Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

73 year old LEO mistakes pistol for a taser. You know the rest of the story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 year old LEO mistakes pistol for a taser. You know the rest of the story.

A 73 year old LEO? And it's all on video.

Oklahoma prosecutors are reviewing the shooting of an unarmed black man by a sheriff's deputy who says he was unintentionally struck with a gun instead of Tasered during the fatal takedown.

Video released Friday shows the dramatic April 2 arrest of Tulsa man Eric Harris, 44, and the moment Reserve Deputy Robert Bates, 73, shoots him.

"Taser! Taser!" Bates is heard shouting, before firing a single round from his regular gun, hitting Harris, who was pinned to the ground by officers.

Bates quickly realized his mistake: "I shot him! I'm sorry!"

As Harris squirms on the ground he screams, "He shot me! He shot me, man. Oh, my God. I'm losing my breath," he said.

Harris was taken to the hospital, where he died about an hour later.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-tased-n340116
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Mistakes happen, the first one here was that Eric Harris was engaged in criminal activity.

Comment

Rule to prevent being killed:

1. Don't commit a crime.
      2. Don't get caught.
      3. Don't run.
      4. Don't resist.
      5. Be nice to the police.

My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Mistakes happen, the first one here was that Eric Harris was engaged in criminal activity.
        A 73 year old deputy?
        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          Rule to prevent being killed:

1. Don't commit a crime.
          2. Don't get caught.
          3. Don't run.
          4. Don't resist.
          5. Be nice to the police.

I get that, but let's hope the next time you get pulled over the 73 year old deputy doesn't mistake his Glock for the ticket book.
          My dad was a cop for 30 years, he used his firearm once. And he never mistook his handgun for anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
            A 73 year old deputy?
            Reserve deputy. Not sure what this sherriff's office's policies are, but indeed they need to review them. It's obvious this man was unable to perform and it cost a life.
            Кто там?
            Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
            Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Exactly what was Eric Harris, 44, doing that he deserved being tasered or shot?

Answer: Trying to buy drugs and a firearm from undercover police. Harris has priors and would be felon in possession of a firearm...

Comment

Exactly what was Eric Harris, 44, doing that he deserved being tasered or shot?

Answer: Trying to buy drugs and a firearm from undercover police. Harris has priors and would be felon in possession of a firearm...
                Trying to buy drugs and a firearm does not = deserved to be shot. Crime - yes, deserved to be shot, that's just silly.
                Кто там?

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                  Trying to buy drugs and a firearm does not = deserved to be shot. Crime - yes, deserved to be shot, that's just silly.
                  He was fleeing several policemen. The 74 year old made a mistake. As to whether he should have been there to begin with is a whole different matter. As it was he was shot by accident by an elderly man who probably shouldn't have been there, but that sort of mistake could have been made by anyone in the heat of the moment.

Comment

He was fleeing several policemen. The 74 year old made a mistake. As to whether he should have been there to begin with is a whole different matter. As it was he was shot by accident by an elderly man who probably shouldn't have been there, but that sort of mistake could have been made by anyone in the heat of the moment.
                    I don't think fleeing constitutes the use of deadly force, non lethal force, sure. But in your original statement you stated he deserved to be shot by police for trying to buy guns and drugs.
                    Кто там?

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                      More than silly. Things are changing back home. Wait until it goes so far that kids playing in the street get cuffed and booked.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                        A 73 year old LEO? And it's all on video.

Oklahoma prosecutors are reviewing the shooting of an unarmed black man by a sheriff's deputy who says he was unintentionally struck with a gun instead of Tasered during the fatal takedown.

Video released Friday shows the dramatic April 2 arrest of Tulsa man Eric Harris, 44, and the moment Reserve Deputy Robert Bates, 73, shoots him.

"Taser! Taser!" Bates is heard shouting, before firing a single round from his regular gun, hitting Harris, who was pinned to the ground by officers.

Bates quickly realized his mistake: "I shot him! I'm sorry!"

As Harris squirms on the ground he screams, "He shot me! He shot me, man. Oh, my God. I'm losing my breath," he said.

Harris was taken to the hospital, where he died about an hour later.
                        http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-tased-n340116
                        You left a bit out there. When saying he was shot he was told to shut the [email protected]#&k up

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...for-Taser.html

Comment

Sorry doesn't cut it. Not knowing the difference between his equipment means he shouldn't have been out there. His fellow deputies should be happy they weren't shot. What's next, maybe driving his cruiser through a Dunkin Donuts front door? Sorry, got the gas and brake mixed up!
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

73 years old? Is the pension that bad.
                            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

The only time a police officer should shoot is if someone's shooting at him, or if there's a clear threat to others.

The low-life who got himself clobbered certainly deserved an interview with a judge, and whatever punishment the jury deemed fit - he didn't deserve to die.

At the moment, Police Scotland are being roasted over a slow fire for their decision to arm officers. I would not like to see what happened to an officer who fired at an unarmed suspect.

Of course, the more I look around the world, the more I come to believe that our policemen (and women) are wonderful.
                              Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X