Phil Robertson uses 'rape story' to denounce atheists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Robertson uses 'rape story' to denounce atheists

The star of the US TV reality show Duck Dynasty is facing criticism after a speech that included a graphic story about an atheist family being killed.

Phil Robertson appeared to be using the imagined story to claim that atheists would not find rape or murder immoral.
    Robertson has since become a political figure. He recently spoke at CPAC, a large gathering of American conservatives that included presidential hopefuls such as Ted Cruz and Rand Paul.

"Two guys break into an atheist's home," Robertson said in the speech. "He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters.

"Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him. And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot 'em and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off [sic] in front of him."

He continued: "And they can look at him and say, 'Isn't it great that I don't have to worry about being judged? Isn't it great that there's nothing wrong with this? There's no right or wrong, now is it dude?'"
    BBC - Full Article

Wow a real live talking arse.
    Wack tac mac hey.
    Regards.
    Grishnak.

Comment

Comment

Dude seems to imagine children being raped a fair bit.
        #occupyarmchairgeneral.
        Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
        Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

It is baffling that some religious people seem to think that just because you do not believe in a god that you cannot have a sense of morality. It is even more baffling that those who base their sense of morality on certain sacred texts feel in a position to lecture others on morality.
          "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
          G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
          Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

I understand the point he was trying to make but he was both over the top and out of line.

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
              I understand the point he was trying to make but he was both over the top and out of line.
              You understand? So what was his point other than make one wonder of what type people are getting invited to speak at political conventions and scares the s--- out of me that their are those that agree with him.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

His point was that Duck Dynasty members are insane and immoral, not to mention obsessed with things like raping children.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  His point was that Duck Dynasty members are insane and immoral, not to mention obsessed with things like raping children.

I'd like to think that is the case, but is it?
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
                    Let me, as an Atheist, go on the record here and state that I and most of my fellow 1.1 billion Atheists and Agnostics do indeed believe that murder and rape are wrong! We don't need to believe in Yahweh or Zeus to do so.

I have no idea why Islamists and Evangelicals think otherwise. Except that they're pure bigots.
                    ´
                    “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

Anecdote is not evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
                        I have no idea why Islamists and Evangelicals think otherwise. Except that they're pure bigots.
                        The show should be renamed "The American Taliban"
                        #occupyarmchairgeneral.
                        Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
                        Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                          It is baffling that some religious people seem to think that just because you do not believe in a god that you cannot have a sense of morality. It is even more baffling that those who base their sense of morality on certain sacred texts feel in a position to lecture others on morality.
                          Welcome to the 21st century, where every swinging d*ck -- the religious and the irreligious alike -- feels that not only does his poo-poo smell discernibly sweeter than yous, but that he's entitled to shove samples of it in your face, as well.

As a practicing Christian, this is the phrase I utter daily: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner" -- emphasis on the "me, a sinner" part. It reminds me that my knowledge of the Divine is so extremely limited as to constitute a joke -- and that if I'm not careful, the the value of my character might not be too far behind. Reading the ancients -- Christian and non-Christian alike -- it seems to me that the first mark of a good man is humility. A man without humility is always suspect. A man who'd preach and shout right in your face -- temporal or religious, it matters not -- is a man lacking humility, and consequently the value given his words must be reduced accordingly. I never had much use for Duck Dynasty; now I have even less.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            You understand? So what was his point other than make one wonder of what type people are getting invited to speak at political conventions and scares the s--- out of me that their are those that agree with him.
                            The way I understand it is that he is not a very good person in building an argument, or an anecdote, and he is arguing from the position that morality only comes from God and religion(and he sounds like that is a fact for him, or that he simply doesn't understand there could be other ways or that they even could exist). He seems to think that if there is no final judgement there is no judgement at all. In addition he doesn't know what atheism is. And on top of that he thinks he knowns what he is talking about.

Or maybe he is just full of ****.
                            Last edited by Karri; 26 Mar 15, 12:04.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              You do realize the definitions of the terms understand and agree are not the same?

Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
                              Let me, as an Atheist, go on the record here and state that I and most of my fellow 1.1 billion Atheists and Agnostics do indeed believe that murder and rape are wrong! We don't need to believe in Yahweh or Zeus to do so.

Sensitive much? But you are projecting. Seriously projecting. The one point I have continually made concerning the intersection of morality and atheism is that atheist subscribe to moral relativism. You can snark all you like but it is true Christians have set code to live by. That they may not always live up to that code does not negate the code. Atheist live by whatever code they set for themselves. Therefore what is considered moral by one may not be considered so by another.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X