Is the Ferguson story getting dumber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Ferguson story getting dumber?

I saw that Ferguson voters turned out in much higher numbers for the local election yesterday, and noticed also that last time they elected city administrators they had a 12% voter turnout. They have 21,000 people there, probably as a guess 75% of them are of voting age, so maybe 15,750 eligible voters...and of that number less than 2,000 turned out last election. The city council was disproportionately white, since of the 21,000 residents only about 7,000 are white. If the voters who did turn out were in proportion to the general population, which I doubt, 2/3 of the 2,000 who did vote were black, so about 1,350. What I'm getting at is yes there was under-representation of blacks in city hall, but might that have been different if people bothered to show up to vote? They had no problem catching a ride or taking the bus to the riots and looting night after night, but can't be bothered to get to the polls once every couple of years?
    I'm struggling to understand this type of stupidity: we have a system in place that allows people to choose who represents them in their government but they don't bother taking part--then when something happens they feel they're not properly represented and head out to riot. Am I missing something or are these people mentally challenged?
    The media's claiming that there was a much higher turnout this time, but still it was around 29%...reported properly the headlines should say fully 71% of the eligible voters in Ferguson still can't be bothered to vote even after all the b.s.

You've got it right - most people can't be bothered to vote, often because the don't believe that their vote makes any difference in the process that exists today.

What with gerrymandering and all, they're mostly correct.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

When your out knocking over the liquor store you don't have time to vote. Are you really that out of touch?

Comment

Do we really want stupid people voting...?

Comment

Well, no I suppose we don't. I would prefer that people who don't vote remember that they didn't when it comes time to feel under-represented, disenfranchised, or whatever they want to call it. Maybe we can have a new rule in place that you don't get to riot unless you have an 'I voted' sticker on your shirt. Ironically, those who riot anyway could then be legally shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
            Well, no I suppose we don't. I would prefer that people who don't vote remember that they didn't when it comes time to feel under-represented, disenfranchised, or whatever they want to call it. Maybe we can have a new rule in place that you don't get to riot unless you have an 'I voted' sticker on your shirt. Ironically, those who riot anyway could then be legally shot.
            I'd go a bit further: Those on government assistance, welfare, SNAP, unemployment, etc., should be barred from voting. That is a sort of "You can't vote yourself more benefits" thing.

Comment

The Ferguson story was based on a lie to begin with. When you start from there is isn't hard to fall further.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                When your out knocking over the liquor store you don't have time to vote. Are you really that out of touch?
                I don't drink...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                  Great idea, but it will just start a black market in "I Voted" stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Great idea, but it will just start a black market in "I Voted" stickers.
                    That's 'African American market'.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X