Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebfer
    replied
    You know in general if you make an accusation and some one asks you for the source in general your the one who has to provide it, not the one asking for the source, even if it's something the "accused" said... You think Mr. Twain would of known that...

Leave a comment:

• sherlock
    replied
    It ain't burnin' yet. Check back in July or August. If you can see through the smoke that is.

Leave a comment:

• Martok
    replied
    I put this phrase:

"California will be lusher than Ireland' by 2014"

...into the site search function and when searching for post came up with nine hits, all from this thread.

So I put the phrase in again and did a search for threads containing that phrase. I got one hit. This thread.

I did a Bing search on the phrase. I got a hit for AccuWeather dot com talking about the pattern of colder winters world wide.

I put the phrase through Google. The top hit was this thread. The second was on finance.

I declare Doc the winner.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by Persephone View Post
    We have many who believe just because it's a Stanford study...it must be all true.
    "What has happened in California has been a clear warming trend over the historical record ... that probably would not have happened without humans," said Stanford climate scientist Noah Diffenbaugh.

WTF is "Environmental Earth System Science"?
    • Associate Professor, Environmental Earth System Science
    • Senior Fellow, Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment
    • Affiliate, Precourt Institute for Energy

Dr. Noah Diffenbaugh is an Associate Professor in the School of Earth Sciences and Senior Fellow in the Woods Institute for the Environment at Stanford University. He studies the dynamics and impacts of climate variability and change. Much of his work has focused on the role of fine-scale processes in shaping climate change impacts, including studies of extreme weather, water resources, agriculture, human health, and poverty vulnerability.

Dr. Diffenbaugh is currently a Lead Author for Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)...

https://earth.stanford.edu/noah-diffenbaugh

IPCC Working Group II is not comprised of climate scientists or any other types of scientists. These are policy wonks who dream up disaster scenarios that will result from the AGW, which is assumed to be proven settled science despite the total lack of evidence.

NOAA concluded that the California drought was the result of natural climatic cycles...

Leave a comment:

• Persephone
    replied
    We have many who believe just because it's a Stanford study...it must be all true.

Human-caused climate change is increasing drought risk in California -- boosting the odds that our current crisis will become a fixture of the future, according to a major report Stanford scientists released Monday.

"What has happened in California has been a clear warming trend over the historical record ... that probably would not have happened without humans," said Stanford climate scientist Noah Diffenbaugh.

They don't offer specific recommendations but say their findings could help California plan for the future.

http://www.mercurynews.com/drought/c...stanford-study

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    Going back to June 16/2014, by which time our lil poster boy for plutocracy should have 'figured it out'...

------------------------------------------------

[B]Originally Posted by marktwain View Post
    That the Western United States is gripped in the "Worst prolonged drought in Living Memory, and fi that drought...[......]

There is no trend in drought patterns. The current drought is part of a long-standing cyclical pattern related to the ENSO...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by The Doctor; 21 Jun 14 at 15:06.. [/I]

No drought, eh,DOC?
    Firstly, learn how to read. The post you half-assed tried to quote said, "There is no trend in drought patterns. The current drought is part of a long-standing cyclical pattern related to the ENSO."

Secondly, learn how to actually quote posts.

Thirdly, instead of lying about what I have posted, quote the post in which I supposedly claimed "that California will be lusher than Ireland' by 2014."

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    More docTOCK....

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    Instead of lying about what I have posted, quote the post in which I supposedly claimed "that California will be lusher than Ireland' by 2014."

Going back to June 16/2014, by which time our lil poster boy for plutocracy should have 'figured it out'...

------------------------------------------------

[B]Originally Posted by marktwain View Post
    That the Western United States is gripped in the "Worst prolonged drought in Living Memory, and fi that drought...[......]

There is no trend in drought patterns. The current drought is part of a long-standing cyclical pattern related to the ENSO...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by The Doctor; 21 Jun 14 at 15:06.. [/I]

No drought, eh,DOC?

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Are you saying the illegals actual bathe?
    Nah, he's implying they lap water out of the toilet like a cocker spaniel would...

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Are you saying the illegals actual bathe?

Snow pack in Colorado, BTW, is "adequate", but not "normal".

It hasn't been "normal" for decades, which is why the major ski resorts all have installed snow-making equipment...which uses one hell of a lot of water.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Imo its all the illegals cramming themselves into houses like clown cars. Unrestricted illegal immigration leads to overwhelming water usage.

Not farming...

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by joea View Post

Moving on...maybe Doc would like to comment on these two articles from ideologically opposite poles (ugh I hate when science questions are politicised) claim there is no drought in California.

