NTSB To Re-open Buddy Holly Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTSB To Re-open Buddy Holly Crash

Kind of strange that Holly is the only one mention: Richie Valens and the Big Bopper.

I'm not sure, either, what could possibly turn up 56 years after a crash involving as light aircraft that probably didn't even have a black box.

Guess it's a slow year for the NTSB, or it's budget time again.

The National Transportation Safety Board reportedly is considering re-opening its investigation into the 1959 plane crash that killed rock and roll stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson.
    The Des Moines Register reports that a New England man named L.J. Coon, who claims to be a retired pilot and aircraft dispatcher, petitioned the NTSB to take a second look at the case. The Civil Aeronautics Board, the NTSB's predecessor in air crash investigation, ruled that the primary cause of the crash seven miles north of Clear Lake, Iowa, was pilot error and poor weather conditions.
    However, Coon told the Register via email that he wants investigators to consider whether problems with the plane's rudder pedals caused 21-year-old pilot Roger Peterson to lose control of the plane. He theorized that Peterson may have tried to glide the single-engine Beechcraft Bonanza to a landing before the plane's right wing hit the ground, sending it cartwheeling across a cornfield. Peterson was the fourth person to die in the crash, along with the musicians.
    "I believe that the NTSB will review pilot Peterson's diagnostic actions in the aircraft during this 3.5-minute flight and realize the heroic efforts that took place in those 4.9 miles," Coon wrote.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/04...y-plane-crash/
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Well you are right Mountain Man it is a waste of money but that is what Government does best. On the bright side maybe some kid will discover the great music of Buddy, Valens and Big Bopper since they aren't exactly played on the radio anymore.

Comment

Agree about both the music and the government's propensity to do useless things.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Frankly, after all of this time, I'm not sure there is any wreckage left to investigate. I would imagine that the remains went for scrap long ago.

Hard to imagine how the NTSB is going to do an adequate job revisiting the past without hard facts.
            That's like deciding to investigate the possibility that Amelie Earhart's plane had a malfunction.

Comment

Maybe somebody at the NTSB is having a "Twilight Zone" moment:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx7...val_shortfilms

Comment

Sounds to me that they really need something to do. Not enough plane crashes recently to investigate? Gotta use up their budget?

This is one of those waste of taxpayers money things, but they gotta avoid layoffs.
                Homo homini lupus

Comment

...it's been 56 years. Fer Crissakes ....LET IT GO!!
                  ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                  IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Perhaps a relative is pushing to clear the pilot .
                    Wack tac mac hey.
                    Regards.
                    Grishnak.

Comment

Watch the Twilight Zone episode I posted. It fits this case to a tee.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        Watch the Twilight Zone episode I posted. It fits this case to a tee.
                        I saw that episode. No crash.

Comment

Have they nothing better to do ?
                          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I saw that episode. No crash.
                            Oh, there was a crash in it. It happened like 30 years earlier and the investigator couldn't figure out the cause driving him insane. Seems like art reflects life...

Comment

Tremendous waste of time and money!
                              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X