Atheists Now A Protected Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Anecdote is not evidence. He could have sex with a girl but may not enjoy or want it. That doesn't mean his choice is genetic.
    It is no different from someone being introverted or extroverted. Many human behaviors are learned, and sexual preferences are one of them.

I could ask when hiring you. I could have you sign an employment contract that requires you abstain from getting a tattoo for sanitation reasons. There are companies today that require their employees to be non-smokers. No difference.

Of course their different. Different as night and day.

I don't like tattoos in any forum but they are not a sanitation issue once healed. Smoke on the other hand is well known.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

I don't like tattoos in any forum but they are not a sanitation issue once healed. Smoke on the other hand is well known.
      If I owned a restaurant, food handling or any health care related business, I would not hire anyone with tattoos...
      Tattooing is associated with HCV infection, even among those without traditional HCV risk factors such as IDU and blood transfusion prior to 1992.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23315899

Hepatitis C is a very serious liability risk.

As long as they weren't smoking at work or reeking of cigarette smoke, smokers pose no elevated risk of infecting the customers.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
        If I owned a restaurant, food handling or any health care related business, I would not hire anyone with tattoos...
        Tattooing is associated with HCV infection, even among those without traditional HCV risk factors such as IDU and blood transfusion prior to 1992.

As long as they weren't smoking at work or reeking of cigarette smoke, smokers pose no elevated risk of infecting the customers.
        When smokers duck out the back door to get their fix won't bother you then.

Iirc those in food services are required to have a health certificate?

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
          Proof please?

Dress code
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Red herring fallacy.

Originally posted by Half Pint John
            I don't think waiters, waitresses, cooks, fast food workers, the kids slicing lunch meat at the grocery store deli counter or most other commonly encountered food handlers.have to have anything other than a pulse to work.

Even if they did, it would be irrelevant...
            Can a person have normal liver enzyme (e.g., ALT) results and still have Hepatitis C?

Yes. It is common for persons with chronic Hepatitis C to have a liver enzyme level that goes up and down, with periodic returns to normal or near normal. Some infected persons have liver enzyme levels that are normal for over a year even though they have chronic liver disease. If the liver enzyme level is normal, persons should have their enzyme level re-checked several times over a 6–12 month period. If the liver enzyme level remains normal, the doctor may check it less frequently, such as once a year.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm#cFAQ51

Tatoos elevate the risk of HVC infection by a factor of three. It is my business and my decision as to how much risk I am willing to take with my business.

Furthermore, I also.get.to decide.what image I want my business to present to the public. Excessive and/or disturbing tattoos, piercings and other forms of self mutilation would not be consistent with my business' public image.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Red herring fallacy.

Tells me it's been a long time that you worked in a closed place such as a warehouse or in retail or many office workers that take a break when the craving gets to bad.

Comment

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
                Red herring fallacy.

Tells me it's been a long time that you worked in a closed place such as a warehouse or in retail or many office workers that take a break when the craving gets to bad.
                Description of Red Herring

A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:
                1. Topic A is under discussion.
                2. Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A).
                3. Topic A is abandoned.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because merely changing the topic of discussion hardly counts as an argument against a claim.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...d-herring.html

Comment

Red herring fallacy.

I don't think waiters, waitresses, cooks, fast food workers, the kids slicing lunch meat at the grocery store deli counter or most other commonly encountered food handlers.have to have anything other than a pulse to work.

Even if they did, it would be irrelevant...
                  Can a person have normal liver enzyme (e.g., ALT) results and still have Hepatitis C?

Yes. It is common for persons with chronic Hepatitis C to have a liver enzyme level that goes up and down, with periodic returns to normal or near normal. Some infected persons have liver enzyme levels that are normal for over a year even though they have chronic liver disease. If the liver enzyme level is normal, persons should have their enzyme level re-checked several times over a 6–12 month period. If the liver enzyme level remains normal, the doctor may check it less frequently, such as once a year.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/C/cFAQ.htm#cFAQ51
                  Tatoos elevate the risk of HVC infection by a factor of three. It is my business and my decision as to how much risk I am willing to take with my business.

Furthermore, I also.get.to decide.what image I want my business to present to the public. Excessive and/or disturbing tattoos, piercings and other forms of self mutilation would not be consistent with my business' public image.
                  Both tattoos and piercing I don't care for. Some/most are revolting imo. Same goes for "signing" and ball caps on backwards, pants that look like they are full of it. After all, I'm a Conservative.

Comment

Description of Red Herring

A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:
                    1. Topic A is under discussion.
                    2. Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A).
                    3. Topic A is abandoned.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because merely changing the topic of discussion hardly counts as an argument against a claim.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...d-herring.html
                    Lol then what does any of this crap about tattoos, piercings, and your dislike of black teenagers have to do with atheism?
                    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                      Lol then what does any of this crap about tattoos, piercings, and your dislike of black teenagers have to do with atheism?
                      It has to do with the government's lack of constitutional power to establish protected classes of people and dictate the hiring practices of private sector businesses...

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                      http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...gainst-atheism

No surprise that the story is only partially told. There is an existing list of people who cannot be discriminated against because of what they believe or who they are. They just got around to adding atheists to the list.

Even by Faux News standards that nonsense was remarkable. Where does that hostility towards Christianity come from, that you might want to discriminate in terms of hiring - their example to hire pilots on the basis of their believing in hell, this is another example of Christianity and Jews being attacked, etc.

MM - do you get paid more by Fox if you post the most inane **** that they come out with?
                      Headline to the NPR article you cited...
                      Madison, Wis., Council Votes To Ban Discrimination Against Atheism

How is Nitwit Pinko Radio's emphasis any different than Faux News' emphasis?

While it can be taken for granted that the Mountain Sage never reads, much less comprehends, any of the articles he posts... How did you miss the headline?

As an added bonus... Cite the constitutional provision authorizing government to establish "protected classes" of citizens?

Double bonus question... How can government establish protected classes of citizens without violating the due process rights of unprotected classes?
                      "Protected class membership means a group of natural persons, or a natural person, who may be categorized because of their ability to satisfy the definition of one or more of the following groups or classes: sex, race, religion or nonreligion, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, age, handicap/disability, marital status, source of income, arrest record or conviction record, less than honorable discharge, physical appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic identity, political beliefs, familial status, student, domestic partner, or receipt of rental assistance.

Triple bonus question...

Could this law be used to force me to hire this person as my receptionist and be the public "face" of my company?

Could it be used to force me to hire this guy as a chaplain?

Or hire this as a swimsuit model?

Comment

They get caught, they get fired. They are still on company property. They leave the property to smoke during their shift, and it isn't a break or meal time etc., they get fired.

They have to get a one-time "ServeSafe" certificate. It is an test that one can study for almost to having the answers and then forget once you pass it... Sort of like getting a driver's license in the US.

If you are reasonably intelligent you can damn near pass it without studying...

http://www.foodsafetyandnutrition.com/About_Us.html

Comment

But unless they are also atheists, it has nothing to do with this thread.

Start your own thread, TAG, since you clearly do not understand the point of this one.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X