The Value of the US Dollar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Value of the US Dollar

Recently, I went on Google to take a look at the exchange rate between Canada and the USA. A couple years back(around the summer of 2012) I would go up to Canada and I would pay 100 USD to get about 96 Canadian. And for me, this was an inconvenience, I would end up losing money both ways. At least back in 09 I could get more bang for my buck, even if consumer goods may have cost a little more in Canada then they did in the USA.

But nowadays, as late as March 23rd, 2015, 100 USD will get you around 120 Canadian(using the cash rate).

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exc...ear-converter/

A few months back, a write up on CNN discussed the value of the US dollar,

The U.S. Dollar Index, which measures the value of the greenback against a basket of foreign currencies, has climbed to its highest level in over four years."The momentum of the dollar's advance is unprecedented," said analysts at Société Générale in a note Monday morning.

Feeling buff: Americans can take comfort in the fact that a strong dollar is a sign of confidence in the U.S. economy. It means foreign investors are figuring that the country is a good place to park some money for the foreseeable future

The downside: While a robust dollar cheapens imports, it makes American exports and products look more expensive to the rest of the world. That can hurt domestic manufacturing as U.S. firms end up competing for consumers with international rivals who are offering discounted products.

The takeaway: While the pros and cons of a stronger dollar are very real, it's probably too early to tell the extent to which it will affect consumers and businesses. Investor sentiment can shift quickly, and any data or central bank actions that change the way investors view the global economy can reverberate quickly across the often opaque foreign exchange market.

more,

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/29/inve...our-year-high/

How do folks feel about the value of the US dollar, such as what our dollar is worth around the world?
    Last edited by Taieb el-Okbi; 24 Mar 15, 14:09.

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
    ...How do folks feel about the value of the US dollar, such as what our dollar is worth around the world?...
    100% apathy on my part. The value of the US dollar in the US is my only concern.

Comment

I'm very happy with this exchange rate with the Euro. 1.09 down from the mid 1.40s.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Look it up on the internet, T-bo.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site.htm

Comment

Originally posted by III Corps View Post
            100% apathy on my part. The value of the US dollar in the US is my only concern.
            The REAL dollar or the made one......every time the US runs short of cash it just prints more......in a real world IF the truth ever be told the US dollar should be worth about 55c....but this is all and one day it will all come crashing down....

Comment

The US dollar is not nearly as strong as the world economy says it is, which just goes to show how bad everyone else's really is.
              "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Here is what it was worth to us last year - roughly 1/24 of its original value 100 years ago.

In 1913 you could buy as much with a dollar as you can with $23.63 in 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Here is what it was worth to us last year - roughly 1/24 of its original value 100 years ago.
                  But what was the average family earning back then? We know the big difference in what a PVT 2 earns now than we were in.

Comment

Doesn't matter; what matters is that buying power was 24 times what it is today, which was the question originally posted.

I'm sure you can look up average wages for any profession 100 years ago to make a comparison, but my wages never went up in line with inflation and neither did yours, I'm sure.

Comment

Doesn't matter; what matters is that buying power was 24 times what it is today, which was the question originally posted.

I'm sure you can look up average wages for any profession 100 years ago to make a comparison, but my wages never went up in line with inflation and neither did yours, I'm sure.
                      In 1942 a PVT 1 $50 per month

In 2014 a PVT 1 $1546

Comment

I remember 11cent packs of Winston's at the p.x. in 1965.
                        Total pay,with combat pay in 1969.less that $2,000. pvte1
                        The history addict asked me,"Where did you fought?"
                        Me...Damn..."I'm not sure."

Comment

US interest rates are about to rise - opposite side of the Dollar Strength and the ECB is to start QE with a trillion euro injection.

Now if only I had bought Swiss Francs!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            In 1942 a PVT 1 $50 per month

In 2014 a PVT 1 $1546

My father was a buck sergeant in 1939 and he was making $28 a month as a married NCO, no housing allowance, so your figures are a little off.

And in 1961 a private made $76. Been there, stood in line and got the money, after all of the "deductions" by the First Sergeant and the government. That's why I went airborne - $50 a month jump pay!

You do realize that the military is hardly an apt comparison for civilian wages, or the value of the once proud dollar, right? Cup of coffee these days costs about $2.59 on average. What was it in '42? Oh, yeah, a nickel.

Comment

My father was a buck sergeant in 1939 and he was making $28 a month as a married NCO, no housing allowance, so your figures are a little off.

And in 1961 a private made $76. Been there, stood in line and got the money, after all of the "deductions" by the First Sergeant and the government. That's why I went airborne - $50 a month jump pay!

You do realize that the military is hardly an apt comparison for civilian wages, or the value of the once proud dollar, right? Cup of coffee these days costs about $2.59 on average. What was it in '42? Oh, yeah, a nickel.
                              I seriously doubt mine are incorrect, the are straight from the Army pay scale for 42. No my figure are not off but perhaps your memories are...

In 61 your pay should have been $83.20 for a PV1, not counting deductions for Art 15.

May of 65, PFC I got $42.42. We learn how to spend out money very carefully.

https://www.navycs.com/charts/1958-m...pay-chart.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X