This is why we need government regulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why we need government regulation

Another case of consumers being put at risk because of poor quality control and lack of enough inspectors.
    Some may read this and think the system worked because a warning has been issued, but, the problem should have been caught before any ice cream left the plant.

"DALLAS (AP) -- Blue Bell has ordered a recall of some single-serve ice cream products after five people developed a foodborne illness in Kansas after eating the products.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says three of the five people who developed listeriosis after eating certain Blue Bell frozen treats have died. The affected products were made on a single production line at Blue Bell's Brenham, Texas, creamery.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/state/fda-w...ll-confections
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

nonsense, regulation kills companies.
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
      nonsense, regulation kills companies.
      I'm with the otherwise clueless Finn on this one.

Blue Bell produces food products for hundreds of thousands of people day in and day out. There is no regulation that will stop the 1% factor.

This is yet another example of the 'mommy, save me' mentality that liberals so gladly embrace.

Fact is: you're gonna die. Everyone is going to die. Car crash, cancer, old age, nut with a crowbar. You're mortal: deal with it.

Feces occurs.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Blue Bell produces food products for hundreds of thousands of people day in and day out. There is no regulation that will stop the 1% factor.

This is yet another example of the 'mommy, save me' mentality that liberals so gladly embrace.

Fact is: you're gonna die. Everyone is going to die. Car crash, cancer, old age, nut with a crowbar. You're mortal: deal with it.

Feces occurs.
        Exactly. "Zero Tolerance" rules and regulations only strangle companies. The idea you can prevent every sickness, death, injury, get rid of all pollution is nothing but an idiotic pipedream foisted on us by morons who cannot accept that with living comes some degree of risk.

When you have a company manufacturing literally tons / millions of gallons of product that is sold to individual customers in small quantity there is going to be the potential that some small amount of that product will be defective even with very strict quality control.
        Now, the military and NASA might be able to get $500 perfect hammers every time but for the rest of the universe, the normal not insane universe, $500 hammers are a luxury we can't afford.

Same thing goes here. Blue Bell sells a safe product. That occasionally some small quantity is defective for some reason is inevitable. Now, if you want to pay $50 a gallon for ice cream we might be able to eliminate another 1 or 2% of risk and for $1000 a gallon all risk from ice cream.
        But, I doubt anyone will buy $50 or $1000 a gallon ice cream either.

Comment

I approach this from a pragmatic standpoint. The thing that anti-reggers often overlook is that before regulation you had no idea what might be in your canned peas. Foodborne illness in the good old days was off the chart for any and all processed foods and it was the kind of foodborne illness that kills instead of giving you the s for a couple of days. Regulation was what made the foodborne illness percentage as low as it is now and what enables swift recalls when happens. If you don't force companies to abide by basic hygiene, unscrupulous ones will cut corners.

Now, too much regulation, that can stifle a company. But there is a happy middle to hit between nanny state and death by tainted creamed corn.

I agree with you here but I take issue with this:

Feces occurs.
          That is exactly the attitude not to take. Failing to wash your hands after wiping and then fiddling with food you're selling to consumers because "hey, you're gonna get sick from something" is just as bad of an attitude as wanting to overregulate every time there is a hiccup.

Whenever one is working in matters that could dramatically affect someone's life one should always double check. Adopting a "who gives a " attitude is lazy and risky. The whole reason our suburbs are not frequently turned into fiery infernos is because airline pilots do exactly the opposite of what you're proposing.

I find there are two groups in America that rub me the wrong way: the ones that want to regulate what can't be controlled and the ones that are too tolerant of failure caused by stupidity and laziness. Failure should be punished when it is caused by carelessness. We need to stop with this millennial tolerance of half aed work. But yes, you can't regulate to perfection and sometimes things go wrong even when you do double check.

Find the happy medium. Regulations were created for a reason. Don't overregulate. But enforce common sense rules and punish carelessness.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Feces occurs.
            So you don't mind if you die because someone doesn't follow the law? Funny, coming from an alleged LEO.

