No announcement yet.

It's starting to look as if colleges have priced themselves out of the market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's starting to look as if colleges have priced themselves out of the market

Several colleges and universities have been hit hard with declining enrollment and inability to pay the bills

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/caree...tl?ocid=SMSDHP

About one-third of all colleges and universities in the U.S. are on an unsustainable financial path, according to a 2012 report from consulting firm Bain & Co. While some of the schools on that list have resources, like a large endowment and a steady enrollment base, that could help them stave off closure, smaller, private colleges “need to be on the lookout,” Jeff Denneen, the leader of Bain’s higher education practice and one of the authors of the report, said in an interview.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...dL?ocid=SMSDHP

The decline in enrollments at The University of Phoenix is a continuing trend, as enrollment numbers have been cut in half from five years ago, down from 460,000 to 213,000, according to CNN Money.
    Looks to me like they overpriced their product and that can be attributed to the huge increase in federal money for education I would say.

I agree, there's no question about it. I graduated from high school in 2006 and in my high school we were more or less forced into college. Guidance counselors would tell us that we would never amount to anything without a college degree.

I admit it, I struggled through college for 5 years before graduating. I wish I had been encouraged to learn a trade instead of wasting my time and my parent's money. Now we have millions of people my age who have these degrees but can't find meaningful employment. Degrees have been watered down to the point where a Master's is like the modern high school diploma. And this does not even address all the debt that students accumulate unless they are lucky enough to have parents like mine, or some sort of scholarship. Many people cannot afford college, and without it they will be stuck working at McDonald's or the local grocery store ... where they will also face competition from those who do have college degrees and can't find work elsewhere.

College isent for everyone and our K-12 educational system needs to reflect this reality.

Comment

I went both routes. I have a trade and several degrees. I think on the whole the trade has done me more good than the degrees.

Comment

I think Net-based learning has a great potential. In Texas we are seeing a huge amount of the continuing-education requirements for LEOs being shifted to a Net format.

For classroom topics it radically cuts costs and lost man-hours while imparting a uniform level of training.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

What should one expect when Government throws money at the universities and makes it super easy for prospective students to borrow huge sums of money for little or no credit? You end up with a greedy system run by Progressives with their overpaid friends brainwashing their students with Multiculturalism, Marxism, Communism, Revisionist History, Feminism, and Climate Change.
          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Quote:
            The decline in enrollments at The University of Phoenix is a continuing trend, as enrollment numbers have been cut in half from five years ago, down from 460,000 to 213,000, according to CNN Money.

Might be due to all the dumb people living in AZ.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Most of the colleges in financial dumps are private liberal arts colleges. Gosh, not getting a good enough job to pay off your student loan with a major in art history, who'd have thunk it?

In the next decade fully expect internet colleges to replace brick and mortar diplomas, especially if you can get a loan to 'attend' them.
              "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

(join the Navy...see the world...)

Add to all this strife the cutthroat competition just to land a space in a college freshman class. As a HS educator I see the stress usually starting at the end of the sophomore year. Standard testing, including SATs, PSATs, NWEAs, common core assessments, APs and a myriad of other similarly acronymmed exams add to the anxiety levels in an ever increasing spiral that peaks during the application/college essay process and is culminated upon receipt of the "letter". (Did they get their first choice? second? last? Do they need another year of PG?)
                Somewhere along the way of this whole process lies the dreaded financial statement which will determine how much aid will be granted and how much of a second mortgage that some parents will need to apply for in order that their precious offspring can have the very best opportunity to excel and thrive while at university.
                So, not only is the cost of higher education becoming more of a burden for some demographics, the anxiety factor has also increased exponentially.
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Take a look at the salary of the average Professor and you'll see where the problem is.

Colleges increased tuition at the same rate that Govt assistance was provided, some serious greed at work there.

I say let 'em go bust, and reform the whole industry.
                  But you know what will happen- they will have an ad campaign about "save the future!" and the usual drake, while their K-Street lobby demands more and more Govt bail-out money.
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Teaching about Che costs a lot of money, and textbooks about Che cost lots of money.
                    I wouldn't be surprised if college entrance exams like the ACT and SAT are replaced with Che exams. And then maybe before a student would be allowed to graduate they have to pass a Che final exam so they can go out into the world and make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      I think Net-based learning has a great potential. In Texas we are seeing a huge amount of the continuing-education requirements for LEOs being shifted to a Net format.

For classroom topics it radically cuts costs and lost man-hours while imparting a uniform level of training.
                      My wifes job in the medical field is like that also....... she takes CE classes online to keep her accreditation

Comment

For those High School Grads out there, Consider a nearby community collage for your further education. In addition, try to get an apprenticeship in the career of your choice. Not only will that education be a lot cheaper, you will have a greater chance of being employable in the career you have chosen.

Credits can be transferred to a four year institution should such further education become necessary. Your apprentice sponsor and or Guidance Counselor can advise you what additional education courses will be needed.
                        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
                          Teaching about Che costs a lot of money, and textbooks about Che cost lots of money.
                          I wouldn't be surprised if college entrance exams like the ACT and SAT are replaced with Che exams. And then maybe before a student would be allowed to graduate they have to pass a Che final exam so they can go out into the world and make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                            Take a look at the salary of the average Professor and you'll see where the problem is.

Colleges increased tuition at the same rate that Govt assistance was provided, some serious greed at work there.

I say let 'em go bust, and reform the whole industry.
                            But you know what will happen- they will have an ad campaign about "save the future!" and the usual drake, while their K-Street lobby demands more and more Govt bail-out money.
                            "Full professors at public doctoral institutions made $126,981 in salary in the 2013-2014 academic year, and instructors at those schools made $50,032."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ade-last-year/

Comment

Originally posted by Trailboss49 View Post
                              Most of the colleges in financial dumps are private liberal arts colleges. Gosh, not getting a good enough job to pay off your student loan with a major in art history, who'd have thunk it?

In the next decade fully expect internet colleges to replace brick and mortar diplomas, especially if you can get a loan to 'attend' them.
                              Colleges get paid with the student loans. Sort of apples and oranges here.

Other that pulling some opinion out of your... do you have any source to support your opinion?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X