Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tsarnaev guilty of all 30 counts, including 17 that carry a possible penalty of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsarnaev guilty of all 30 counts, including 17 that carry a possible penalty of death

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/08/us/bos...bombing-trial/

Guilty on all 30 counts.

So far, Tsarnaev has been found guilty of, among other things:

• Conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death, a charge that carries a possible penalty of death;

• Using a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death, and aiding and abetting, a charge that carries a possible penalty of death;

• Using or carrying a weapon in relation to a crime of violence;

• Conspiracy to bomb a public place;

• Bombing a public place;

• Conspiracy to maliciously destroy property;

• Malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive;

• Use or possession of a gun in relation to a crime of violence.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

I think convicting him of "Conspiracy" to do whatever (aka a "Thoughtcrime") is asinine in this case.

Yea, convict him of the actual acts carried out and put him to death or lock him up or whatever, but it's really just gratuitous stupidity to be convicting him of thinking about committing this crime.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I think convicting him of "Conspiracy" to do whatever (aka a "Thoughtcrime") is asinine in this case.

Yea, convict him of the actual acts carried out and put him to death or lock him up or whatever, but it's really just gratuitous stupidity to be convicting him of thinking about committing this crime.
      Conspiracy is not a 'thought crime'. It is based on actions taken by those charged.
      “To talk of many things:
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        Conspiracy is not a 'thought crime'. It is based on actions taken by those charged.
        It often is. But, here it is irrelevant. The crime was actually carried out. Charging him with planning to do the crime on top of doing the crime smacks of double jeopardy.

Comment

It often is. But, here it is irrelevant. The crime was actually carried out. Charging him with planning to do the crime on top of doing the crime smacks of double jeopardy.
          Nope, two different things.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Well, not a shock. I thought they had a novel defense approach, but I really didn't expect a different outcome.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Is the electric chair still an option

Comment

The jury took 11.5 hours to decide. Seems a long time for a straight forward case.
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Its hard to argue against the Death Penalty

But he will probably get Life Imprisonment

My cousins daughter was injured in this but she recovered TBG
                  http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Absolutely not. Conspiracy in this case is very important, legally it means he is legal responsible every criminal act carried out by other members of the conspiracy. This speaks to the penalty phase as well be explained to the jury by the judges instructions, even if they believe he was under the sway of his brother, that in no way reduces his legal responsibility for the acts and he should be sentenced accordingly.
                    Boston Strong!

Comment

Originally posted by bill shack View Post
                      Is the electric chair still an option
                      This is a Federal case. Execution would be by lethal injection.
                      Boston Strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                        The jury took 11.5 hours to decide. Seems a long time for a straight forward case.
                        Not really. With thirty counts it would pretty much take that long to review the judges instructions on each of the counts and take a vote. Throw in time for a meal or two and I would say they was not a lot of debate.
                        Boston Strong!

Comment

Put him in general population, where he will be dead within 24 hours.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

If he does not get death or if it just never gets carried out, he is looking at 50+ years at ADX Florence in CO. Lots of locked down time in a small concrete room. Bleak outlook for a young man. If I were him I would tell my lawyers to get me the death penalty.
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Put him in general population, where he will be dead within 24 hours.
                              Too fast. Put him down the road in Florence and let him rot with no human contact.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X