It's easy to talk about that "1%" as long as it isn't you or one of your loved ones, isn't it?
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              So you don't mind if you die because someone doesn't follow the law? Funny, coming from an alleged LEO.

It's easy to talk about that "1%" as long as it isn't you or one of your loved ones, isn't it?
              I certainly wouldn't mind any attrition in Colorado, that's for sure.

Which law was violated, specifically? As in chapter, section, and point? Make sure its a legal code, not a civil regulatory body.

Blue Bell has been in business for over a century. Almost as long as you've been around, as a matter of fact. This is the first time they had a tainted product issue.

The existing regulations are sufficient. The resulting civil suits will cause the company to tighten up their procedures, and if the action was deliberate there are criminal statutes in place.

Raise the regulation levels higher, and we'll be importing ice cream products from Mexico or China, whose sterling standards are well known.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

If Worldcom, Enron, etc. and the 2008 financial crisis didn't convince people of the need for regulation a few dead from food poisoning surely will not. I also assume that the same people are not convinced that the government played any role in preventing millions of deaths from smallpox, or millions of ruined lives from polio.

There have and never will be unregulated markets the question is only who regulates them, monopolies and mega corporations or the people through their government. At a smaller scale the same is true for local economies and markets including unregulated and abusive small businesses.

A republic cannot be a government of the corporations, by the corporations for the corporations. If we the people are to have a government for the people then markets must be regulated. A people cannot be free if they are subject to market manipulation regardless of the political system they live under.

Government inspection of food services exists because it has been repeatedly shown that the industry cannot be trusted to regulate itself. This is what we call a self evident truth.

The need for food inspection does not mean that we should expect a perfectly safe food supply. It also doesn't mean that the case of Blue Bell in the original post implies gross negligence. The courts will most likely decide if negligence existed which may only speak to the need for tort reform. Reform however is the key concept, we need better more efficient government not the absence of government.
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

I heard that 1% of all people who read Armchair General Forums develop terminal Fibromyalgia.

We should, like, ban the forums, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
                    I heard that 1% of all people who read Armchair General Forums develop terminal Fibromyalgia.

We should, like, ban the forums, or something.
                    No, the problem here is with the 1% (not directed at you) afflicted with cranial rectosis. They suffer no pain, they only inflict pain on the rest of us...

Comment

Interesting how many people long for the day when cholera killed thousands of people every year, the good old days when there was lead in our canned veggies and anyone with a grinder could market bad meat.
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                        Interesting how many people long for the day when cholera killed thousands of people every year, the good old days when there was lead in our canned veggies and anyone with a grinder could market bad meat.
                        On the other hand how safe is safe enough? Is it really necessary to remove every last bit of pollution? Is it necessary to make drinking water near RO levels of cleanliness? Should be recall some toy because a few kids got an "owie" playing with it?
                        Should products be made sufficiently safe to protect idiots and stupid people who misuse it or are careless with it from themselves?

With many regulatory agencies of the government today that IS where we are today. That is insane. Zero tolerance for most things is insane. Thinking you can make the world completely safe or completely free of dirty icky stuff is just crazy.

But, it has scrubbing bubbles!

Okay, but I doubt you are going to eat this...

Warning, the people who made this label are nuts...

But I always dry my hair in the shower or the pool...

Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 14 Mar 15, 15:59.

Comment

Exactly. So what if your hatchback blows up if someone merely taps the back bumper or your burger is laced with ecoli. Suck it up.

Comment

The fact is we are terrible when it comes to self regulation, it requires some entity with the power to make rules and then inforce them.
                            Teddy Roosevelt was a republican, he was a great supporter of public sanitation and consumer protection.
                            He wouldn't stand a chance with today's Republican Party that believes everyone should have the right to crap anywhere they want to.

Comment

This is a photograph of a row of outhouses built over a river. The picture is from the early 1900s, taken in a Northern Idaho mining town.
                              Want to go fishing? I hear the brown trout are hitting.

PHP Code:
                              http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/6-unionist-strongholds-in-the-south-during-the-civil-war 
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X