George Zimmermann slams Obama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Is stocking legal? Is stand your ground legal?
    As noted by AJR, the legal definition of "stalking" requires at least 2 incidents.
    So, strictly speaking, Zimmerman was not "stalking".
    Nevertheless, Martin could reasonably have believed that Zimmerman was following him and further that Zimmerman's motives were unfriendly.
    But that isn't enough for a claim of self defense.

Martin had every right to be angry, but at no point did he have any right to feel threatened with immediate harm.
    As a result, Martin never had a basis to "stand his ground" while in the act of self defense.
    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
      As noted by AJR, the legal definition of "stalking" requires at least 2 incidents.
      So, strictly speaking, Zimmerman was not "stalking".
      Nevertheless, Martin could reasonably have believed that Zimmerman was following him and further that Zimmerman's motives were unfriendly.
      But that isn't enough for a claim of self defense.

Martin had every right to be angry, but at no point did he have any right to feel threatened with immediate harm.
      As a result, Martin never had a basis to "stand his ground" while in the act of self defense.
      Yup.

Self defense is an act employed solely to protect oneself or a third party from an imminent attack or further attacks.

It has to be one of the least understood aspects of the law.

Its not a free strike in retaliation, its not to be used because "he was looking at me funny".
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
        I assume you mean stalking. But Zimmerman wasn't stalking, at that point he had got out of his vehicle to check the name on a street sign. He had went back to his vehicle before this, at the request of the 911 dispatcher, who BTW had no more authority to tell Zimmerman what to do than you do. However, even if Zimmerman was stalking Martin, Martin had no right to attack him first. Zimmerman had as much right to be on that sidewalk as Martin did. From what I've read, and the jury seemed to agree, Martin doubled back to confront Zimmerman and punched him for no reason, knocking him down then straddling him and pounding his head into the pavement. At that point Zimmerman was within his rights to pull his gun and shoot Martin. The court agreed with this, so I have no idea why we are still debating it.
        The whole time I'm typing this I'm thinking, how weird is it that these guys last names are the same as the maiden names of both my grandmothers?
        Who doubled back??? At least both. Only difference Martin had a real reason to be there, on the way to his father's house. What reason did Zimmerman have to be there? Looking for his game? Hunting? Me big hero. ugugug. Were is my banana?

As for NO REASON we only have Zimmerman's word on that.

Check the name of a street sign??? He supposed to live there. It isn't that large of a community. Looks like four or five streets. If he didn't know that then was he competent to even have a gun?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Its not a free strike in retaliation, its not to be used because "he was looking at me funny".
          That is close to Zimmerman's given reason to go looking (PC) for some of you when you like. He looked funny and out of place.

Comment

What reason did Zimmerman have to be there? He was captain of the neighborhood watch and he lived there.
            "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

What reason did Zimmerman have to be there? He was captain of the neighborhood watch and he lived there.
              Was he? and he didn't know the street name he was at? Do you have a link saying he was the captain of a neighborhood watch and that there even was such a thing? I don't remember reading that and would be thankful for that bit of info.

Comment

According to the court transcripts he was a member of the Neighborhood Watch with the title of 'organizing secretary'. Like most chapters his group tended to assign more dramatic titles in lieu of the official NW titles. So 'captain' was more of a honorific.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Back to the topic. Z slams O. So???? Why do we care what a sort of person such as Zimmerman has to say about anything? I don't like O or Z.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                    ^ Yeah, but of all the people, George Zimmerman should probably be the one to most keep his piehole shut. Every time I turn around he's in trouble with the law again. Hey, he got off on the Michael Brown thing, which he probably should have -- but it was far from a sure thing. Why isn't he just counting his lucky stars and walking away?
                    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                    Back to the topic. Z slams O. So???? Why do we care what a sort of person such as Zimmerman has to say about anything? I don't like O or Z.
                    Slick started it and you took the bait....

Comment

IIRC did not Martin actually make it to the home he was staying at at the time just to turn around to confront Zimmerman?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X