Boston Bomber Trial. Interesting the Defense admits he did it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Good points. I expect you're right about the defense's approach.

I doubt it will be a watershed, however, as those points have all been fought over many times. Texas alone executes several people a year, and we've done an mentally-challenged guy and an eighteen or nineteen year old.

The anti-death penalty organizers should probably avoid making a terror case a media issue; pretty counterproductive given the fact that we'll toast someone with a Hellfire on spec.
    I was thinking this might generate a new national debate on the criteria over when the death penalty would be imposed, but I'm sure you are right. A non-death penalty in this case probably would cause an uproar to toughen and tighten the law. Certainly public sentiment has to be strongly for the death penalty in his case.

Comment

Link to Wikipedia article on Federal Death Penalty, excerpt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital...ral_government

The United States federal government (in comparison to the separate states) applies the death penalty for crimes: treason, espionage, federal murder, large-scale drug trafficking, and attempting to kill a witness, juror, or court officer in certain cases. Military law allows execution of soldiers for several crimes. Executions by the federal government have been rare compared to those by state governments. Twenty-six federal (including military) executions have been carried out since 1950. Three of those (none of them military) have occurred in the modern post-Gregg era. This list only includes those executed under federal jurisdiction. The Federal Bureau of Prisons manages the housing and execution of federal death row prisoners. As of January 19, 2014, fifty-nine people are on the federal death row for men at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana; while the two women on the federal death row are at Federal Medical Center, Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas.[1]

Comment

Federal Medical Center, Carswell in Fort Worth, Texas.[1]

I wonder if it is still there, Carswell hasn't existed in quiet a number of years now.
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

If Tsarnaev is sentenced to life in prison, almost certainly he will spend the rest of his days at the US Supermax in Florence, Colorado. It is the only Federal Supermax. Link to wikipedia article on supermax prisons, with excerpt about Florence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermax_prison

There is only one supermax prison in the United States federal system, ADX Florence in Florence, Colorado.[10] It houses several inmates who have a history of violent behavior in other prisons, with the goal of moving them from solitary confinement for 23 hours a day to a less restrictive prison within three years. However, it is best known for housing several inmates who have been deemed either too dangerous, too high-profile or too great a national security risk for even a maximum-security prison.[7] Residents include Theodore Kaczynski, a domestic terrorist otherwise known as the Unabomber, who once attacked via mail bombs; Robert Hanssen, an American FBI agent turned Soviet spy; Terry Nichols, an accomplice to the Oklahoma City bombing; Richard Reid, known as the "Shoe Bomber", who was jailed for life for attempting to detonate explosive materials in his shoes while on board an aircraft;[11] Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the underwear bomber; Richard Lee McNair, a persistent prison escapee; Charles Harrelson, a hitman who was convicted in 1979 of killing Federal Judge John H. Wood, Jr.;[12] and Vito Rizzuto, boss of the "Sixth" Mafia "Family," released on October 5, 2012.[13]

Wikipedia article on ADX Florence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADX_Florence

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X