. And he never mistook his handgun for anything!
      6. Don't get pulled over.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
        6. Don't get pulled over.
        That's hard to avoid if you have a busted tail light i.e. If your black

Comment

Originally posted by History fan View Post
          That's hard to avoid if you have a busted tail light i.e. If your black and have a bench warrant out for your arrest.
          In the interest of being historically correct History Fan, I added the above in red.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
            A 73 year old deputy?
            A reservist, but I still flinched at that, too.

I have heard of at least three cases like this. I'm not a fan of the TASER, but I really do not see how you can mistake the two.

Aside from the fact they have to be on other parts of your belt, the Taser is plastic (not Glock polymer, but PLASTIC). Ours are Canary yellow. The TAZER butt is tiny, thin, and short (no recoil). There's no sights. You have to turn the TAZER on with a lever.

All I can say, which I have said before and will say again, is what kind of stress level training are they conducting? The video's audio makes it clear that the reserve deputy intended to Taze the guy.

Failure to train. You can't just issue the gear and expect it to solve problems by its presence.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
              The only time a police officer should shoot is if someone's shooting at him, or if there's a clear threat to others.
              Maybe in Scotland.

But then, Scots are much more docile.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Maybe in Scotland.

But then, Scots are much more docile.
                You've never been to a Rangers/Celtic match otherwise you wouldn't say that

Comment

what kind of stress level training are they conducting?
                  That is the problem without a doubt. You have probably heard of the stories where Officers were inadvertently trained to pick up brass......
                  "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                    That is the problem without a doubt. You have probably heard of the stories where Officers were inadvertently trained to pick up brass......
                    Yeah-at least that one died out, or at least I hope it has.

I've served on two shooting boards where, when asked why he or she emptied their weapon, the officer stated "I was waiting for the cease fire signal."

A human being will revert to training when under pressure. If they have not been sufficiently trained, they will operate off instinct.

Comment

If they have not been sufficiently trained, they will operate off instinct.
                      I did a muscle memory screw up once. I was short toured in Prague because of promotion. I went back to the school house to become a detachment commander. The school house had just received a shoot don't shoot trailer. Since I was already qualified with the revolver and had stood post many times......I was picked to demonstrate.

I was presented with seven targets at various times and locations. Two of the targets were bad guys. We were trained to double tap followed by a head shot. After I fired my 6th round, instead of getting behind cover, clearing and uploaded......

I assumed a perfect clearing barrel stance. I had the revolver loaded in back in the leather in about 4-5 seconds which was the standard but in the process I presented a perfect target of myself...

Comment

There are thousands of police citizen interactions happening every day where nothing goes wrong, with cameras on every cell phone and body cams, and dash cams, and news copters ever present we have moved into a new age where every interaction may be filmed, a LEO just never knows.
                        I guarantee we will seldom be watching the majority in which nobody is offended, nobody runs away and gets chased by a K-9 or is tased.
                        Nor will we watch the last few seconds of a chase where a group of frustrated officers best the hell out of a suspect with a long record of being a class 1 bad guy.
                        Cops are human, but when they make a mistake, and they will, things can get ugly real fast. It may cost them their life, some times it ends up costing someone else their life, but this is rare.
                        It doesn't help that we have a press that jumps on every story and rides it into the ground. Nancy Grace will most likely run on this for two months.
                        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                        Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Here is the back story on the 73 year old reserve cop

He is a insurance agent!

"What was a “reserve” cop, aging or otherwise, doing with a gun out on the streets?

It’s not all that uncommon. Volunteer reserve officers have become a staple in the Tulsa sheriff’s department, as well as in many other cities, and it’s not unusual for them to be out on assignment, Tulsa County Sheriff’s Major Shannon Clark told the Tulsa World. By trade, they’re bankers, doctors, lawyers, retired cops or even celebrities. They get varying degrees of training and they help the local police, not just by patrolling with them, usually at no cost, but sometimes by bringing their own equipment, including weapons. Some departments request donations in exchange for the positions. The Oakley, Mich., police department asks for $1,200, according to Salon.

“These people drop four or five grand and dress up to look like police,” Donna LaMontaine, president of the Deputy Sheriffs Association of Michigan, told the magazine. “I have a problem with that.”

Still, many reserve officers have been hailed as heroes. A number of them have paid with their lives. Others have taken lives.

Professional police officers are of different minds about the reservists, Doug Wylie wrote in a 2011 article in PoliceOne.

“I believe the ‘part time’ system of policing is absolutely ridiculous,” an unnamed law enforcement official told PoliceOne.com. “The job has changed since walking down the street and spinning your baton. We now encounter more diverse and complicated situations, where we are expected to wear a multitude of hats, and do it perfectly the first time. We contend with more anti-police groups, 24/7 video taping, and more charging and law suit filings then ever before. As such, to do this job without a full salary and full benefits is insane.”
                          http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...ser/ar-AAaVX1D
                          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Well, he was a former full-time officer...

We have reserve officers. More than one are former career officers who retired and now spend a couple days a month back on patrol. However, they ride with a full-time officer, and they meet all our training requirements.

Using a reserve on a task force buy op really surprises me-that's the sort of situation that calls for your best, because as events show, the subjects involved are prone towards violence.

Stress training: there is no substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                              I did a muscle memory screw up once. I was short toured in Prague because of promotion. I went back to the school house to become a detachment commander. The school house had just received a shoot don't shoot trailer. Since I was already qualified with the revolver and had stood post many times......I was picked to demonstrate.

I was presented with seven targets at various times and locations. Two of the targets were bad guys. We were trained to double tap followed by a head shot. After I fired my 6th round, instead of getting behind cover, clearing and uploaded......

I assumed a perfect clearing barrel stance. I had the revolver loaded in back in the leather in about 4-5 seconds which was the standard but in the process I presented a perfect target of myself...

Its funny afterwards...

I spent an eternity behind my car while a nutjob used it and another car for target practice before I could scoot to better cover. Later, after it was all over, I realized that after the first shot glanced off my windshield I stopped, cut the wheels, turned the car off, hit the lock button on my way out, and unsnapped/resnapped the keeper I keep my car keys on. Without thinking.

Comment

Hi

So whats this officer likely to be charged with-Involuntary Manslaughter?

Regards

Andy H
                                "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X