Fake IRS agents target more than 366,000 in huge tax scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake IRS agents target more than 366,000 in huge tax scam

WASHINGTON (AP) — Fake IRS agents have targeted more than 366,000 people with harassing phone calls demanding payments and threatening jail in the largest scam of its kind in the history of the agency, a federal investigator said Thursday.

More than 3,000 people have fallen for the ruse since 2013, said Timothy Camus, a Treasury deputy inspector general for tax administration. They were conned out of a total of $15.5 million.

The scam has claimed victims in almost every state, Camus said. One unidentified victim lost more than $500,000.

"The criminals do not discriminate. They are calling people everywhere, of all income levels and backgrounds," Camus told the Senate Finance Committee at a hearing. "The callers often warned the victims that if they hung up, local police would come to their homes to arrest them."

The scam is so widespread that investigators believe there is more than one group of perpetrators, including some overseas.
    AP - Full Article

Damn, now we have copycat scams copying the original IRS scam. That's a lot of scamming.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
      Damn, now we have copycat scams copying the original IRS scam. That's a lot of scamming.
      It's like a scam within a scam.

It's... Scamception!

Comment

My mother got that phone call and asked me about it. Their reaction when I called them back and expressed my doubts that they were really the IRS was priceless. The guy I talked to didn't even try to double down on the lie and attempt to convinced me he was legit, he just started screaming obscenities and demanding I hang up. I suggested that he was an amateur, wished him a nice day and reported it too the IRS.
        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

This very profitable scam has been going on for months.

The reason so many people fall for it is because the IRS is one of the most powerful intimidating three letter Government agencies out there with the power to harass, seize property, and imprison all that don't comply to the ever changing mountain of tax laws they enforce.
          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
            My mother got that phone call and asked me about it. Their reaction when I called them back and expressed my doubts that they were really the IRS was priceless. The guy I talked to didn't even try to double down on the lie and attempt to convinced me he was legit, he just started screaming obscenities and demanding I hang up. I suggested that he was an amateur, wished him a nice day and reported it too the IRS.
            What is the number? We could have some fun with this.....
            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Maybe by targeting IRS agents?
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X