Living In Luxury On Welfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living In Luxury On Welfare

Verde Point is a self-described "luxury apartment" complex with a rooftop pool and "personal wine storage" that is currently accepting public housing assistance recipients who will live there practically for free, courtesy of the taxpayers — at least until they become gainfully employed and their incomes rise. That's when the pool parties and wine tastings end and they will have to downgrade to a more middle-class abode.
    The Gramercy is another luxury apartment, also in Arlington, Va., where holders of the federal vouchers formerly known as Section 8 can live, taking advantage of its "massage room and sauna" and "clubroom with bar." Also included, according to its promotional materials, are a "first-class sports club," "theater/screening room," and computer room.
    "Someone will actually come and do a manicure right in your home," its promotional video says, adding that the units have "Berber carpet, GE stainless steel appliances, granite countertops." There are 20 residences at the Gramercy set aside as "affordable," and where Section 8 can be used.
    The Gramercy

As with those at Verde Point, federally-subsidized Gramercy residents can face the unpleasant choice between living in luxury on public assistance or getting a job and having to move to a neighborhood with far fewer amenities
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ntcmp=HPBucket
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Yeah, that's cropping up a lot lately.

Build a high-quality apartment complex, then get Federal subsidies by taking in X% of HUD types.

On the positive side, overall HUD has an ever-declined number of projects and apartments as they replace the 60s era facilities with newer, smaller units.

Interestingly, although they have a declining housing base, their staffing levels have continued to climb....
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      Yeah, that's cropping up a lot lately.

Build a high-quality apartment complex, then get Federal subsidies by taking in X% of HUD types.

On the positive side, overall HUD has an ever-declined number of projects and apartments as they replace the 60s era facilities with newer, smaller units.

Interestingly, although they have a declining housing base, their staffing levels have continued to climb....
      That's due to Wilkerson's Corollary to the Peter Principle. I can't imagine the paying renters in these places like co-living with the riff-raff.

Equally hard to imagine any of these parasites making any sort of serious effort to find work and lose the good life.

Comment

What ever but we have to get control of the abuse of the welfare system. It has never been intended for a life long career but to help in the short term to help get people get back on their feet.
        Last edited by Half Pint John; 23 Mar 15, 12:41.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Equally hard to imagine any of these parasites making any sort of serious effort to find work and lose the good life.
          Not IME. My guys are dealing with the grandkids of the welfare types I dealt with when I first joined my agency. Nary a job in four generations, at least.

Its human nature: why would someone a higher standard of living for free than they can obtain with an entry-level position, surrender that?

Cradle to grave.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Yeah, same as Great Britain where there are 4th gen-ers on the dole now.

I certainly wouldn't work if I could live in a luxury apartment with all of the amenities and collect a check from the government. Just common sense...

Hell of a way to run anything, let alone an entire nation. Maybe this is some of that "soft power" BoBo Kenyatta is supposed to wield so well, but to me it looks a lot liked forced redistribution of assets.

Comment

What happens when they start trashing the place as many of them did to the now demolished projects built for them in the 60s?
              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                What happens when they start trashing the place as many of them did to the now demolished projects built for them in the 60s?
                That's only in Detroit. In our burg we have a much better class of deadbeats.

Comment

Just because they wear boots and funny hats doesn't give them class.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I give those apartments a year.... 18 months at most. Then they're trashed out. All the furniture and public niceties are stolen and sold for drugs. Then the A/C and plumbing for the scrap value.

I guess if you are a developer looking for a massive tax write off it could be lucrative...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      I give those apartments a year.... 18 months at most. Then they're trashed out. All the furniture and public niceties are stolen and sold for drugs. Then the A/C and plumbing for the scrap value.

I guess if you are a developer looking for a massive tax write off it could be lucrative...
                      The ones in our area don't seem to have that problem. HUD or not, the tenants can be evicted at the drop of the hat for violating the complex's rules, and then its back on a waiting list for the crappy run-down 60s-era projects.

Plus somebody has something rigged in the selection process because the HUD types that get in those places seem to be the upper quality of freeloader.

Comment

In Sag Nasty, they trashed their housing in Daniel Heights. Saw one apartment inside with a hole kicked through the wall to make a doorway to the next door apartment. Three single mothers downstairs with young kids, one with a tiny infant. They had already trashed a drawer in a Clearance Center chest one of then had just had delivered.

The Bancroft Hotel had been turned into subsided housing about that time as well. Recently, the new owners kicked out all of the welfare residences, totally gutted the place, and rebuilt it into luxury apartments. Don't know if they will be forced to accept subsided residents or not.
                        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Actually, it's the perfect combo. The rich guys won't have to leave the building to meet their connect.
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Not IME. My guys are dealing with the grandkids of the welfare types I dealt with when I first joined my agency. Nary a job in four generations, at least.

Its human nature: why would someone a higher standard of living for free than they can obtain with an entry-level position, surrender that?

Cradle to grave.
                            How many of those would you consider middle class? As a copper, you know darn well that there is more at work there than just laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyan67 View Post
                              How many of those would you consider middle class? As a copper, you know darn well that there is more at work there than just laziness.
                              'Copper'?

WTF century are you from?

As a police officer of nearly three decades, laziness is just about the only reason. Welfare supports bureaucrats (about 55% of all funds spent), infrastructure (10%), and deadbeats (35%).

Back when food stamps were the traveler check looking certificates, you could spot a drug dealer by the wads of food stamps he was carrying.

When we instituted fingerprint kids for WIC, the number of supported kids fell and has yet to achieve the pre-fingerprint level.

Welfare is fraud. The few genuinely needy I know have difficulty getting any support.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X