First article, some local newssite the author - looking at his other posts seems to be pro GOP and business and anti-Governor Brown.
    http://halfwaytoconcord.com/drought-in-california/

Although I don't think cotton is essential for nutrition either.

Next is from Earth First Newswire and I think we can assume what slant they have.

http://earthfirstjournal.org/newswir...ed-water-ways/

The rest of the article is typical anarcho-primitivism nonsense.

Both claim the water problem is caused by intensive agriculture. I have to say that seems to make sense to me, if water use patterns have already been posted I am sorry it is late and I am tired.
    The desire for intensive agriculture was the motivation to build lots of dams and reservoirs from the 1920's through the 1960's. Without enhanced irrigation, the US would never have become the world leader in food production.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    You obviously never farmed. The Palmer index is 'short term crop surface moisture.'
    Crop Moisture Index: Derived from the Palmer, the Crop Moisture Index reflects moisture supply in the short-term across major crop-producing regions. It identifies potential agricultural droughts. It is not intended to assess long-term droughts.

California's Crop Moisture Index is near normal...

PDSI, "primarily reflects long-term drought." It is one of several Palmer indicies...
    The PDSI is a meteorological drought index, and it responds to weather conditions that have been abnormally dry or abnormally wet. When conditions change from dry to normal or wet, for example, the drought measured by the PDSI ends without taking into account streamflow, lake and reservoir levels, and other longer-term hydrologic impacts (Karl and Knight, 1985). The PDSI is calculated based on precipitation and temperature data, as well as the local Available Water Content (AWC) of the soil. From the inputs, all the basic terms of the water balance equation can be determined, including evapotranspiration, soil recharge, runoff, and moisture loss from the surface layer. Human impacts on the water balance, such as irrigation, are not considered. Complete descriptions of the equations can be found in the original study by Palmer (1965) and in the more recent analysis by Alley (1984).
    http://drought.unl.edu/Planning/Moni...ntro/PDSI.aspx

PDSI indicates drought conditions over much of California...

The Palmer Z Index is a short term measure. The Palmer Drought Index and Palmer Hydrological Index are long-term measures.

Last edited by The Doctor; 02 Mar 15, 19:49.

Leave a comment:

• joea
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    As a battle of wits, this lacks suspense.

One side is unarmed.

Moving on...maybe Doc would like to comment on these two articles from ideologically opposite poles (ugh I hate when science questions are politicised) claim there is no drought in California.

First article, some local newssite the author - looking at his other posts seems to be pro GOP and business and anti-Governor Brown.
    http://halfwaytoconcord.com/drought-in-california/

There is a phony drought in California. California has no shortage of water. The shortage is a lack of brain power and political will in Sacramento and Washington, D.C.
    In California, 80 percent of all water goes for agricultural purposes. The remaining 20 percent goes for municipal and industrial use. In numerical terms, 39 million acre-feet go for farming, leaving 9 million acre-feet for municipal and industrial use. These 9 million acre-feet are enough for 45 million people.
    Thus, agriculture is the water hog. Powerful agricultural interests argue that farming creates food for people and that water for farms must be protected.
    However, much of California agriculture is used for specialty crops like almonds and avocadoes. A small amount of farm water goes for cotton and rice.
    Enjoyable as almonds and avocadoes may be, these foods are not essential for human nutrition.
    Although I don't think cotton is essential for nutrition either.

Next is from Earth First Newswire and I think we can assume what slant they have.

http://earthfirstjournal.org/newswir...ed-water-ways/

California is the fruit basket of the United States, producing nearly half of all domestically-grown fruits, nuts, and vegetables. Farms use a huge 80% of the state’s “developed water,” or water that is diverted from rivers and aquifers and into pipes and aqueducts for human use. Corporate agribusiness donated $850 thousand to the Prop 1 campaign. Obviously, this is no coincidence. That contribution—which may seem large—is actually quite small when compared to the profits derived from the heavily irrigated farms of the Central Valley. In 2012, the state’s agricultural exports brought in $18.8 billion.
    The rest of the article is typical anarcho-primitivism nonsense.

Both claim the water problem is caused by intensive agriculture. I have to say that seems to make sense to me, if water use patterns have already been posted I am sorry it is late and I am tired.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    The recent rains have brought most of California into short-term balance...

The long-term recovery will require the ENSO to shift into an El Niño-dominant phase.
    You obviously never farmed. The Palmer index is 'short term crop surface moisture.'

Bad day, Davey? You seem rather 'peckish'.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Awwww- poooor Davey.

I posted a sampler of your California climate bummers. Shovelling your 39,000 posts of catscat is YOUR job

Get to it.
    Instead of lying about what I have posted, quote the post in which I supposedly claimed "that California will be lusher than Ireland' by 2014."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X