Breaking Another Promise to Veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Another Promise to Veterans

A White House appointee is claiming that private care is not the veterans preferred care.....

A recent Veterans of Foreign Wars survey on the Veterans Choice Program found that “80 percent of the 1,068 survey participants who reported that they either lived 40 miles from a VA medical facility or could not be seen by VA within 30 days said they were not afforded the choice to receive non-VA care.” Almost all the more than 2,500 respondents were interested in getting private care. Those lucky enough to meet the criteria and use the program were generally offered only a narrow set of options.

A generous interpretation is that the VA is having difficulty standing up a new program. A less generous interpretation is that the VA bureaucracy is intentionally erecting barriers to protect its monopoly on veterans’ health care. The recent statements and actions of VA leaders lend credence to this more cynical, but also more realistic, interpretation.

Helen Tierney, assistant secretary for management at Veterans Affairs, told the Military Times newspaper last month that the VA has “a strong indication that this [private care] is not veterans’ preferred choice” and they “would prefer to remain in the VA” for their care. Ms. Tierney—a White House appointee in 2014 with little previous health-care or veterans experience—offered no supporting evidence for these sweeping assertions.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pete-heg...ans-1426205712
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
    A White House appointee is claiming that private care is not the veterans preferred care.....

A recent Veterans of Foreign Wars survey on the Veterans Choice Program found that “80 percent of the 1,068 survey participants who reported that they either lived 40 miles from a VA medical facility or could not be seen by VA within 30 days said they were not afforded the choice to receive non-VA care.” Almost all the more than 2,500 respondents were interested in getting private care. Those lucky enough to meet the criteria and use the program were generally offered only a narrow set of options.

A generous interpretation is that the VA is having difficulty standing up a new program. A less generous interpretation is that the VA bureaucracy is intentionally erecting barriers to protect its monopoly on veterans’ health care. The recent statements and actions of VA leaders lend credence to this more cynical, but also more realistic, interpretation.

Helen Tierney, assistant secretary for management at Veterans Affairs, told the Military Times newspaper last month that the VA has “a strong indication that this [private care] is not veterans’ preferred choice” and they “would prefer to remain in the VA” for their care. Ms. Tierney—a White House appointee in 2014 with little previous health-care or veterans experience—offered no supporting evidence for these sweeping assertions.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pete-heg...ans-1426205712
    The government screwing over veterans? I honestly wish I was shocked at this point.

Comment

My wife is an x-ray tech and thinks the Veteran Hospitals have higher professional standards than any of the for profits she has worked at. I think that it could be a case of finding the right mix and not assuming that outsourcing is always the best option.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

N/T

smoke & mirrors
        Attached Files
        The history addict asked me,"Where did you fought?"
        Me...Damn..."I'm not sure."

Comment

Originally posted by hankwill View Post
          smoke & mirrors
          What's that? Obamacare for veterans?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
            My wife is an x-ray tech and thinks the Veteran Hospitals have higher professional standards than any of the for profits she has worked at. I think that it could be a case of finding the right mix and not assuming that outsourcing is always the best option.
            No doubt that she is right for the KC area, unfortunately it doesn't hold true for other areas. The Veterans Hospitals in D.C. and Richmond are well below standards.
            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

smoke & mirrors

Image is too small and sideways.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Image is too small and sideways.
                Appropriate when it comes from the VA....

Comment

Lol. Ive been to the best of the VA. Palo Alto clinic.

Worst medical care I've seen. Scarey actually, they wanted to fuse my spine when I really had blocked blood vessels in my legs...

If I went with them I'd have a painful back surgery and still had a heart attack...
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Hmmm...we seem to have that old problem of disappearing posts again. Must be a glitch with the nut that retains the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Hmmm...we seem to have that old problem of disappearing posts again. Must be a glitch with the nut that retains the server.
                      Don't say 'server' this thread will be assimilated into Hillary's thread....

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                        Don't say 'server' this thread will be assimilated into Hillary's thread....

Works for me.

Comment

FIRE IN THE HOLE !

I am required to travel to the Edward Hines Paupers Hospital in Maywood Illinois(90 miles one way)for anything more than a pill or a blood pressure reading.There is a V,A.clinic in Peru Ill(30miles)but last year,after the"V.A.scandals,I was told that they,Peru,had no"care providers"on staff at that time.I was given an appointment two months later at a V.A.medical facility(not Hines)80 miles from my home.I'm not sure of the situation in Peru V.A.right now and lucky I don't need them,right now,but am sure the Peru clinic would make me ineligible for the"Veterans Access,Choice and Accountability"Choice Card.
                          I refuse anything to do with"Hines"period.The hospital is overran with tramps,vagrants,homeless people and criminals.
                          Last time I was there I caught a janitor,a Hines employee,with his arm inside the vent window of my truck about to rob me of my tools inside,and he had accomplices.
                          I always find it amusing that when V.A. hospitals are mention how their personnel or their dependents praise the crap holes they work in.
                          Gotta keep that"goose"alive.

"Not eligible right now?No need to do anything!JUST KEEP YOUR CARD!
                          Last edited by hankwill; 13 Mar 15, 13:27.

Comment

I am required to travel to the Edward Hines Paupers Hospital in Maywood Illinois(90 miles one way)for anything more than a pill or a blood pressure reading.There is a V,A.clinic in Peru Ill(30miles)but last year,after the"V.A.scandals,I was told that they,Peru,had no"care providers"on staff at that time.I was given an appointment two months later at a V.A.medical facility(not Hines)80 miles from my home.I'm not sure of the situation in Peru V.A.right now and lucky I don't need them,right now,but am sure the Peru clinic would make me ineligible for the"Veterans Access,Choice and Accountability"Choice Card.
                            I refuse anything to do with"Hines"period.The hospital is overran with tramps,vagrants,homeless people and criminals.
                            Last time I was there I caught a janitor,a Hines employee,with his arm inside the vent window of my truck about to rob me of my tools inside,and he had accomplices.
                            I always find it amusing that when V.A. hospitals are mention how their personnel or their dependents praise the crap holes they work in.
                            Gotta keep that"goose"alive.

"Not eligible right now?No need to do anything!JUST KEEP YOUR CARD!
                            I used to live in that area..........I went to the VA clinic in bettendorf.I have no complaints about the care there. I was also told there is a clinic in Galesburg.Sounds to me like you should try one of those........

Comment

Thanks Jeff ,I'll see if I can make that happen.
                              All and all,we still get to keep the card,thank you Mr.President and Congress

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X